Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What pistol for a steady diet of +P+, ?

Feedback Score
    The SIG P226 X5 would also be a good candidate for this dubious goal. All steel frame, using dimensions originally specific to aluminum alloy so there is extra strength. Plus this pistol has a dual recoil spring/buffer similar to the HK USP which is also an excellent candidate.

If you don't have to have a semiautomatic pistol for this duty there are some revolvers that would be ideal for this. In fact far better suited to it than a semi-auto. A Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with a 9mm conversion cylinder for example. Maybe one of the new Korth Mongoose .357's with the 9mm cylinder if you've got $$$ to burn. Either of those handguns, plus a few other revolvers with conversion cylinders wouldn't even notice a hot 9mm round. I doubt very seriously that a 9mm case can hold enough powder to damage a conversion cylinder in a revolver made as tank like as those mentioned.

Feedback Score
    I know you said "besides the Glock 17", but for the cost of the pistol and spare parts like the recoil spring unit you could buy two 17s' for what a HK USP would cost.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You didn't specify 9mm, but based on the guns you mentioned I conclude that is what you meant...
    I was looking at the HK mk23 again (sold the one I had a long time ago) but that is geared up for .45 Super; what a beasty gun;
    But, went ahead and purchased a USP tactical .45 last week. Shot it this weekend with the tirant.
    The USP line seems so robust;

I would think about a USP 9mm tactical, if it in the budget; it pretty sure it comes with a match trigger
    Last edited by scubadds; 08-22-16 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but I hope you never have to rely on it. It was co-developed by Austrian police with Hirtenberger so that it doesn't expand in bad guys at all. I have the official specs lying in front of me and can scan them if you want- and can read German. All it does is to prevent ricochetts better than FMJ.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A soft tip that does not expand is counter intuitive.
    I have shot several deer in 100llb + weight and everyone exited T&T w/5/8" permanent wound channel.
    Pamphlets and spec sheets don't impress me much, 14" of transverse tissue destruction through shoulder
    area exiting past last rib from a .38 cal. pistol does.
    You act like i'm trying to sell you some but I'm not, I am genuinely impressed with this cartridge and I
    imagine it would penetrate all but the best vests.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    I imagine it would penetrate all but the best vests.
    I highly doubt that, especially if it's a soft point bullet.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 08-22-16 at 16:28.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whatever

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    Whatever
    Can you name another standard duty caliber in soft point or JHP that will "penetrate all but the best vests?" out of a pistol? If not, why would that one? You're not making a lot of sense in this thread.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In all fairness, about 12 odd years ago Second Chance (or Point Blank, It's been a while but at the time they were the soft armor guys) let some bumsteers out the pasture. They were IIA and a .38 +P would tear through it. Those vests got recalled (I had one) but enough velocity would eat through them.

Today, no commercial round is going through the latest IIIA soft armor. Unless you use a rifle round or some weird Eastern European steel core 9mm AP, it isn't happening.
    Last edited by Firefly; 08-22-16 at 18:07.
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    In all fairness, about 12 odd years ago Second Chance (or Point Blank, It's been a while but at the time they were the soft armor guys) let some bumsteers out the pasture. They were IIA and a .38 +P would tear through it. Those vests got recalled (I had one) but enough velocity would eat through them.

Today, no commercial round is going through the latest IIIA soft armor. Unless you use a rifle round or some weird Eastern European steel core 9mm AP, it isn't happening.
    Understood, but were discussing latest bullet tech and latest vests, vs outdated bullet and vests...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    For stateside CCW or LE duty use I see no compelling need to base a weapon choice around a specialty round meant for a likely low probability specific situation.

Dennis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast