Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Timer

Feedback Score

First Timer

Ok, so I am new to all of this, but here is what I want to do and how i was thinking of doing it.
    Ultimately I want to take my current 16inch 300blk and convert it to a 9inch SBR and add a suppressor. I dont necessarily need to do both together, not sure which is easier to do first but I was thinking the barrel?

Please let me know if this makes sense or if there are better ways.

-Use silencer shop to get an NFA Trust
    -Submit an eform 4
    -Get the barrel
    somepoint down the line do that again for the silencer. Could potentially use silencershop for the tax stamp related to the suppressor.

I also need to get the lower engraved, is that correct?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you have the funds I'd go ahead and do both at once that way your forms will be in the que.

Form 4 will be for your suppressor. Form 1 will be for the SBR config.

If you see the barrel you want, I'd also go ahead and order that as well. Stick it back until your stamp returns and assemble. Things have tendencies to go out of stock for a while.

Your lower will be engraved with your trust name as well as city, state.
    Last edited by Jliddle; 08-19-16 at 06:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Efile doesn't exist anymore. Just a heads up.

But for your SBR you actually file a form 1, then file a form 4 for a silencer. As a matter of logistics, I would buy the silencer at the same time as the trust, makes it just that much easier in my mind since you're using the same vendor for both. Then, do the SBR second because it requires less money and is more of a fringe benefit of NFA. whereas the silencer serves an actual purpose in saving your ears.

Yes, you need to get your lower engraved. Search the site, lots of threads about whose service to use.

Good luck, enjoy your first steps into the NFA game!

Feedback Score
    Setup a trust.
    Get passport photos (x2) and fingerprints on the correct forms (x2) for each responsible party on the trust.
    Fill out the form 1, fill out the responsible parties questionnaire.
    Send the appropriate copies to the local police chief or sheriff.
    Send the appropriate copies to the ATF, with a $200 check and copy of your trust.

Then wait, wait, wait, and wait. Once it comes back approved, you can put on the shorter barrel.

Somewhere along that path, you'll have to get the trust name, city, and state engraved on the receiver.

Feedback Score
    Thanks this is helpful.
    Looks like first thing is to setup the trust.
    After that I think a form 4 while purchasing a suppressor.

Is the engraving only for the SBR or for the suppressor too?

Are the photos/fingerprints part of the new revisions to the trust part of the law?

Feedback Score
    One other question. In terms of simplicity of getting the items, with the new regulations is it just as easy if not easier to file as an individual, not a trust (ignoring any other potential benefits a trust has)

Feedback Score
    You can engrave the barrel, frame or receiver. Most folks engrave the receiver.

Is your gas system pistol length? If not, you'll need a new barrel.

Feedback Score
    No it is a 16inch carbine length gas system. Seems like I should be doing a Form 1 for the SBR and Form 4 for the Suppressor at the same time then?
    Edit: Actually I might just fill out a Form 1 and get a 9inch barrel and then save up for the suppressor down the line. With the removal of the CLEO signing, I dont see a reason not to just file as an individual. I just need the photos and fingerprints then.

If filing as an individual, is the lower engraved with my name instead of trust name?
    Last edited by Curh; 08-19-16 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Curh View Post
    If filing as an individual, is the lower engraved with my name instead of trust name?
    Regardless of trust, corp, individual, etc (anybody other than a manufacturer)...

You engrave the applicants name, as it appears in box 3b.
    You also engrave the city and state where the firearm is actually made (which doesn't have to match your F1, DL, etc).
    You may also have to engrave caliber if the barrel isn't marked conspicuously (assuming your lower doesn't have the caliber already).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    You can engrave the barrel, frame or receiver. Most folks engrave the receiver.

Is your gas system pistol length? If not, you'll need a new barrel.
    Is it not possible to run a supressor on a 16inch carbine? I thought with the right buffer it would work, if not so be it, I still might do just the barrel first anyway, as that seems more involved needing the engraving etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast