Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope recommendations

Feedback Score

Scope recommendations

I am in the market for a couple of decent rifle scopes.

The first is gonna be for M4 people, I need something for my 16" Recce. I want something in the mid range of power and only have a mid range budget <$800. I'd like variable power with at least a 9 or 10 power top end. My eyes are getting old and tired. I want as clear of glass and as much magnification as I can get without being bulky or expensive. Lighted would be cool, and no huge turrets, though small ones ok.

Next up is a .308 Savage Axis my wife gave me when I turned 50. I know it's a cheap rifle considered by many to be an entry level gun, but it's the only time in over 20 years she ever bought me a gun. I'm obligated to keep it, but I want to build it up. Damn thing shoots very well. Better than I expected.

I have replaced the crappy Axis stock with a Boyd's laminate one. (much nicer)
    I have done the cut coil trigger job. (big improvement)
    I have had a bolt handle made for me by a guy on savageshooters.com (bigger than stock, but not overly so, much easier to operate)

I am now looking to upgrade the cheap Tasco 3x9 that came on my .308 Axis.

Recommendations?

I'm wanting a variable power scope, again with at least a 9 or 10 power top end. I'll never shoot 1,000 yards with it, but I like more magnification. (again with the old eyes) I would love a 16 power top end, but I don't want one so big it makes the rifle look too "tacticool". I am wanting to keep the somewhat traditional look for the most part, but with better optics so I can see the target better. I'll be deviating from the traditional hunting rifle look a bit, but not too much. Think "old retired guy's hunting rifle" with a slight tactical twist. I'll be shortening the barrel and adding a brake, (possible future suppressor) and I'll be adding the CDI Precision bottom metal for the 5 and 10 round AI mags, so it will loose a bit of the traditional look, but I don't want a huge bulky full on sniper scope on it. I don't mind turrets as long as they are not too big. A lighted scope would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Not looking to spend over $500 or $600 on this one unless I fall in love with something.

How she sits now.

OK people what ideas do you have?
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    For the bolt gun, I used to run a Nikon Monarch which was in the $5-600 range. Decent glass, came with 3 sets of interchangeable turrets...depending on how you wanted to use the gun. Was sorta big tho. They make them in multiple configs also. Something to look at, since you've scaled the budget back on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Leupold VX-R Patrol Firedot 3-9x40 30mm tube, very nice glass, illuminated or not MOA with turrets! Nice scope, have one one a DD m4v7 6.8SPCII $579 if you look around. It does box the compass and has a no fault lifetime warranty, had to beat for the price. NOTE: only issue I had, it sat above the barrel 3.5", I was running out of elevation, spoke with DD and Leupold - went with a Bobro (or similar) 20MOA mount - GTG.

Best scope I own, hands down - Swarovski PH 2.5-10x50 non-illuminated, the glass is phenomenal but even when I purchased this in 2000 it was big $$$$.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The Vortex PST line is right in line with your needs and price range. I ran one on my 308 LMT for a while and it served me well, then onto my Colt / Noveske REECE and served me well.

If you don't want turrets, I have a 2.5-16 Bushnell bullet drop reticle scope. DOA 600 they call them. Very nice glass and simple reticle out to 600.

There are so many good options these days , it's hard to decide but it's a good problem we have.

That rifle looks great as it sits. I might consider keeping that as a hunter, but it's your toy. It looks to have a hunting style barrel so be careful, you will wind up owning only the receiver of the gun your wife bought you if your like me. Nothing says you can't shoot the piss out of a hunting gun. Enjoy.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-21-16 at 06:37.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I would look at the trijicon accupower line. Super clear glass and awesome light gathering for hunting around dawn and dusk. the Accupoint line is my preferred scope but the accupower is a little bit cheaper. These scopes are also super durable.

Feedback Score
    Haven't got a scope for the AR yet, still running the Comp M4.

I picked up a Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm w/ BDC 800 for the .308 Savage Axis. Turrets are kinda fat, but they work well, and the image is very clear for the price. The mag ring is a bit stiff, but not so much as to make me pass up what I felt was a fair deal. I like the 16x top end too. I was concerned the ocular piece would not clear the bolt, but it fits perfect with the rings that came on the gun. (El-cheapo 3x9 going on my daughter's 10/22.) I mounted it as far back as I could due to the long action, (haven't got a one piece rail yet) and the eye relief was "spot on". Didn't expect that, but very happy. I got it used, (the guy said very little) but in absolutely perfect shape, with the box, all the factory papers, scope caps (the rear cover is thick, and touches the bolt, but does not keep it from operating) and ARD for $325.

It will be interesting to see how it shoots with the "spot on" software Nikon has for your smart phone.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The Vortex PST line is right in line with your needs and price range. I ran one on my 308 LMT for a while and it served me well, then onto my Colt / Noveske REECE and served me well.

If you don't want turrets, I have a 2.5-16 Bushnell bullet drop reticle scope. DOA 600 they call them. Very nice glass and simple reticle out to 600.

There are so many good options these days , it's hard to decide but it's a good problem we have.

That rifle looks great as it sits. I might consider keeping that as a hunter, but it's your toy. It looks to have a hunting style barrel so be careful, you will wind up owning only the receiver of the gun your wife bought you if your like me. Nothing says you can't shoot the piss out of a hunting gun. Enjoy.

PB
    I also have bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 but in mil-dot. It is a very nice hunting scope on one of my 300WM's. Especially for the money, this is on the top of my list.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm going to put a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x on the Recce style 6.5 Grendel I'm currently building. It's a 32mm objective scope that's relatively lightweight while being trim and easy to mount on an AR. It's toward the upper end of your range for the Recce at ~$750 but has great glass that makes for a really nice scope with an awesome warranty.

As to the hunting rifle, the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 scope is very nice and prices are around $435 or less. As others have said, there are several nice options available in your price range that would serve you well. Best option is probably to fully flesh out your require the for it and then start comparing scopes. That's how I settled on the Vortex for my Recce.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 09-28-16 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    The new Nikon. As you can see, the stupid thing is built on a long action, and I have the scope as far to the rear as I can get it. Very close, but I still have to turkey neck it a bit, so I have a one piece base coming in. I'll need to move it back a tad. The height is perfect.

Very pleased with the quality of the image. I spent some time tracking squirrels through it from the deck yesterday.

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 09-29-16 at 08:52.

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast