Thread: Question about "Minimum Barrel Length Supported"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question about "Minimum Barrel Length Supported"

I'm new to Suppressors. Can you help me better understand the phrase "Minimum Barrel Length Supported".

Hypothetically, what is affected if you use a barrel shorter than what is supported? More noise? Dirtier? The can will explode?

I'm interested in a Silencerco Omega and I'd like to use it on a (primarily) 9" 300 Blackout barrel ,and a 16" .308 barrel... both of those are supported, but are listed as the "minimum". Will doing so lessen the life of the Omega or degrade it? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Typically, the minimum barrel length is so that the bullet can become stable before leaving the barrel. Twist rate and weight of your projectile also have say in this. So if you shoot a 77gr mk262 out of a 7.5 inch barrel with a 1/9 twist rate, say goodbye to your end cap. It also has to do with the material it's constructed out of. Certain metals can withstand the abuse of full auto fire. Some can not. Manufactures put a lot of testing into these numbers and minimums. While I'm sure there is a little leeway, stick to the minimum and greater, and you will never have an issue.

With magnums, it also has to do with pressures and the amount of powder in your hand loads. Thunderbeast has some good numbers for the Max gr of powder you should use with their new Ultra cans for magnum calibers.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-16-16 at 14:46.