Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How short of a barrel is speer gold dot 223 effective?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Technically, they wouldn't refuse to sell anything. I believe I was told that they will typically recommend an American Eagle equivalent load for training if a .223 duty round is sourced.
    But I mean, they discontinued it, right? It could get used in a .223 chamber! The only safe way, is to discontinue it, along with M855, just like they did the Gold Dot 5.56...

See what I mean? The story is what it is, I know, but it doesn't hold up for beans in the court of common sense, IMO

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    But I mean, they discontinued it, right? It could get used in a .223 chamber! The only safe way, is to discontinue it, along with M855, just like they did the Gold Dot 5.56...

See what I mean? The story is what it is, I know, but it doesn't hold up for beans in the court of common sense, IMO
    Business decisions and common sense rarely go hand in hand...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Business decisions and common sense rarely go hand in hand...
    This x100

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    That is complete BS. I am not saying that that isn't their CLAIM, but it's bogus. The real reason is that when you push the Gold Dot faster, you end up with worse terminal performance due to increased fragmentation due to the "softer" design of the projectile.

The reason that I assert this claim as bogus is that I can waltz right down to Cabela's in the morning and buy as much American Eagle 5.56 pressure XM193 as I want. There is very little logical basis for the above claim, in light of this.
    That is exactly what the ATK rep told my agency as well.

However, i agree with you for the reasons stated. We can see the limits of projectile structural integrity when fired from 18+ inch barrels into gel blocks at close range from the .223 pressure loads.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    How does the 55gr GD compare? Picked up a couple hundred rounds for a song recently.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    More velocity would be nice but its not a deal breaker for me. I would care more if I had an optic with a BDC reticle but since Im running an RDS its a non issue, I just need to confirm at range and know my hold overs. The 75gr allows me to throw more mass downrange and get expansion out to 300 yards without breaking the bank especially since heavy OTM 5.56 and monolithic coppers are more than 2x the price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    More velocity would be nice but its not a deal breaker for me. I would care more if I had an optic with a BDC reticle but since Im running an RDS its a non issue, I just need to confirm at range and know my hold overs. The 75gr allows me to throw more mass downrange and get expansion out to 300 yards without breaking the bank especially since heavy OTM 5.56 and monolithic coppers are more than 2x the price.
    What? No. The 75gr gold dots are only cheaper right now on sale at PSA, normally and everywhere else they are $1.00+ per round, unlike mk262 clones that are regularly $0.60 - $0.68 a round.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If that is true wouldn't it be best to stick to 64gr for SBRs to keep the velocity up beyond the expansion threshold as long as possible?
    ?????

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If that is true wouldn't it be best to stick to 64gr for SBRs to keep the velocity up beyond the expansion threshold as long as possible?
    Bump - as I would like to know the answer to Eurodriver's question as well.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Bump - as I would like to know the answer to Eurodriver's question as well.
    Yes, the lighter the bullet, the higher your muzzle velocity and thus the downrange velocity will be higher also, up to a certain point...which extends your effective range (terminally).

According to DocGKR, you want the heavier bullets for fragmenting OTM construction, whereas you can be effective with lighter bullets that are of an expanding design. IOW, it's not necessary to have heavier bullets if it's a barrier blind (expanding) round.

IMO, 62-64gr is a good balance between velocity/weight/effective range/ect. for a round like the GD. Going lighter or heavier should depend on what performance envelope you want to attain.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-26-16 at 22:12.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast