Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hkbeltfed's ACR, related projects, and pics

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks fellas!

I've started a trunnion interest thread on the ACR forum if anyone wants one...

Click here

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Carriers lightened to 10.5 oz...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What's reliability like on those? Still need to get a little more weight out of mine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have no idea! Going to find out. I'm also using Marvin's gas system which allows for tuning via different parts, unlike the stock system.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Some Version 2 trunnions I had machined with a forward assist ramp, some chamfer changes, some dimensional changes to the OP rod tower as Bushmater's mating charging handle sled tolerances seem to be all over the place, and hardcoat anodize even in the threaded holes. I'm pretty happy!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    2.8 oz, I know I could have made it lighter, but I chose not to. I wanted simple, lengthwise cuts... just like the stock carrier, the Masada, and Remington's lightened carrier.

Not sure what you mean re: malfunction clearing. It's very similar to the Masada and I haven't heard of issues with it. I know they made it heavier with an insert to combat bolt bounce. Haven't even shot mine yet, so I guess I'll find out.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    V2 charging handles in 6061. Still not sure on how well these will hold up. The V1's I didn't prototype and they didn't install well as the bend was too tight. Scary side note: I never prototyped the V2 handles or either of the trunnions! These handles install perfect though!

And my next project which Surefire Socom owners may like...

Last edited by Hkbeltfed; 04-08-17 at 18:04.

Feedback Score
    Dumb question: I've been eyeing a Bren carbine for a while. What does the ACR offer over it, assuming they're around the same price?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Bren.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Dumb question: I've been eyeing a Bren carbine for a while. What does the ACR offer over it, assuming they're around the same price?
    I own a Bren but have only handled an ACR so this is off the top of my head. A lot of the features of either are subjective to user preference.

Both have quick change barrel systems but the ACR should be much faster with a lever under the barrel to detach it. The Bren has to be field stripped without tools to remove the stock, BCG, charging handle, recoil spring and piston assembly. Only one CZ supplied tool (or aftermarket Torx tool) is needed to remove 6 bolts which secure the barrel to the upper then the barrel assembly can be removed and replaced.

Replacement barrel assemblies in 1:7 twist for the ACR are starting to appear on Brownells but they are crazy expensive at nearly $600. I'm not aware of any other factory replacement parts for the ACR other than the stock and hand guard as of yet.

CZ has a lot of replacement parts for the Bren except for major ones like the barrel assembly, BCG, upper and lower receivers.

The weight of the ACR is listed at 7.9-9.8lb and the Bren is listed at 7.9lb.

The ACR has a fixed grip that resembles the Magpul MOE grip. The Bren has a fixed grip with a replaceable back strap.

The stock Bren 2-stage trigger is nicer. The Bren also has a nicer (IMO) 45 degree ambidextrous safety while the ACR is 90 degree ambidextrous.

The ACR has a reversible, non-reciprocating charging handle while the Bren's is reversible, reciprocating.

They both have ambi mag releases.

The ACR has an bolt release while the Bren doesn't have a bolt release at all. You just pop the charging handle on an empty chamber and mag swap.

The ACR has factory QD sling attachments while you have to buy aftermarket for the Bren.

The ACR factory stock is much better. So much so that there are aftermarket adapters for the Bren and SCAR to use the ACR stock.

I love my Bren and wouldn't get rid of it but I'd eventually like to add an ACR to my collection.

If the Bren 806 is ever released in the US at a reasonable price I believe it will be better than the Bren 805, SCAR, ACR and most if not all other modern modular, monolithic upper carbines.
    Last edited by Waylander; 04-10-17 at 21:26.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast