Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR bolt guns?

Feedback Score
    Lots of ways to go, but for my son I went with a CZ455 VPT, Harris bi-pod, SS 10X scope, rear bag and a 'Yo Dave' trigger. The stock trigger isn't bad, but the Yo Dave transforms the rifle I think. Nice, clean break at an OK weight.

He really enjoys it and it shoots Wolf ME pretty well. With that Manners stock, the ability to add a Lilja barrel later and lots of parts available, I think it is the way to go.

For daddy, I went with a 40X converted to a repeater. Just had it out for real the first time yesterday.

Likes Lapua.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My FV-SR is fun, but I don't find it any more accurate than my 10/22. I got my Savage for $215, and the trigger alone in my 10/22 cost more than that, so I guess its not an apples to apples comparison.

What I like about the bolt gun is I take my time, the 10/22 I just waste ammo.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    I like Savage — I have a 10FCP-SR — but their .22 magazines and stocks are famously crappy...

I'll show mine, too:

Attachment 41132\

An old Marlin 25, bought from a cousin for $50, then barrel free-floated, trigger lightened, decent scope mounted. It easily shoots dime-size groups at 25yds, and quarter-sized groups at 50.

Attachment 41131

New Ruger RAR "Predator, .17HMR.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go buy another Ruger.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I won't by another Savage. I read about the ejector problems but didn't believe them. First precision class I took gun won't eject. This happened within the first 200 rounds. I also had an upgraded ejector kit installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I won't buy another Savage. I read about the ejector problems but didn't believe them....
    That's just centerfire guns, right?

I don't want to run too far off the tracks here, but I immediately bought spare bolt parts for my 10FCP-SR, anticipating breakage down the road.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    That's just centerfire guns, right?

I don't want to run too far off the tracks here, but I immediately bought spare bolt parts for my 10FCP-SR, anticipating breakage down the road.
    I have no idea if it's just center fire or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So why is the bolt knob so important. Honestly that's the last thing I would think anyone would care about but it seems like everyone wants an upgraded knob.

What I like about the bolt gun is I take my time, the 10/22 I just waste ammo.
    That was the other issue I ran into between the 10/22 and CZ455 decision i had reached. I'm not one simply sling lead just for the heck of it but it seemed like the 10/22 was really customization. I think I 'm kinda leaning back to that Tacticool CZ now. To bad you can't get the CZ455 threaded and a Magpul x22 stock.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Lots of ways to go, but for my son I went with a CZ455 VPT, Harris bi-pod, SS 10X scope, rear bag and a 'Yo Dave' trigger. The stock trigger isn't bad, but the Yo Dave transforms the rifle I think. Nice, clean break at an OK weight.

He really enjoys it and it shoots Wolf ME pretty well. With that Manners stock, the ability to add a Lilja barrel later and lots of parts available, I think it is the way to go.

For daddy, I went with a 40X converted to a repeater. Just had it out for real the first time yesterday.

Likes Lapua.

So what does that stock cost? I can't seem to find it on their web site. That rifle must be up in the $2K range isn't it?

Feedback Score
    Which rifle? The CZ Varmint Precision Trainer(VPT) is in a Manners T4(IIRC) stock and the rifle is at Buds for $850.

The rifle pictured is my Remington 40X in a standard AICS stock, non foldable version. I redid the whole rifle. New Benchmark barrel, new PTG bolt and a conversion to repeater. $2k would be about right for a stock 40X converted to a repeater. I've had my 40X for 5+ years, but I think OK examples are about $1200(?) and the conversion is $500-600. Add in some shipping. AICS stocks are coming down in price maybe pick one up for $800. Mine has been spread out over five years, so the hurt wasn't as sharp.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Which rifle? The CZ Varmint Precision Trainer(VPT) is in a Manners T4(IIRC) stock and the rifle is at Buds for $850.

The rifle pictured is my Remington 40X in a standard AICS stock, non foldable version. I redid the whole rifle. New Benchmark barrel, new PTG bolt and a conversion to repeater. $2k would be about right for a stock 40X converted to a repeater. I've had my 40X for 5+ years, but I think OK examples are about $1200(?) and the conversion is $500-600. Add in some shipping. AICS stocks are coming down in price maybe pick one up for $800. Mine has been spread out over five years, so the hurt wasn't as sharp.
    Oh, ok, I got mixed up. I thought you meant that tan rifle was a CZ.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast