Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You can build one cheaper???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well what I want doesn't come off the shelf. It would be hard to build a basic M4 for cheaper. But that's not what I'm building anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "75% of gun owners would be just as happy with airsoft." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have built a couple of ARs cheaper and they run reliably. I've also built one for a cost that could have paid for an upper end AR, but not configured the way I wanted it. However, there's no way I could have gotten what I wanted without spending the time learning about ARs and searching for the parts or rifle kits that I wanted. Much of my savings came from waiting weeks for just the right rifle kit to go on sale. For somebody to simply throw out the suggestion "you can build one cheaper" shows a definite lack of knowledge on their part.

I agree with Averageman- For a minimally informed buyer, the Easy Button is the Colt. Telling minimally informed buyer they can build an AR cheaper without taking the time to lead them by the hand through every step, from selecting each part to ensuring everything is assembled and torqued correctly, is a disservice
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-13-16 at 16:53.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    The guys who butt in with that have usually: a) never built anything, b) want to look like the top expert on the subject, and c) get all kinds of butthurt when called out.

The OP is absolutely correct. Someone who won't spend the time to research a purchase certainly won't invest the time to build, let alone spend the time to research and properly select the parts required to build a serviceable weapon.

In my opinion you build an AR to meet certain needs/desires that are not met by an off the rack purchase. The individual asking for advice on their first and likely only AR purchase doesn't even know what criteria they might want such a build to meet.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can't build one cheaper. I used to believe that line of thinking until I actually built one. I didn't buy a KAC right away because I thought it was "too expensive" at $2100, $2400 just in parts later, I still didn't have a KAC, I had a BCM that was heavier, didn't have all the same features and was more expensive. $2400 didn't even include the tools I needed.

IMO, when people talk about building an AR, 98.174% of the time they have a beer stain on their wife beater and it was built using parts from companies I've never heard of, or wish I hadn't.

It's really simple economics... Who do you think is going to be able to it cheaper at the same quality? Bubba buying all the tools, and buying all the parts (which have each been marked up for profit), likely not all at the same time from the same place, paying shipping, a transfer fee etc... Or... A company, I'll use Colt as an example, who has been making the gun for what? Nearly 60 years?

The same people I hear saying "you can build one cheaper!" Are the same mouth breathers saying "all the parts come from the same place!"

Feedback Score
    the notion that you can build one cheaper, buying and shipping one part at a time, than a builder who buys and ships things in bulk is ludicrous

you have absolutely no way to know if the BCG you bought from some vendor with a 4 page spread in Firearms News is good enough or sub Yugo quality. complete upper kit with no indication of who made the parts. somebody says 4140 steel barrel, and I think of the Walmart size 10 1/2 shoes that will not go on my Red Wing 10 1/2 feet. there is American 4140 steel, and Chinese 4140 steel.

Do the research - definitely read the books by Patrick Sweeney, but the only hope of getting good parts is to stick with the half dozen reputable suppliers.

one step worse is the simple SOB who wants to know "what's the best..." there is no best anything. this question is equally stupid in any context; cellphone, AR-15, dirt bike, ice cream - there is no best anything. If I had a forum any thread with "best" in the title would be removed in seconds.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I trust myself to build the upper, I mean complete DD or Colt bcg, noveske or centurion barrel, Geissele rail, but all the little parts in a lower leaves me knowing i would lose something so I just buy complete bcm lowers

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Inevitably someone will pipe in with "You can build one cheaper".
    Just say... "No..., one can, if one knows how and has the tools and ability to do so."

Feedback Score
    no such thing as cheaper than ______
    there are always sacrifices.

imho the small no name company either cant afford to reject parts bcm would or they lack the proper skill, machine or prints to do good work.

you custom build the gun to have specific components you dont see from a reputable mfgr.

for example. i am on a budget for my ar pistol. i want the quality but i cannot afford the up front cost. here is what i did.

aac 9in 300 blk upper (bcm didnt make them yet).
    i knew aac was gtg for the sbr pistol size.

my lower was the cheaper forged seekins.
    alg lpk with their trigger
    pws buffer tube
    spikes st t2 buffer
    cheap endplate

now i have: a law folder, troy hk buis, raptor ch, possibly the low pro forward assist, magpul qd end plate, ms4 qd sling

future purchases will be 1-6 uso scope and a geissele ssa trigger

its been perfect using factory. my only issue was my reload ussing the sierra 110 Varminter.

i could have bought cheaper but at the time aac was it for the reliable 9 inch 300 blk barrel

the basic colt 6920 is the base line for 5.56/.223 rifles.
    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 08-14-16 at 02:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Just say... "No..., one can, if one knows how and has the tools and ability to do so."
    Honestly, I'm done with it. My new reply will be "Go read up on it and get back with me."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Maybe you can, but by the time I bought all the parts I wanted it has never ended up that way for me.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast