Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripsaw AR 15

Feedback Score

Ripsaw AR 15

Hey everyone,

Have the opportunity to purchase a Keystone Armory Ripsaw. It's an integrated suppressed ar-15 with a '16' inch barrel. The 223/5.56 is advertised as being 30-40 percent quieter then typical supressed ar-15 which is very appealing to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? The fact that I could purchase cheap 223 ammo and plink without ears as well as use this for home defense seems worth it, but I'm not sure if it's legit. It seems too good to be true.

Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with that rifle, but the claims are questionable.

It's not wise to shoot 5.56 without hearing protection, due to bullet noise. The suppressor doesn't slow the bullet down, and supersonic bullets make noise...quite a bit, actually. Its loud enough by itself to make earplugs a good idea. The suppressor reduces only the muzzle blast.

With a permanently mounted suppressor, if the builder reduced the gas (smaller gas port, adjustable gas block or similar), you'll get less noise at the ejection port, but it's not something unique to that rifle (if they do this, I don't know). I doubt that company spends the money testing and developing their suppressors that the big players in the industry do. The real 'advantage' to that weapon would be the single tax stamp... but many people would rather fork out the extra $200 and be able to take the suppressor off (or put it on another rifle).

Having said that, it's much easier to make a big suppressor quiet than a small, light suppressor. Since the suppressor can be big (because the permanently attached bit has to be 16 inches or more in length), they don't have to try as hard to make an effective suppressor.

I Googled it to have a look, but couldn't find a price. I suspect for what they are asking, you could have a proper SBR and a muzzle can and some spare change in your pocket. You'd also have a better, more flexible setup. They claim to have invented the permanently attached suppressor.... they didn't.

One final thought. Center fire suppressors get hot. Crazy hot. They say theirs doesn't. I don't believe them. Every 'under the hand guard' center fire suppressor I've ever seen gets too hot to hold very quickly.

Really, it sounds to me like they are marketing to people who don't know anything about suppressed rifles....and almost all of their claims are exaggerations or lies.
    Last edited by eodinert; 08-07-16 at 05:30.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the awesome reply! I was wondering those same things as well!

Feedback Score
    Any experience with Spikes Tactical compressor as well? I've got all the suppressors I need, just looking for a fun plinking toy. Again, I don't know anyone with this weapon. I was pretty interested in their 300blk.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a big spikes fan, myself... but some people seem to be really happy with them.

Daniel Defense makes a 300 blk with a fixed suppressor, if you really have to do this fixed suppressor thing.... but if you SBR a 6920 yourself, buy a suppressor from a major manufacturer, and pay the two tax stamps, you'll be ahead money wise, and practicality wise (IMO).

Here is the DD in 300 blk if you still want to go that route: https://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-daniel-defense-m4-isr

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you're wanting a fun shooting rifle, one with the can under the rail ain't gonna be it. The thing will heat up like stink unless you follow a pretty tame rate of fire schedule. That, or invest in Nomex gloves.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Questionable brand, highly questionable claims. Would not buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    After waiting 8 months I shot my Keystone Armory ripsaw in 300 BLK for the the first time. It's easily quieter than my SBR with a Silencerco Omega can. 100 rounds without a hiccup. SIG 220 subsonic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Still (im)patiently waiting for BATFE to release my stamp for my ripsaw (along with 4 other cans). Any other updates/reviews from your time with your rifle? Would love a full write up if you have the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
    Still (im)patiently waiting for BATFE to release my stamp for my ripsaw (along with 4 other cans). Any other updates/reviews from your time with your rifle? Would love a full write up if you have the time.
    I will be going out again soon, perhaps tomorrow. My date of submission was 4/8, though the stamp was ready before the rifle was. I'm waiting on a 5.56 ripsaw, date of submission was the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast