Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR bolt guns?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Are there any decent .22LR bolt guns?
    Just go straight to Rimfire Central and look around...

I won't be using .22LR match ammo (I can't find any).
    Look harder. It's out there, but you'll need to order it via the errornet, and it'll cost you a bit...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So a while back I was researching this and ended up with the Tacticool as probably what I wanted but then I started to read about the custom work people get done and I honestly don;t even know what it means.

Like these terms...
    upgrades include threaded bolt knob, cheek rest, pillared and partially bedded, factory trigger adjusted to 2.1lbs
    So if I wanted to order a Tacticool and have some basic refinements done for a 'get it right from the start' rifle. What would be good to get done? How much does it cost? and who would you get to do it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Look harder. It's out there, but you'll need to order it via the errornet, and it'll cost you a bit...
    It seems like match grade .22LR is around the same price as I pay to load my own match grade .223?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    So if I wanted to order a Tacticool and have some basic refinements done for a 'get it right from the start' rifle. What would be good to get done? How much does it cost? and who would you get to do it?
    That's like asking how you should remodel your new house...

If you don't like the bolt knob, then you'll want to have it cut off, have the stub threaded so that you can change it.

If your face doesn't fit the stock, then you'll want a cheek rest.

If the accuracy isn't good enough, then you'll want to bed it.

In short, buy it and shoot it first, and then make changes as needed/desired.

It seems like match grade .22LR is around the same price as I pay to load my own match grade .223?
    If you mean 15-20¢/round, then yes.

That said, my .22 bolt gun shoots CCI Subsonics (≈11¢/round) as well as anything. I took two gophers with it yesterday!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm happy with a CMP Rem 40x and a Lupy LR 6.5 - 20 updated by the factory with a fine tapered reticle and T1 turrets. I added an aluminum accesory channel to the forestock and reshaped/stipled (more verticle) the wrist. The trigger is accptable as is but the single feed is abit slow. Looked at at opening up the bottom of the receiver and fitting savage magwell parts for a detachable mag but the thought of fubaring it has kept it as is. The rifle consistantly shoots under .4 @ 50 and consistantly .85 - 1.25 at 100 depending on fodder.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    So a while back I was researching this and ended up with the Tacticool as probably what I wanted but then I started to read about the custom work people get done and I honestly don;t even know what it means.
    Pillaring is putting in metal sleeves into the wood stock to keep the action screws from crushing the wood and thus torquing the action causing inconsistency and making the rifle holding technique sensitive

Bedding is using epoxy to form a tolerance fit of the action (sometimes action and barrel) to the wood stock inletting, again at an attempt to prevent action torque and aid consistency.

This thread at the hide gives pretty good picture descriptions especially posts 10 and 21 http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=188123

Rimfire central has several posts on bedding, member djdilliodon does this frequently for under $100 http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=724881

Bolt threading usually costs between $65-$85 for a 5/16-24 threaded stub (pretty much the industry standard for all bolt guns regardless of caliber)

(mods if other board references not allowed pls delete)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    PWS T3 summit rifle. Tons of 10/22 parts and silly accurate.

I would love to try out one of these, however PWS only makes them in limited quantities of 100 and often pre-sells them all. I only want the action, not a complete rifle and I cant find one.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Pillaring is putting in metal sleeves into the wood stock to keep the action screws from crushing the wood and thus torquing the action causing inconsistency and making the rifle holding technique sensitive

Bedding is using epoxy to form a tolerance fit of the action (sometimes action and barrel) to the wood stock inletting, again at an attempt to prevent action torque and aid consistency.

This thread at the hide gives pretty good picture descriptions especially posts 10 and 21 http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=188123

Rimfire central has several posts on bedding, member djdilliodon does this frequently for under $100 http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=724881

Bolt threading usually costs between $65-$85 for a 5/16-24 threaded stub (pretty much the industry standard for all bolt guns regardless of caliber)

(mods if other board references not allowed pls delete)
    Yer fine.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Rimefire Central as well. I am probably going to get mine pillar bedded this winter, after the fall shooting season is over.

Feedback Score
    If we're recommending specific guns, then look at a Ruger American Rimfire (RAR).

They're great starter guns, and maybe they're everything you'll ever want...

Full disclosure: My .22 is an old Marlin (modified), and I just bought a new RAR "Predator" in .17HMR.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought the Savage that comes with
    A5 ish stock which is awesome
    Tactical bolt Knob
    Threaded barrel for your can ( think positive )
    Fluted barrel for cool effect ( how hot can it get )
    Their acu trigger which is pretty nice for a .22
    And I think it came with a base for the scope.

Crazy cheap , like $259. I was stunned at what this rifle came with for the dollar.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast