Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel vs Rail slightly askew?

Feedback Score

Barrel vs Rail slightly askew?

I have a relatively new rifle (maybe 100rds) that I was changing the comp on today. I had to really torque it to get it to index. It was in an upper vise. I noticed after that the barrel didnt look to be coming out of the handguard straight. To be fair, it may have looked this way prior to changing the comp so I am not sure I did anything. When I measured, it was about .02-.03incch off.
    I took off the rail,and to my best determined that the barrel looked quite straight. I put the handguard back on and it looked straighter, but when I measured it was still .01-.02inch off. It is a 15inch rail on a 16inch barrel, so there is no further skew after.

Is that enough to be worried about, how much skew would be? Any other things I can do to straighten it? Should I consider sending it back to Stag to check?

Feedback Score
    IMG_20160810_220537.jpgIMG_20160810_220422.jpgIMG_20160810_220445.jpgIMG_20160810_220350.jpg

Not sure if any of the images help, as even the slightest bit off by me causes it to look either better or worse lol
    Last edited by Curh; 08-11-16 at 00:10. Reason: text

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks off to me, I would guess it to be the rail. If you made it better, perhaps there is some wiggle room? I once overtorqued a DD RIS-II and it didn't take much (I made a couple extra passes trying to make sure the screws were the same snugness) and that indented the backing plate and rail which would never line up properly after that. Fortunately Brownell's took it back even though I told them I messed it up!

BTW your muzzle device looks under-clocked. If it's too tight, you might try shims.. Also, not all crush washers are equal. I once had a new one that cracked before it was fully compressed (about half compressed) !!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ouchonyee View Post
    Looks off to me, I would guess it to be the rail. If you made it better, perhaps there is some wiggle room? I once overtorqued a DD RIS-II and it didn't take much (I made a couple extra passes trying to make sure the screws were the same snugness) and that indented the backing plate and rail which would never line up properly after that. Fortunately Brownell's took it back even though I told them I messed it up!

BTW your muzzle device looks under-clocked. If it's too tight, you might try shims.. Also, not all crush washers are equal. I once had a new one that cracked before it was fully compressed (about half compressed) !!
    The way this rail attaches, Im not sure I could do anything to make it more left/right. Which image did you think showed it off, and which way? I may have to just send it to Stag.

And yeah, the comp is a bit under. I noticed it wasnt all the way but didnt touch it as I am trying to figure out this askewed rail thing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seems like the rail is pointing to the left (shooters view, not picture view) But in the second pic, it seems the camera is not centered to the rail (judging by the picatinny rail), and it's hard to tell if centered to barrel. But if you measured it, it must be..

Feedback Score
    Stag had no problem doing a warranty so its on the way to them. Will see when I get the upper back!

Feedback Score
    Don't use an upper receiver vise block to change out a muzzle devise because bad things can happen.

This is what barrel vise blocks are for.

Feedback Score
    That makes sense, never had an issue before. What would you recommend when the rail covers the entire barrel, taking it off just to change the muzzle device?
    Any recommendation on a good block?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curh View Post
    That makes sense, never had an issue before. What would you recommend when the rail covers the entire barrel, taking it off just to change the muzzle device?
    Any recommendation on a good block?
    Geissele Reaction Rod is the tool you want

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Geissele Reaction Rod is the tool you want
    NO it is not. Here we go again... Holding the barrel is the right way. Most rails will come off in 5 minutes or less if it is in the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast