Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing Recoil in a Colt M4/LE6920

Feedback Score
    As said, proper form is the big one. Don't look into harware fixes until you are proficient. Proper instruction is going to help a lot.

Stock should rest in the meaty part of your shoulder, and holt it tight against the shoulder. I keep my shoulders slightly forward to absorb recoil. Doing this Ive shot boxes of 3" 12 ga slugs without any pain or redness, and especially with an ar, I notice faster followups (sights back on target quicker).

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shooting form is important and muzzle devices can help, but the most important difference between the two rifles affecting recoil is as IG pointed out- Weight. The RR rifle is noticeably heavier than the 6920. Extra weight soaks up a lot of free recoil.

3176312, you are going to have to accept the fact your lighter 6920 is going to kick harder than your buddy's heavier RR. It has nothing to do with "dwell time" or buffers or gas port diameters because the 6920 is properly tuned and Colt all the details right. It's just a simple fact of physics that, all else being equal, a heavier rifle has less recoil than a lighter rifle. You can even look up the formula and crunch the number for yourself
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I doubt I'd swap out the buffer system on a stock Colt for the Vltor A5. If I was building from scratch? Yes. A5! I'd, first, make sure the gun has the correct H2 buffer. I definitely DO NOT like deviating from the USGI SS spring.

Depending on the ammo you run, you could go up one buffer heavier... but as stated, you risk the possibility of causing reliability issues.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Reducing Recoil in a Colt M4/LE6920

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus View Post
    The Colt 6920 has a carbine length gas system with a 16 inch barrel. It has more gas coming back due to the increased dwell time of having the 16 inch barrel.

Does your buddies RRA have a mid-length gas system? On a 16 inch barrel, a mid-length gas system will shoot quite smoothly.

My personal suggestion would be to swap the recoil spring out as opposed to getting the $215 Vltor A5 kit (if it's even available). I swapped the recoil spring on my older LE 6920 with the Sprinco white spring. However I guess they now suggest to get their extra power red spring for the newer Colt 6920's that don't have the LE markings. Anyways, it definitely helped out with felt recoil. That extra 1.5 inches of dwell time on 16 inch barrels with carbine gas systems really is noticeable compared to gas systems that have the appropriate barrel lengths.

Here is the link to Sprinco's AR springs: http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html
    This^^^. (The CAR v. Middy part).

My 6920 compared to my friends RRA middy is night and day. Hell, his even seem quieter somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JC5188; 08-08-16 at 17:34.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From cheapest to most expensive:
    Use weaker ammo (PMC Bronze), -$0.10/rd
    Improve your stance, free
    Get a heavier spring (Springco Blue), ~$20
    Get a heavier buffer (H2 or 3), ~$35
    Get a stock with rubber padding on the back, ~$50
    Install a muzzle brake or compensator, ~$100-150
    Install a full A5 kit, ~$200
    Install a heavier barrel with a mid-length gas system, ~$250-300
    Hang lights and lasers and grips off the front of your rail, ~$allthemoney

From most effective to least effective (in my opinion):
    Install a muzzle brake or compensator
    Improve your stance
    Use weaker ammo
    Full A5 kit
    Spring and/or buffer change
    Barrel and gas system change
    Change your stock
    Hang more things on your rifle to make it heavier
    Last edited by Koshinn; 08-08-16 at 18:23.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Shoot 50 rounds of 300 WM from a Remington 700. Shoot your 6920. No more recoil problem.
    ^^This^^ Or a 12 gauge.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Shoot 50 rounds of 300 WM from a Remington 700. Shoot your 6920. No more recoil problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    ^^This^^ Or a 12 gauge.
    The OP didn't say the recoil was unmanageable nor that it was painful.

He just noted that there was more recoil than his friend's rifle and wants to reduce it.

No need to compare caliber sizes.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 08-08-16 at 18:44.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3176312 View Post
    First off, I'm very new to long guns and M4's/AR's. In saying that, I bought my first one a few months ago and have about 300 or so rounds through it. My buddy bought a Rock River Arms and we went out shooting yesterday. I tried his and there was barely any recoil. You shoot mine and there's some kickback from it.

Now his has a heavier barrel profile compared to mine, and overall, it's a bit heaver in weight. I have a feeling though that the buffer spring has something to do with reducing the recoil.

If I wanted to reduce the recoil on mine (The stock M4 I have), what would I need to swap out? What is the pro/con to changing the buffer spring?

Thanks!

Your rifle does not need any adjustments.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    for zero recoil, try the ALG single chamber brake. it works incredibly well at least for me.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ke&groupid=579

i use one for 400 yards so that my sight picture isn't disturbed during recoil. with the ALG SCB i can stay sighted on a 4" steel plate at 400 yards AFTER the shot breaks. pretty cool. the downside is this comes at quite a price in terms of blast and concusion. it is straight up unpleasant to be anywhere in the lateral vicinity of the rifle during shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The Spike's buffer is not comparable to a correct style buffer. Advocating a different buffer that creates a malfunction isn't smart.
    Someone should tell Spikes and all their thrilled customers that. I have no preference myself. Just know my build runs like Forrest out of leg braces...

OP another suggestion I highly agree with is getting a recoil pad or padded stock. That really does change the feel of recoil despite not actually affecting factory set-up. It's a smart choice.
    Last edited by LaserTag; 08-08-16 at 21:21.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast