Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the .40 S&W dead ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are there any pistols are chambered in .357Sig that you can't just drop a .40 barrel in?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My biggest caliber regret is .357 Sig. I went through a phase and thought there was more to it than there was. No. If you want .357, get a real .357.
    I have a real .357... It only holds 6 rounds. My P229 is 12+1. Agreed that the round might be over-hyped a hair, but I carried it on duty for years, and have seen the results from years of data that has come in since it's inception. It's a keeper IMHO.

.40 is OK. Nothing "wrong" with it. I have a .40 drop in for my .357 just in case...

I did get rid of my dedicated .40 and switched back to 9mm.. As for .40... I went back to it's roots for what it was designed in the first place... 10mm.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never delved into the whole 9/40 to this extent. 9 works, 40 works. Both have their own advantages over the other. I own three 40sw handguns. G22, G23, HK P2000. Both Glocks were brand new police trades and cost just under $600 combined. I find the recoil on the Glocks to be rather mild. It's not a 9 but I don't see the snappiness that everyone hates. And they're quite accurate. As long as there's plenty of ammo available I'll continue to own at least one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I could get a .40 barrel but the HK is really the only .40 I care for.

Cant explain it but it does handle .40 a bit better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I guess I'm different.

I've shot 9s and 40s for years, and recently decided my carry pistol is my Sig P229 in 357 Sig. Having looked over quite a bit of ballistic/penetration data it just seems to be really good compared to 9 or 40.

Some may object to snappy recoil, but it's not that different than a 40 with the highest powered loads in both. As a carry pistol, recoil is a non-issue in these calibers, as it won't be a real factor if it has to be used in a real life situation. Now if you want to carry a 357 or 44 Magnum, with full house loads, that would be different.

For practice I reload my own, so cost really isn't a factor.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    .40 is a cheaper alternative to fire from a 10mm. Doesn't seem to cause any problems, pleasant, cheap.

My favorite Glock calibers (double-stack guns) in order:

1. 9mm
    2. .40 (fired from a 10mm)
    3. .45
    4. .357 auto / 5. 10mm (tie)
    5. .40 (Fired from a .40)

Feedback Score
    I think it's impossible to say with any certainty right now what WILL happen to .40 S&W.... IN TIME. As is currently sits, it is NOT the flavor of the month hotness as it once was when it was new. It is also NOT a wildcat cartridge by any stretch of the imagination, so it is far from DEAD... as even wildcats are still very much ALIVE.

What do I think of the .40 S&W? I tend to agree with the minds who were working at the FBI at the inception of the .40 development, it is a flat out fantastic cartridge for what THEY needed it to do. Does it have it's drawbacks? Obviously, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum everywhere. What doesn't seem to get mentioned in those discussions it it's benefits... so it is losing favor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In all fairness, as long as there is IPSC; .40 will be relevant. It just wont be the de jure handgun round it was for the last 20 years.

9mm has come a long way

Feedback Score
    True.
    It has a decent major following, and a smaller but rabid 40 minor following in production.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    I guess I'm different.

I've shot 9s and 40s for years, and recently decided my carry pistol is my Sig P229 in 357 Sig. Having looked over quite a bit of ballistic/penetration data it just seems to be really good compared to 9 or 40.

Some may object to snappy recoil, but it's not that different than a 40 with the highest powered loads in both. As a carry pistol, recoil is a non-issue in these calibers, as it won't be a real factor if it has to be used in a real life situation. Now if you want to carry a 357 or 44 Magnum, with full house loads, that would be different.

For practice I reload my own, so cost really isn't a factor.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast