Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the .40 S&W dead ?

Feedback Score
    I see a lot of 40s at "gun games". I shoot a 40 for IDPA and USPSA because to me the perceived recoil impulse is softer and that bigger bullet helps on hits right at scoring lines.....also kills No Shoots easier but thats the double edge.

Feedback Score
    Less popular around here that's for sure.

Police have Glock 22's because thats what they've had for a long time. Most of the officers don't care either way as long as the pistol isn't too heavy.

The ones who are somewhat into guns are split up between liking .40, wishing they had .45's, wishing they had 9mm's, and a few who wish they still had S&W .357 revolvers.

None of these somewhat gun guys like the Glock trigger on their new gen 4's. They had Glock put the "8.5lb" bar in it but whatever...the triggers are 10-12 lbs. And no, most of the Officers don't shoot them well.

As far as off duty/non-police use of the .40? Most of the cops/non-cops I know don't carry off duty at all and the ones who do carry .380's.

Feedback Score
    Technology may be the cause of it's downfall. Bullet technology has really improved the usefulness of the pistol calibers and especially has caused the 9mm to be as lethal as the 45 and 44 calibers. I would rather have more ammo with less recoil any day. I went from the 45 to the 9mm. It is easier to shoot and I can carry more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Technology may be the cause of it's downfall. Bullet technology has really improved the usefulness of the pistol calibers and especially has caused the 9mm to be as lethal as the 45 and 44 calibers. I would rather have more ammo with less recoil any day. I went from the 45 to the 9mm. It is easier to shoot and I can carry more.
    Regardless of the caliber, I'm always amazed that bullet technology only improves 9mm and no other.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ryno, maybe the reason for bullet technology improvements having occurred more frequently in 9mm is that this caliber needed more help. Here I refer to 9mm hardball and its poor performance. I think that the new bullet technology--once it was developed for 9mm--was easily applied to .40 and .45.

I have a Glock 20 10mm and soon plan to buy a .40 S&W conversion barrel. One reason is that I have a sinful amount of spent l.e. 40 S&W brass--so much that I may not worry too much about picking up empties if I get lazy. Another is that I'm queer to cast bullets, and a third is that the bigger and heavier Glock 20 will have less perceived recoil when firing factory .40 S&W ammo. Severe arthritis restricts what and how much I shoot so I need to take the easy way out.

One of our distinguished law men from Alaska wrote in this forum about the Glock 20 using a 40 S&W conversion barrel. His well written review prompted me to buy the G 20. With the soon to come H political situation, conversion barrels make more sense for 10mm shooters. This ammo is not easily found nor is it cheap. Fly man, are you listening?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Ryno, maybe the reason for bullet technology improvements having occurred more frequently in 9mm is that this caliber needed more help. Here I refer to 9mm hardball and its poor performance.
    That's what I've always wondered. For the record, I own .380, 9mm, .40S&W, .45, & 10mm. I've heard many people talk about 9mm & improvements on bullet technology & wondered why it only improves the 9mm. Was is because 9mm sucked so bad prior or what? Otherwise, they should all benefit, no?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not all enhancement in performance is linear. You have chamber pressure limitations, and can only get each round moving so fast in a pistol barrel. A 20% gain in expansion may be possible in a 9mm round, but the 40 might only see a 10% gain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Not all enhancement in performance is linear. You have chamber pressure limitations, and can only get each round moving so fast in a pistol barrel. A 20% gain in expansion may be possible in a 9mm round, but the 40 might only see a 10% gain.
    What about the .380 or .45? How did technology affect 9mm the most?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Willie, I hear you. But I kinda like my G20 as is.

Attempts have been made to saddle me with G22s and M&P .40s. Bleh. G21 thanks.

My USP Expert is actually one of the more comfortable .40s or maybe just one I am most accustomed to. I doubt I'd get rid of it, but again, wouldn't mind miracling it into a 9mm.

10mm can be a chore to find at times but I don't shoot it like all that much. I think a lot of people are "rediscovering it" so I doubt it will go away. They still make .41 magnum.

On the commercial market, .40 will still be sold everywhere because it is like the Mountain Dew and Skoal of pistol calibers. It makes people "feel" like they have something better than a 9mm. Most everyday gun buyers are not really that switched on, hence DPMS.

But I do think its days of 'social work' are coming to a twilight as the word spreads.

The only odd bird caliber I really like is .357 Sig. It is pretty flat shooting and even a stout +p is in normal .357 sig range. Doubt I would go all in, but I do enjoy my G31 as tuckaway gun

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Regardless of the caliber, I'm always amazed that bullet technology only improves 9mm and no other.
    How do you figure?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast