Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best security/concealable holster?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Now that you've up-dated the original post... the 7377 holster is not a level 2 retention holster, it is a level 1 retention holster. It is fast, it will keep your gun from falling out of the holster, but it is not particularly concealable and won't slow down a gun snatch any more than a thumb snap.

If you want a level 2 retention 7TS "concealment" holster (really, the 7TS "concealment" holsters are duty holsters attached to pants belt loops and paddles), you want the 7367. It still won't be particularly concealable, but it will offer the retention level you want in a brand and style similar to what you suggested. Another option would be the Safariland 0701, although I doubt it would be much better from a concealment stand point than the 7377 or 7367.

If you want something that is actually concealable and offers level 2 retention, your best bet is probably going to be to contact a saddlery shop that offers both good level 2+ duty holsters and concealment holsters and see if they will make you something that will work for you.
    Thanks everyone for your help and your replies.....please keep them coming, if possible.

I realize holsters are very subjective, but I want to try my best to avoid a 'second' drawful of holsters just for this job.

I recall the model Safariland 0701. It didn't seem to takeoff as a 'successful' design like its bigger brother the SSIII 070, which seems to be still somewhat popular?

Based on my requirements and that the 0701 still seems to be available through a few vendors, I may go this route. (The 0701 appears 'slightly' more compact than the ALS's and also seems to ride a bit higher which could help concealment as the situation requires.)

Anyone have more personal input with the 0701 ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

7ts safariland. My favorite owb retention holster I've tried so far.

some models are level 2 retension. Some are level 3. Super fast draw. Various heights and options. Mine in the photo is a 7378 I think. Came with both mounts. It's high enough that it can conceal, as well as it can I guess. It's no AIWB type concealment. My 19 completely disappears in vedder holster Aiwb with my home brew setup. I wear a stretchy belt, and can adjust ride height for jeans, shorts, even gym shorts and white shirts buy using the waist bands to conceal the grip. For the people I'm around I need full concealment all the time.

The only time I use the owb safariland is range and when I'm in the mountains. I really like it for that role. It's not as bulky as a lot of the other holsters our there. But if some kind of concealment, and still be level 2 or better, your list is kinda short. The 6300 safari holsters are much bulkier.

Hope that helps. I've avoided the big drawer full of holsters thing so far. I tired a serpa, and it wasn't for me. The safarand ALS feels very natural to me. No extra thought needed. My thumb falls there every time. I just have had a hard time getting comfortable with owb holsters that don't have retention.
    Last edited by cbx; 08-24-16 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Retention levels have become a term of art. Safariland is referring to the open top ALS (63XX/73XX) as level two with the ALS lever being one level and the friction of the holster being another. They originally referred to the duty ALS holsters with the good as "level 2+", but now they're calling them level 3.

I think the ALS open tops are fine retention holsters, particularly if you are wearing them concealed (which I understand they are not the best for). Any amount of weapon retention training will tell you to under-emphasize retention devices and focus on physical retention, too.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Standard open-top ALS holsters are (per Safariland) Level 1 retention holsters. The addition of the ALS guard bumps that to Level 2.

The ALS/SLS holsters are Level 3. The addition of the SLS sentry bumps that to Level 4.

ALS/SLS holsters are still not very concealable.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Milt Sparks is awfully tough to beat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are going to be carrying for a job with the 7TS holster, you may want to purchase the ALS guard and the hood guard also.
    The ALS guard works great during retention drills and the hood guard just helps keep the release lever from being accidentally depressed.
    I would also suggest purchasing a good mid-ride belt loop for that holster to replace the paddle. Paddle holsters can be easily broken during a gun grab. Your pistol will be more secure with a belt loop.

Sent from my iPhone6
    via TapaTalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12