Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR bolt guns?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

.22LR bolt guns?

Are there any decent .22LR bolt guns? Preferably something that fits in a Rem700 or Ruger 10/22 stock/chassis, but if those don't exist then I'm open for anything really.

I won't be using .22LR match ammo (I can't find any). Just looking for a training gun at 50-100 yds that's cheaper to shoot than center fire bolt guns.

Edit: I found the Remington 40x in .22lr. Apparently the CMP had them for a while but they're long long gone. New production ones are extremely expensive.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 08-17-16 at 19:21.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Have you considered the Ruger 77-22? I had a friend who had on e that shot under 2 MOA with decent ammo (CCI Mini Mags I think). May shoot better. Biggest thing that I remember shooting it many years ago was that it felt much like a standard size bolt action rifle, at least much more so than my Marlin 22...

http://www.ruger.com/products/77Series7722/models.html

As a bonus, it uses 10-22 mags.

This one is interesting...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/91084

Here is some discussion on the rifles accuracy:

http://cheapermalice.com/2011/08/rug...y-improvement/

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92598

Seems like the biggest issue to accuracy is the barrel fit into the receiver. Again, it was several years ago since I last shot one, and now that I really don't hunt, I'm more interested in the 10-22 breakdown...

But after this research, I'll probably pick one up if I come across a decent used one.
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 08-17-16 at 19:29. Reason: more info

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For myself I think I've settled on the CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool. I was considering the Savage FV-SR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Popular choices in current production 22 bolt guns that are affordable ($400 +/-100): ruger american, savage, browning t-bolt, and my choice the CZ455.

Moving up the $$$ tree ($1000-1800) gets you into sako, suhl, maybe a remington 40x and anschutz.

Wanna spend big $ ($2000-4000) gets you into the 2500x actions, gorham customs, stiller, turbo, and other benchrest customs that will damn near punch a single hole at 50yds all day long.

Going back to the affordables, the savage has a pretty good trigger but suffers from well known extractor problems and shitty stamped mags that the lips eventually open and dump ammo all over the place. Ruger 77-22's I've seen at the matches just cant seem to be accurate, when they show they always place at the bottom of the score list. Have no experience with the t-bolt, never seen one at a match. CZ's are pretty popular, mags that work and pretty reliable and accurate. They have an occasional failure that the bolt pulls out on the extraction stroke if trigger is set to light or improperly.

There are a lot of used bolt guns out of production that are very nice, even if parts support is an issue. Kimber (yea, kimber) made a very good bolt gun for the military as a trainer model82G and they were an absolute steal of a deal when the CMP had them for around $200 and H&R made a beauty as well. Unfortunately both are usually selling for $600+ now used when you can find them.

Rimfire central has the skinny on all the 22 stuff

My current setup for 22 steel matches: CZ455 tacticool, upgrades include threaded bolt knob, cheek rest, pillared and partially bedded, factory trigger adjusted to 2.1lbs

Last edited by tigershilone; 08-17-16 at 23:28. Reason: add pic

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    For myself I think I've settled on the CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool. I was considering the Savage FV-SR.
    That CZ is very nice and accurate as the rifles that cost double or triple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I will also second the CZ 455 Tacticool. Tigershilone made me a sweet custom bolt knob for it, too. It definitely improved how well I can run the bolt at speed.

Feedback Score
    My cz455 is a blast to shoot, very accurate. Can aquire 25 round magazines for it too.
    Last edited by abso; 08-18-16 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How about a Win mod52 in sporter stock for $500?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    PWS T3 summit rifle. Tons of 10/22 parts and silly accurate.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Does anyone have experience with the new Ruger American rimfire? I like that it takes 10/22 mags and they offer a threaded barrel option from the factory.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast