Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Inspired rifle project.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    This is true. The USAF recycles parts all the time. I know they were doing this back in the 80(s) when I was in and I would not be surprised to learn that nothing has changed much.

One thing I remember very well is the use of the single heat shield and double heat shield hand guards on the carbines, as well as the moderators. It's almost like no 2 were alike. Only E-5(s) and above had them.
    Yeah the GUUs were apparently really inconsistent. Slick side, A1, and even A2 uppers, pencil or M4 style barrels, anything goes.
    I'm no USAF expert and basically picked the GUU for a build because of the apparent ease of getting it "right" rather than any particular connection to the Air Force. My grandfather served in the USAF in North Africa, where he enjoyed his meals of camel meat and warm beer, but that was long before the GUU or even the AR period.

Feedback Score

Question Retro-Isa A2 build

IMG_0007_zpspghhnqbj.jpg

This is the 18" SS A2 build I'm referring to. How do Y'all think this would turn out with an A2 stock?
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMG_0007_zpspghhnqbj.jpg

This is the 18" SS A2 build I'm referring to. How do Y'all think this would turn out with an A2 stock?
    Looks more like 16" barrel to me....either way I think a fixed stock would look good on it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That's a 16" dissipator. It'd look even better with an A1 stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IMG_0007_zpspghhnqbj.jpg

With a mix of the A1, A2, and A4, I think that an A1 stock would look best, but an A2 would be better than the CAR stock on it now. BTW, that does really look like a 16" barrel. Compare it to the 15" barrel on my Model 605.

Last edited by Renegade04; 08-25-16 at 11:37.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I've got an A4-based Dissipator using the 16" barrel and it appears the SS barrel in the photo is just a bit longer. I may be wrong. Regardless, the barrel I have now is an 18" SS in .223 Wylde with a 1-7" twist. I have a new DPMS A2 upper that I want to use for the build with a Colt "CSR" lower.

As for the stock I have the following options: A1-D stock (an old and worn original that I will be refinishing soon), a new A2 stock, and of course a Magpul STR stock. I plan on using all black furniture.

The A1 stocks fit me better as I have a smaller frame however my shooting is not adversely affected when firing A2 stocks, or other stocks. To be honest, I'm tempted to just finish out the A1-D stock and see how that works.

I do agree that a full stock looks better on weapons with 18"+ barrel and Dissipators.

Although the carbines in any configuration nowadays are most popular, my eyesight at my age greatly benefits from the full rifle-length sight picture and this is what I will shoot most with excepting the GAU-5/5A commemorative SBR I'm doing to commemorate my retirement. I don't personally expect much precise accuracy at more than 100 yards with my eyes firing through irons or an Armson OEG on the SBR.

The 16" Dissipator I have uses either a Magpul flip-up sight or a Aimpoint PRO. I have an A1-E stock on this and it's a very comfortable and sweet shooter.

From now on I will most likely use the AR15 and AR10 platforms limited to the full rifle-length sight distance, or at least a carbine 16" barrel. I seem to do pretty good still with a 20" barrel using iron sights.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    very cool!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12