Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is the .40 S&W dead ?

Feedback Score
    i'd say no.... i think it's all relevant to what your use to shooting and what you like... while i am more of a 9mm guy.... my dad loves the .40 , he has several handguns in the .40, and just a couple days ago sold several handguns and revolver's he hasn't used in forever.. and at the LGS, i spotted a brand new HK P30 in 40 cal for 600$, and showed it to my dad and he bought it on the spot... he even asked the owner of the LGS why it was on sale ( reg price was 1k ) and he said it's cuz a lot of people are not into the 40 cal anymore... but oh well, my dad took it home, shot it for a bit and loves it...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For every advancement in 9mm bullet construction, there's the same for the 40. Maybe a little closer together, but with everything else equal the 40 is the performer of the two by a touch.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    For every advancement in 9mm bullet construction, there's the same for the 40. Maybe a little closer together, but with everything else equal the 40 is the performer of the two by a touch.
    Correct...the ‘new’ opinion isn’t that the 9mm is better than the .40, it’s that the 9mm has come to a point in bullet technology where it’s lethality (for a handgun round) is good enough that it’s benefits in capacity and low recoil offset the slight performance improvement by the .40, et al.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    .40 isnt the round du jour but it isnt dead.

I keep one .40 just in case 9mm dries up again.

.40 isn't a 'bad' round, it simply isn't as relevant as it was. Its era was the 90s.

When it was,new it had a niche but 9mm tech has advanced. It still makes for a good semi wadcutter and is always going to live in IPSC.

.38 Super is still around (A far more interesting round imo).

Plus a lot of the average joes buy up all the cheap resale .40 trade ins and dont obsess over caliber and can go to wal mart and buy a box.

There are a lot more people in this world happy with one pistol and a couple of mags than the guys who get super analytical about handguns and hoard 300 glock mags
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are a lot of barely used G22's on the market for $300 and under. Even though I am a .45 guy (only because I have owned and shot them for years) I am seriously considering buying a used G22 or two just to keep in my vehicles.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    There are a lot of barely used G22's on the market for $300 and under. Even though I am a .45 guy (only because I have owned and shot them for years) I am seriously considering buying a used G22 or two just to keep in my vehicles.
    If you aren’t opposed to the M&P series (which was built around the .40), Summit has a steal right now:
    http://summitgunbroker.com/m-p-40--285.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I have purchased a Sig P229 and G23 -- both LEO trade-ins and smoking deals -- in the last 3 months for precisely this.
    Last edited by HackerF15E; 10-21-18 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    .40 isnt the round du jour but it isnt dead.

I keep one .40 just in case 9mm dries up again.

.40 isn't a 'bad' round, it simply isn't as relevant as it was. Its era was the 90s.

When it was,new it had a niche but 9mm tech has advanced. It still makes for a good semi wadcutter and is always going to live in IPSC.

.38 Super is still around (A far more interesting round imo).

Plus a lot of the average joes buy up all the cheap resale .40 trade ins and dont obsess over caliber and can go to wal mart and buy a box.

There are a lot more people in this world happy with one pistol and a couple of mags than the guys who get super analytical about handguns and hoard 300 glock mags
    I agree. Especially with regard to IPSC or USPSA. I haven't checked in a few years but .40 was the caliber to have in the in the single stack division.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have not been to the gun shop in a while but a friend tells me there are a pretty good amount of used 40 Glocks and M&P's at the shop. I think that the used market for them might be better and they do convert to 9mm pretty easily, at least Glocks do. I have a 40 Sig 226 and I reload for and its a really good shooter. Not a bad round but with factory ammo it is more expensive than 9.

Ed

Feedback Score
    Fortay ! 9mm will ever sound that cool. Something inside of me says a Mech Tech conversion in 40 S@W would be interesting.
    Last edited by SteveS; 12-16-17 at 15:26.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112