Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning with Solvent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cleaning with Solvent

I am trying out a new cleaning method on my ARs. I cleaned the upper, bore and barrel with hoppies #9. Then ran a few patches to remove the solvent from the bore and barrel and then ran a few patches of hoppies lube through the barrel.

I am planning on lubricating the BCG with Terta reel, as my local gunsmith recommend. He said to be sure to wipe off the solvent and let it dry before applying the lube. How long do you suggest I let the BCG air dry so all the additional solvent has evaporated?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssGasOrBrass View Post
    I am trying out a new cleaning method on my ARs. I cleaned the upper, bore and barrel with hoppies #9. Then ran a few patches to remove the solvent from the bore and barrel and then ran a few patches of hoppies lube through the barrel.

I am planning on lubricating the BCG with Terta reel, as my local gunsmith recommend. He said to be sure to wipe off the solvent and let it dry before applying the lube. How long do you suggest I let the BCG air dry so all the additional solvent has evaporated?

Thanks

Evaporation of solvents is based purely on the chemical makeup.

Hoppes, not sure, but definitely take your time, use patches and shop towels to soak up as much solvent as possible and try to get that "Dry film" feeling from your anodizing/coating.

Apply your lube generously inside, oil rag touch up all outside, I go as far as any metal furniture and my light lens (to make cleaning the carbon off easier).

Feedback Score
    I blast mine with gun scrubber before lubing. It will get it dry almost immediately.

Feedback Score
    Solvents can have their places and they may act in different ways to help out things, but some items may not really benefit the same, depending on the application.
    Removing carbon and copper in a barrel is not the same as the exterior of a carrier, or inside a lower. Stripping lubrication can make quick work on cleaning a lower, but how much wear could be added without the barrier lube not being removed?
    A quick 10 minute cleaning of an AR would suffer with the removal of the barrier lubrication for most. They would be better served without the potential for added wear.
    Sure, there are areas that we need to be concerned with when cleaning and oiling to make the system run well, but we do not need to spend excess time or assets to go beyond that for most.
    10 minutes with a good chamber brush, bore brush, proper solvent for that application, GI brush, a spent casing, and towels can make an AR run beyond it's intended life span with proper component replacement.
    What else is gained by most? Sure, there are some needs for those few outside of this, but they are not general use carbines.
    How much could one gain going beyond this for a general use carbine?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like overkill for a general/regular cleaning regiment. I just wipe down the BCG and use a good CLP (Breakfree or Ballistol depending on whether I'm shooting corrosive ammo). Maybe once a year I'll swab the bore and give everything a 'detail' cleaning & inspection.

Never heard of Terta Reel as a lubricant. Any good oil will do, I've used synthetic motor oil as it's cheap. But the CLP is convenient and saves me a step. Also easy to reapply on the range if needed.

Feedback Score
    Radical new concept, try synthetic motor oil. I've switched over. The synthetic doesn't smell. It is designed to clean, lube and protect. An engine sees more metal on metal in five minutes running than your gun will see in a lifetime. Plus it costs $8ish. I think the gun lubes out are just watered (mineral oil, vegetable oil) motor oil.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's really easy to overthink gun cleaning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    I blast mine with gun scrubber before lubing. It will get it dry almost immediately.

^^^^^This. I've tried almost every gun solvent out there, nothing comes close to working as well and as fast as Birthwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It cleans deeper and faster than anything I've tried (including non chlorinated brake cleaner). It also doesn't leave any left over residue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's really easy to overthink gun cleaning.
    And to use bad equipment.
    There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching someone in the Military shove a damaged sectioned steel rod down a bore for three consecutive days.

Feedback Score
    For years, the Marine in me wanted white glove, inspection ready cleanliness after every use. Over time, I've gotten a lot better about letting it go and not being so crazy about. It's doesn't have to be immaculate. Now days I hit it with a little solvent, run a bore snake through a few times, and lube it up. That's it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast