Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Frills quality 20" A2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

No Frills quality 20" A2

When I was a kid, pre AWB, my dad had a Colt Sporter (I think). I was a colt for sure, 20" with a fixed carry handle. To me, it was the Classic AR that reminded me of the M16's that I had seen in movies. I was a young kid. If you were going to source parts to build this rifle for a decent price, what would buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fn 20" barrel would be the biggie for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last year, I built an A2 using an A2 upper receiver that I got from a buddy of mine. It was free, so I could not complain. I bought a Windham Weaponry A2 Gov't. Profile 20" Barrel Sub-Assembly (http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shope...#axzz3TB9cn1sr), which by the way, is an excellent barrel. They also have a complete barrel kit (http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shope...#axzz3loGYSOfD). I bought one of the PSA Stealth lower receivers (one of the very last ones) with no PSA logo rollmark. I sourced an A2 buttstock assembly from White Oak Armament and I bought a PSA Premium BCG and CH. It is a great shooting rifle. There are a few companies (Del-Ton for one) that has A2 upper receivers. I would also recommend the McKay Enterprises A2 lower receiver as it does not have any logo rollmark on it either. Of course, to each his own.

URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/M16A2/007_zps5kbevrwa.jpg.html][/URL]

Del-Ton's complete A2 upper receiver is currently out of stock, but they do have a stripped A2 upper receiver in stock.
    http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Uppers_A2_s/90.htm

Fulton Armory has a stripped A2 upper receiver in stock.
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/upperreceivera2usgi.aspx

Rock River Arms has A2 upper receivers as well.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=279
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an old ArmaLite lower I was going to make into an A4, but there's just something honest about a good ol' A2.

Feedback Score
    I tried finding an A2 just like my old Bushmaster A2 HBAR over the past several months, but I finally gave up. Finding anything with a 20" barrel and A2 upper receiver w/fixed carry handle is quite a challenge these days. I understand the A3/A4 uppers are more practical, but some of us have enough tactical ARs as it is and want to take a trip down memory lane once in awhile.

Bushmaster, Del-Ton and Stag still show them on their websites I believe, but none are ever in stock anywhere I have looked. Except for maybe Bushmaster I believe they also have non-chromed lined barrels as well.
    Last edited by dsk; 08-18-16 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I tried finding an A2 just like my old Bushmaster A2 HBAR over the past several months, but I finally gave up. Finding anything with a 20" barrel and A2 upper receiver w/fixed carry handle is quite a challenge these days. I understand the A3/A4 uppers are more practical, but some of us have enough tactical ARs as it is and want to take a trip down memory lane once in awhile.

Bushmaster, Del-Ton and Stag still show them on their websites I believe, but none are ever in stock anywhere I have looked. Except for maybe Bushmaster I believe they also have non-chromed lined barrels as well.
    There appears, that over the past couple of years, more guys are getting back to basics with the AR platform. There is now more interest in the A1, C7, and A2 platforms. I see more and more guys building the older A2 ARs like the Model 727 carbine and the 20" A2 Government profile rifle. Still, the vast majority want a flat-top receiver. Some, like myself, are building ARs with flat-top receivers, but with detachable carrying handles and leaving them that way. The basic M4 and A4 are becoming very popular now. There are still A2 upper receivers available from Fulton Armory and Del-Ton. The ones most available are the stripped versions for around $99. I do not think that the market saw such a return interest in the A2 platform.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    There appears, that over the past couple of years, more guys are getting back to basics with the AR platform.
    Well, a couple weeks ago I fired a retro 20" A1 and my fully decked-out 6920 side by side, and honestly the old A1 was more fun to shoot. I see the benefits in optical sights, angled foregrips and the like but I didn't shoot any worse going old-school with triangular handguards and iron sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Well, a couple weeks ago I fired a retro 20" A1 and my fully decked-out 6920 side by side, and honestly the old A1 was more fun to shoot. I see the benefits in optical sights, angled foregrips and the like but I didn't shoot any worse going old-school with triangular handguards and iron sights.
    In basic form the weapon system is so lightweight and handy I always have to have at least 1 minimalist/KISS rifle on hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    There appears, that over the past couple of years, more guys are getting back to basics with the AR platform. There is now more interest in the A1, C7, and A2 platforms. I see more and more guys building the older A2 ARs like the Model 727 carbine and the 20" A2 Government profile rifle. Still, the vast majority want a flat-top receiver. Some, like myself, are building ARs with flat-top receivers, but with detachable carrying handles and leaving them that way. The basic M4 and A4 are becoming very popular now. There are still A2 upper receivers available from Fulton Armory and Del-Ton. The ones most available are the stripped versions for around $99. I do not think that the market saw such a return interest in the A2 platform.
    I've noticed the same trend towards longer rifles in basic configurations. Perhaps its a nostalgia thing, maybe folks are bored with collections of 16" and shorter, or maybe there is some actual needs assessment happening. Most folks aren't rolling in for direct action missions, and are realizing rifles and gear set up for such things aren't practical for their actual everyday uses.

In the spring last year, I put together an "A5" for use with iron sights. It quickly became my favorite rifle, even if slightly heavier than my others.

It has gained a free float rail and an optic since then, and it has become my "go to" for just about everything.

I liked the original configuration so much that I've been putting together a pure iron sight KISS rifle. I've been planning on a slick side flat top, but part of me is really tempted to go with a NoDak Spud slick side A1 upper. This is the Gunstruction mock up.

There really is something immensely satisfying about the longer ARs for me.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Well let's face it... 20" is the most reliable and durable configuration anyway, as there's less worry about being over/under gassed. A 16" carbine is great for home defense and CQB, but free of any constricting environments a 20" rifle has the advantage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast