Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another poly contender?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it is also a re-branded Tara ar15 than it has a polymer lower. I doubt that the Montenegrins have cracked the code on a good polymer lower for an AR15. Nothing to see here.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    Trigger reminds me of a Walther P99 AS without the decocker.

This interested me:

That's an incredibly generic statement.
    Click on the Tara website, they are obviously Glock sights.

Trigger looks cool. I do really wish there was a hammer or striker block equivalent to pin with your thumb as you reholster.
    Last time I signed one of those White House petitions it resulted in an almost-daily helping of SPAM in the inbox of that account. Worse than even the NRA. And Piers Morgan never did get deported....
    -Hmac

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Pistol looks interesting. The sales rep guy was terrible though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Click on the Tara website, they are obviously Glock sights.
    They can't be Glock sights. The front is dovetailed like the majority of pistols on the market. Sights that fit a Sig might fit but Glock sights would not.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    Trigger reminds me of a Walther P99 AS without the decocker.

This interested me:

That's an incredibly generic statement.
    Which means if you simply let out the trigger fully, you get back into DA - kinda like the LEM from HK - this is pretty cool. If the DA is light and smooth, I might look into this. Then there is the whole holster, mags, etc. issue.

More: http://calibremag.ca/new-gun-preview-schmeisser-slp-9/

Of course I think the P99 is the best looking polymer gun extant.

Trigger specs look nice:

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shoo...pistol-9x19mm/
    Last edited by m4brian; 08-17-16 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Marketed by Chermans, made in Montenegro. I think.
    So a German XD?

Looks interesting regardless....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Second strike is a bullshit marketing gimmick. Aside from that it's just another Glock wannabe..

MM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll admit second strike is more hype than not, although if you train for it, its better than racking. Under stress, you can induce a jam. BUT, DA/SA with a smooth and fairly light (8LB) DA to start is not hype, and provides a different capability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I'll admit second strike is more hype than not, although if you train for it, its better than racking. Under stress, you can induce a jam. BUT, DA/SA with a smooth and fairly light (8LB) DA to start is not hype, and provides a different capability.
    Second strike has the potential to solve 1 of 4 possible problems. That problem is a hard primer which is not guaranteed to go off after a second strike or a third or a fourth. If you encounter a type one stoppage(click instead of bang) the most likely cause is an empty chamber caused by an unseated magazine. Pulling the trigger a second time will not solve the problem. If your slide is out of battery a second pull of the trigger will not solve the problem. If your pistol is broken(broke firing pin) a second pull of the trigger will not solve the problem. If your ammo is just plain shit(poor quality, missing a primer etc) a second pull of the trigger will not solve the problem. An immediate action drill (TAP RACK) will solve all the above with the exception of a broken firearm. In that case it will however give you more data in determining what/why your gun is not working. Any instructor, school, Academy, etc worth their salt does not teach the stupidity that is "second strike capability".

Stress can induce a million things. Stress can cause you to attempt to pull the trigger endlessly, if you don't train around it. Stop worrying about the "what ifs" and train more and practice more.

As for the "advantage" of the DA/SA trigger, there isn't any. A single consistent trigger pull coupled with sound gun handling skills is all that is needed. The heavy DA trigger (liability trigger) is great for LE departments that want to shave their training budgets and employ people across a broader spectrum of intelligence. When you need to shoot to defend life you need to shoot now, and having a consistent trigger from shot to shot makes training easier and performance more consistent.

MM
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 08-18-16 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    As for the "advantage" of the DA/SA trigger, there isn't any.
    I hate to be "that guy", but when I first read this, I distinctly remembered an SME on this site in a previous thread discussing the usefulness of a second strike capability. So, I went back, and I found what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Not trying to be a smartass, but is that really something y'all practice? I hear it all the time when folks try to justify a hammer fired pistol, but all my training has been to tap/rack when the gun doesn't go bang. I've trained with Defoor twice and he didn't mention the second strike option. Seems like a waste of valuable time.
    That is a legit question.

It isn't something that necessarily needs to be "practiced" as it is simply a mechanical "back up" option to the Hammer DA guns.

Why have it?

Having both hands available isn't a guarantee.

Example- if an operator is on a caving ladder as the lead climber and he needs at least one hand on that ladder to clear his dead space in a VBSS/Maritime Scenerio, or he looses the ability to use his support hand from injury.

RE: Doing a "tap rack bang" drill while escalating a 50' caving ladder, at night, while underway on a moving vessel isn't going to happen without the operator ending up in "the drink." That scenario is unlikely to most people outside military or special operations; so I can see how a different mindset may develope in regards to those who don't live, train, and operate outside of the box.
    I'm nowhere near close to being an expert on using pistols, but I think what Rana says above makes sense, at least to me personally. On the other hand, it's also worth noting that Rana also stated a lot of the situations that he feels second strike is useful are unlikely to occur for your average Joe. All that said, I'm not looking to turn this thread into a debate on the merits of DA/SA triggers vs. other options, I just wanted to provide a contrasting opinion from a high quality source, as per the spirit of this site. Gotta have those multiple viewpoints, if you want objective discussions, you know?

-------------------------------------------------

Back on topic...

If I'm understanding this correctly, one of the main selling points of this the trigger mechanism, which is a relatively light DA system with a short reset to make follow up shots easier, right? If so, would it be wrong to say that Schmeisser's trigger is similar in concept to the H&K LEM triggers? As I mentioned above, I'm not a pistol expert by any means, so I'd be interested to here what those better versed in handguns then me have to say. I do know there are a lot of guys (and gals) out there who really like the LEM system for a defensive carry gun, so I could potentially see the Schmeisser, it the trigger setup is indeed similar, finding favor with them, assuming of course the lack of a physical hammer isn't a deal breaker for them. (Which, from what I understand, it might very well be.)
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast