Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Trust or not to Trust, that is the ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

To Trust or not to Trust, that is the ?

I've bought everything via my trust so far, but with all the changes, does it make sense to quit using Trust. Many of us used them to simply things.

What are you doing on your next 2 cans and next 5 SBR's?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ditto on this.

I'd like to know how it's going to go the next time.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went with a trust originally but going forward, I'll be giving the individual route a serious look. In my situation, it's probably a horse apiece. I don't borrow my stuff out so if it comes down to the ass ache of additional prints & photos for other RPs, I'll likely file individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I say trust. You can add a trustee at anytime, or remove a trustee at anytime (like buying time) and you don't have to tell the guvment. This is the real weakness of the new 41F rule in that trustees can change. Now, if I removed a trustee for a purchase I wouldn't add them back to the trust until after the NFA transfer is complete. If you already have a trust, continuing to use a trust prevents confusion over what is or isn't shareable by trustees.

Furthermore, adding a spouse, adult child, parent, etc allows others to enjoy your NFA items even though you may not loan these things out on a regular basis. This is the best way for us mere mortals to share NFA items and protect family members who may have access, either accidentally or on purpose, to the NFA stuff at the house.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Trust... way more flexible.

If you go individual that's all you get. If you go Trust you still get you the individual as a trustee AND the potential for change.

Why would you not take advantage of what you already paid for?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just put money down on a new suppressor through silencershop. They have an interesting process... it's transferring to my local dealer now, so I'll update when I figure out more.

It should work like this:
    Go to silencershop.com, find the suppressor you want, add it to your online cart.
    Also add a tax stamp ($205, the extra $5 is for processing things for you) through them.
    Select your nearest dealer with a silencershop SID (secure identity documentation) kiosk.
    Check out with your cart as normal.
    You'll get the serial# for the suppressor as soon as your order is processed, mine took less than a day. They'll contact you if they need further info.
    I am at this point.
    When your suppressor is transferred to your dealer, you go there, do your fingerprints and paperwork at the kiosk.
    Download the kiosk app or whatever it's called to take a picture of yourself for the documents.
    Hit send or whatever, silencershop compiles the paperwork and sends it to the ATF on your behalf. According to them, it should be 10-15 min from getting to the dealer to sending your paperwork.

Wait 12? months.

Go to the dealer and pick up the suppressor (and do the 4473).

What I like: Two total trips out of the house: go to the sid kiosk to do paperwork, and then later to pick it up. No going to the CLEO office, no going to Walgreens to get passport photos, no going to wherever to do fingerprints, no going to a lawyer to get a trust amended and notarized.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 08-18-16 at 18:25.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    All that will be exactly the same for a trust... except you add a pdf of the trust.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    All that will be exactly the same for a trust... except you add a pdf of the trust.
    Don't you also have to submit photos/fingerprints of every person on the trust?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

I've bought everything via my trust so far, but with all the changes, does it make sense to quit using Trust. Many of us used them to simply things.
    I make my NFA purchases via a trust for one reason, and it has nothing to do with ease or convenience.

Without a Trust (or Corporation) as owner, how can you lawfully leave a NFA firearm/item in a residence with any other adult - say, your spouse or adult child(ren) - when you aren't there?

Yeah, via an individual purchase you own it...but YOU own it. It isn't marital property and it certainly isn't owned by your child(ren). What is the legal argument that they can be in possession and/or control of it without you being present?

Ok, they are in the safe...but does your spouse and/or child(ren) know the combination and have access to them?

I know, I know...this is deep, dark 'black helicopter' conspiracy-theory...I get it...and no one has never, ever been known to be prosecuted for something so foolish.

Yet, without a Trust (or Corp) being the owner and all adult residents of the domicile being beneficiaries (or employees), sincerely - What is the legal basis for leaving a NFA firearm/item in the possession and/or control of any adult that is not the registered owner?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure the OP knows the trust vs individual pro & cons.

Many people went the trust route initially because it was easier, not necessarily because they needed it. I believe what PB is asking is, are those people going to stay with the trust going forward or switch to filing individually, because now the original advantages of the trust (with regards to being easier) are gone as is the CLEO sign off for those filing individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast