Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro Inspired rifle project.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Retro Inspired rifle project.

So my C8 build is on hold currently because I now have three retro/retro inspired projects going at once and I'm just going to wait and send out all three barrels to have the FSBs attached at the same time rather than separately and have to pay shipping three different times (I'm a cheapskate), and I still need to get the third barrel. Two of the barrels will be getting pinned muzzle devices as well. Those two aspects of the builds - attaching FSBs and pinning flash hiders - are a bit beyond my current skill level. Everything else I intend to do myself.

So the second build is going to be this retro inspired rifle. Currently nothing is holding the upper half together but here is more or less how it will look eventually.

3 prong flash hider, 18" FN chrome lined, CHF gov't profile barrel. Non-F FSB, A1 handguards, flat slip ring...you get the idea.
    The Magpul trigger guard has since been swapped for a standard one. It is an A2 lower but I'm just going to roll with that for now.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 08-08-16 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That should look pretty cool when you get it done. I have seen a couple others done similar to that one.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    That should look pretty cool when you get it done. I have seen a couple others done similar to that one.
    I've seen pics of a couple 18" A2 style rifles but no A1s. In order to determine how I'd feel about this particular "look" I took a couple pics of Colt Model 606s and altered them in Microsoft Paint to have shorter barrels, thus creating a decent photographic facsimile of what I wanted to build. Looked neat enough for me to proceed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I've seen pics of a couple 18" A2 style rifles but no A1s. In order to determine how I'd feel about this particular "look" I took a couple pics of Colt Model 606s and altered them in Microsoft Paint to have shorter barrels, thus creating a decent photographic facsimile of what I wanted to build. Looked neat enough for me to proceed.
    I'm thinking of doing an A2 using an 18" .223 WYLDE SS barrel using an A2 FSGB. Kind of unconventional but with the regular A2 bird cage flash hider or a Spikes shorty I can get a little longer barrel in SS but the full rifle length sight distance. Kind of like a stretch Dissipator.

What are Yall's opinions please ... ???
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Beautiful!

Feedback Score
    So my C8 build is on hold currently because I now have three retro/retro inspired projects going at once and I'm just going to wait and send out all three barrels to have the FSBs attached at the same time rather than separately and have to pay shipping three different times (I'm a cheapskate), and I still need to get the third barrel. Two of the barrels will be getting pinned muzzle devices as well. Those two aspects of the builds - attaching FSBs and pinning flash hiders - are a bit beyond my current skill level. Everything else I intend to do myself.

So the second build is going to be this retro inspired rifle. Currently nothing is holding the upper half together but here is more or less how it will look eventually.

3 prong flash hider, 18" FN chrome lined, CHF gov't profile barrel. Non-F FSB, A1 handguards, flat slip ring...you get the idea.
    The Magpul trigger guard has since been swapped for a standard one. It is an A2 lower but I'm just going to roll with that for now.
    Nice gun. Good job !!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys, but don't congratulate me yet, it's technically still just an incomplete bunch of pieces. But I agree it ought to look kinda neat when it's finished. Not quite the A1 rifle or the 605 carbine clone I had in mind initially but this idea just sort of appealed to me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update. I'm right behind you with and 18" build in addition to the GAU5/5A and the M16A1 clones I'm doing.

At my age I need the rifle length sight picture when using irons. I got an SS 18" bbl. on sale so I thought why not just screw it on to a DPMS A2 upper and see what happens?

Please keep us informed on the progress of your build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I'm right behind you with and 18" build in addition to the GAU5/5A and the M16A1 clones I'm doing.
    Cool, I've got sort of a GUU-5/P in the works as well, in fact that one may end up being the first one I finish.
    Why the GUU? Because apparently the only rule is that there are no rules, so my example is going to have an A1 upper and the M4 barrel, which is one of the configurations I've seen pics of, so there is a precedent for that arrangement at least.

Feedback Score
    Cool, I've got sort of a GUU-5/P in the works as well, in fact that one may end up being the first one I finish.
    Why the GUU? Because apparently the only rule is that there are no rules, so my example is going to have an A1 upper and the M4 barrel, which is one of the configurations I've seen pics of, so there is a precedent for that arrangement at least.
    This is true. The USAF recycles parts all the time. I know they were doing this back in the 80(s) when I was in and I would not be surprised to learn that nothing has changed much.

One thing I remember very well is the use of the single heat shield and double heat shield hand guards on the carbines, as well as the moderators. It's almost like no 2 were alike. Only E-5(s) and above had them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast