Thread: Venezuela Societal Collapse Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Venezuela Societal Collapse Thread

***Update 08/10/2017: I renamed the thread title to one more befitting since this has turned into a collection of information from Venezuela***

Insightful short read, a peek into the day to day life of a middle-class mother in a country with a collapsed economy.

My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-Day Hunt for Food in a Starving Land
    http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-venezuela-diary/

I particularly found this entry of note, I like how they have a network of neighbors sharing crime info/alerts with one another.

July 1 It’s 7 p.m. I need to load my kids in the car and swing by the local bakery. I’m dreading it, to be honest. These streets are especially dangerous after dark, something I was acutely reminded of the day before when a woman was kidnapped just a few feet from the bakery. Police officers happened to be nearby and a shootout immediately erupted. A neighbor of mine, Franco, found himself trapped in the bakery with his 13-year-old son. They had to crawl through the kitchen to safety as the bullets flew. When it was over, the victim was free, one of the kidnappers was dead and three others were on the lam. I heard all about it that night on my Whatsapp neighborhood crime chat. (My friends and I are Whatsapp addicts; most importantly, it’s our main forum for sharing real-time tips on where hard-to-find items are available across the city.)
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-10-17 at 04:48.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18