Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBR Conundrum

Feedback Score
    I would be interested in the outcome of this if you can remember to post it 18 months from now.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that Title I firearms may be converted back and forth pistol-rifle-pistol but a "manufactured" Title II SBR from a pistol is in my mind a no go because your lower is now a manufactured short barreled RIFLE and you cannot go rifle-pistol-rifle.

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but it would seem a lot more people would be using the remove from NFA registry, sell firearm as Title I firearm, have buyer re-manufacture firearm into SBR trick to avoid long delays in receiving your firearm and to save money in tax stamps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Keep in mind that Title I firearms may be converted back and forth pistol-rifle-pistol but a "manufactured" Title II SBR from a pistol is in my mind a no go because your lower is now a manufactured short barreled RIFLE and you cannot go rifle-pistol-rifle.

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but it would seem a lot more people would be using the remove from NFA registry, sell firearm as Title I firearm, have buyer re-manufacture firearm into SBR trick to avoid long delays in receiving your firearm and to save money in tax stamps.
    There are really two arguments to that discussion and I understand both of them.

People tend to reference ATF Ruling 2011-4 (Thompson Center) to say you can do it, but it never specifically references an SBR.

The only time I've ever seen the ATF address it was in an email reply to somebody asking the question...and they said "yes" to converting SBR back to pistol (that started as a pistol).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    You'll be responsible for engraving maker's info again.
    Yep, it's going to look kind of jacked up with his info on it and your info on it (if that sort of thing bothers you like it would me).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I decided to get a NIB railed version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12