Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faxon or Green Mountain barrel for an 18in precision/3gun build

Feedback Score

Faxon or Green Mountain barrel for an 18in precision/3gun build

I am working on a build, and have no experience with either company. I will use the gun as a precision rifle out to, and sometimes beyond 800yds. Yet at the same time I am also looking into 3gun. I am envisioning a handy rifle that holds a convincing sub Moa. My only other experience with an 18in barrel is an spr profile that felt like a brick was on the end of the rifle relatively speaking.

I have narrowed it down to two barrels, a GM 18in fluted .223 wylde, and a Faxon 18in GUNNER 5.56 . These barrels are both in my price range as they are sub $200. I like the GM due to its chambering in .223 wylde, and it's rumors of awesome accuracy. And I like the Faxon for its profile, bolt matching, and solid reputation. The weights are 2.1lbs for the GM with a pushed out center of gravity, and the Faxon at 1.44lbs with a closer center of gravity.

So what should I do? What should the disparity of accuracy be between the two barrels? What should I expect the difference in feel of the barrels to be? How much would a matched bolt help me? Should I be looking at a different barrel? Is this idea reasonable?

Thanks in advance guys!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Way too many questions that while related, stem from a lack of direction in rifle purpose.

Plan to ruck the rifle all day? Get a thinner profile/lighter weight barrel.
    Plan to go from the safe to the car to the range and back? Get whatever profile/weight you want.
    Plan to mag dump or chase extreme accuracy and precision? Get a thicker profile/heavier weight barrel.
    Generally speaking.

Flip a coin? Every barrel is unique, the difference in weight and weight distribution will depend on what parts you use for the rest of the rifle, no idea on matched bolts in ARs making a significant enough difference for most to notice, I feel if I suggested another barrel you would short circuit and of course.

Feedback Score
    It's a bit of a hike to were I shoot, and I have a low round count. I prefer lighter rifles, but am happy to carry a little extra weight if I can pull in my groups a 1/3moa. The barrel is the last part I am getting for the rifle. With the other main components being a ace rifle length skeleton stock, alg v1 15in rail, and vortex 3-9x40, and geisle ssa, the rest is pretty normal. The question should be what is the performance difference between the barrels?
    Last edited by RandomGunNut; 07-31-16 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGunNut View Post
    It's a bit of a hike to were I shoot, and I have a low round count. I prefer lighter rifles, but am happy to carry a little extra weight if I can pull in my groups a 1/3moa. The barrel is the last part I am getting for the rifle. With the other main components being a ace rifle length skeleton stock, alg v1 15in rail, and vortex 3-9x40, and geisle ssa, the rest is pretty normal. The question should be what is the performance difference between the barrels?
    I reverse bolded bit order:
    Theoretical differences that will be argued incessantly and I think you've found your answer.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have an 18" gunner, first run, from Faxon. It's actually my patrol upper and i love it.

On demand hits on Larue half size silhouettes out to 300 yards with my aimpoint T1 4 MOA. The balance is nearly like a 16" government middy.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    1/3 MOA Good luck

FaxonNathan Guest

So what should I do? What should the disparity of accuracy be between the two barrels? What should I expect the difference in feel of the barrels to be? How much would a matched bolt help me? Should I be looking at a different barrel? Is this idea reasonable?

Thanks in advance guys!
    -Well, we are a little biased on the first question.
    -In terms of accuracy differences, I would not expect much, if any cold-bore.
    -The GUNNER barrel will feel much easier to "swing". If the goal is 3-gun, weapon maneuverability is critical, hence why we designed the GUNNER profile--it was because I am a 3-gun shooter.
    -The matched bolt will guarantee headspacing. We take the time to match them to one another using a match set of gauges to be as close to SAAMI minimum with safety factor. This ensures the headspacing lasts as long as the barrel.
    -See first question. Nope!
    -Yes.

-Nathan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am working on a build, and have no experience with either company. I will use the gun as a precision rifle out to, and sometimes beyond 800yds. Yet at the same time I am also looking into 3gun. I am envisioning a handy rifle that holds a convincing sub Moa. My only other experience with an 18in barrel is an spr profile that felt like a brick was on the end of the rifle relatively speaking.

I have narrowed it down to two barrels, a GM 18in fluted .223 wylde, and a Faxon 18in GUNNER 5.56 . These barrels are both in my price range as they are sub $200. I like the GM due to its chambering in .223 wylde, and it's rumors of awesome accuracy. And I like the Faxon for its profile, bolt matching, and solid reputation. The weights are 2.1lbs for the GM with a pushed out center of gravity, and the Faxon at 1.44lbs with a closer center of gravity.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Profiles like the Gunner, ELW from BCM, and Hanson from BA all make a lot of sense for what you're looking to do. Increased rigidity where it'll matter least in terms of feel/balance and lighter where it'll matter most. Of the two you're looking at---Gunner would be my recommendation for what you're trying to do.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Faxon has really upped their game lately, and are cranking out tons of good stuff, plus they're Buckeye State boys. Can't beat good and homegrown.

Feedback Score
    I have the exact Green Mountain barrel you are referring to. I couldn't be happier. I kind of took a chance on it at $188 for a stainless, fluted barrel, but it has been awesome. It is actually (or was) #23 in the MOA All-day Challenge on TOS. It just plain shoots. I shoot all kinds of stuff out of it, 52 gr, 55 gr, 69 gr, and 77 gr. I would buy again in a heartbeat. I have barrels that cost twice as much and don't shoot any better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast