Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: .22LR bolt guns?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FWIW, I shoot my 28" CZ 452 Ultra Lux out to 200 yards fairly frequently. It does quite well at cans and small swingers out that far, but I don't think I've ever gotten inside a 3 inch group at 200. It still has the stock sights, though. If you like the CZ irons look at the JP peep blade inserts for the rear. You can also buy very nice competition sights for them.

I found it very lightly used for $300, and it's wonderful.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just found this vid.... man, I like that setup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeoVHTWZwQ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I did think about the CZ mention earlier here, but I'm wondering if after all the upgrades people are mentioning the guns just won't come out to the same price?
    To me, the CZ has to have a new trigger. Beyond that if it is in a free floated stock, it is most of the way there. Bedding the action and a Lilja barrel are the next big steps, but they are getting into the area of diminishing, though real, returns.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Speaking of options, what is that muzzle device I see on most all the >2K$ rifles. It looks like it has calibrations on it.
    I think you are referring to the barrel tuners. I haven't played with one, and I seem to only see them on benchrest style rifles. Affects the harmonics of the barrel to tune it for the best groups.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    When you speak about the speed of ammo. I basically see three types.

Fast - meaning you know it will go supersonic and then transonic over a long distance. Some was up over 1400 fps.
    Slow - all that named Sub-sonic, very low fps.

Med or Match. .. All the "Match" stuff seems to be around 1050 fps. I don't know if that could go through the sonic barrier or not. Probably not where I live. So if I want to buy some variety of ammo, would you say all the 1050 and below stuff is safe. No way it could go supersonic? I just couldn't figure why the only labeled sub-sonic is very slow when it appears to me the Match stuff is also sub-sonic as well.
    Last edited by tb-av; 09-01-16 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    Not an expert, but what I have gleaned.

'Match' always means more expensive

Match rounds seem to be plain lead with a wax coating. I don't know if the standard subsonics are copper washed like the standard and high velocity stuff- at least the stuff my plinking 22s like.

The match rounds seem to go for $7/50 all the way up to $20/50. It does seem like the price correlates pretty well with performance, but there seem to be ammo/rifle combinations that work better than others for a given price point. I agree that 1050ish seems standard with 1070 being the higher end for Lapua ammo.

Read up on the Eley ammo loading process. They are complete nuts. IIRC, Hundreds of variables they looked at and controlled for. They have four machines for their top of the line ammo, and then you can pick the lot you want- or go down to Killough Shooting sports and try lots out with your rifle to see what shoots best.

I've got the disease, but I don't have the sickness to that level.

Thought this was interesting, plus it has pictures!

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Took forever to find this again, very very informative site on shooting 22lr http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.co...ifle-wind.html

completely copied from that website, no work is mine. It is one of the better theories I've found for why subsonic is more accurate than High velocity other than the transonic turbulence explanation.

The following article is from “The Quest for Rimfire Accuracy”

Those unfamiliar with smallbore rifle competition are often surprised to learn that target shooters almost universally use standard velocity ammunition in preference to the many varieties of high and hyper-velocity rounds available. The reason given is the low-velocity ammunitions resistance to wind deflection.
    Despite what might seem at first to be the case, wind deflection is not proportional to the time of flight. Instead, it is proportional to the amount of delay in the flight caused by air resistance. The 1145 f.p.s. standard velocity .22 long rifle round takes .287 seconds to go 100 yds., but would take only .262 seconds to cover the same distance in a vacuum. The latter figure is easily found by dividing 300 ft. by the speed of the bullet (1145 f.p.s.), which would remain the same throughout its flight if it were in a vacuum. Thus the delay caused by air resistance is .025 second with the standard velocity ammunition.
    The 1335 f.p.s. high velocity ammunition, which will take .259 second to cover 100 yds., would take only .225 second in a vacuum. Thus, the delay for this bullet is .035 second or 37% greater than that of the standard velocity round .22. The high speed round, then, suffers about 37% more wind deflection than the standard velocity.
    This remarkable result is due to the very rapid rate at which air resistance increases with increase in bullet speed in the region near the speed of sound. The .22 rimfires are the only important rifle cartridges that occupy this speed range, and they are the only ones that show more wind deflection as velocity is increased.

While air resistance always increases when the bullet is shot faster, the rate of this increase is less steep at supersonic velocities. Rifle bullets in general, contrary to the case of rimfires, are made less sensitive to the wind by raising their velocities. NRA Firearms Fact Book

I copied this article a while back and if anyone knows who the Author is please contact me so I can give credit. Thanks,

Feedback Score
    Fascinating!

I wonder how this works out for the guys shooting .300Blackout subsonic/transsonic...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ended up with this:

I got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWMSG..._pmo5xbEB73XW8
    Cut one and stuck it on the end of my bolt. I can dry fire without any problems now.

Now I have 99 extra o-rings. If anyone needs one, I'll mail one for $1 (cost of a stamp, an envelope, and my time to go to the post office), additional o-rings for $0.10 each.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-23-16 at 03:12.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I did not know that. I thought .22lr was sort of a max out at 100Y deal.
    Negative. I shoot out to 235yds all the time. Shooting steel at that range is fun, and can be challenging if the wind picks up.

My cheap savage likes eley, wolf, and remington subs when I can find them.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Ended up with this:

I got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWMSG..._pmo5xbEB73XW8
    Cut one and stuck it on the end of my bolt. I can dry fire without any problems now.

Now I have 99 extra o-rings. If anyone needs one, I'll mail one for $1 (cost of a stamp, an envelope, and my time to go to the post office), additional o-rings for $0.10 each.
    Have you got around to shooting it yet?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast