Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Replace 10" KMR Alpha - Which M-Lok rail?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Geissele MK8, I know they dont make a 10" but it is an outstanding rail. Or the URX4 which I have in keymod. I think is the easily one of the best rails on the market but definitely not the easiest to install the gas block but I could see this being easier with mlok.
    Last edited by themonk; 08-26-16 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well DD was supposed to start producing their new mlok rails in 10 inches but don't ever appear to be coming out as standalone items.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharp View Post

I get that Magpul drives the industry to an extent but their engineering often leaves me rolling my eyes. Look at the position of the QD socket on a CTR stock for instance. A small position change and it would have actually functioned properly.
    Yeap

Have noticed that with several of their stocks. The QD cup is in the wrong position and doesn't allow the sling to lay nice.

In contrast, an LWRC compact stock has a QD socket that has 90 degree stops positioned in an X pattern which allows a right mounted sling to flow over the back of the stock at a 45 deg angle and then flow over the shooters shoulder.

Magpul stocks just don't work for me when it comes to QD position. The sling gets bunched or twisted or is never laying quite right.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-26-16 at 23:20.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Primary Arms had 25% off Geissele products so I picked up the MK8 9.5 for $172 shipped. Looking forward to trying it out, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Geissele MK8, I know they dont make a 10" but it is an outstanding rail. Or the URX4 which I have in keymod. I think is the easily one of the best rails on the market but definitely not the easiest to install the gas block but I could see this being easier with mlok.
    G rail all the way. I have a few and they are all great. I really like the ease of install and how solid they are.

Ive also cut down a 13" to 10"...worked great!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The MK8 showed up and I discovered (to my horror) that my existing KMR alpha 10" is actually a 10.5". So I wouldn't be losing .5" with the MK8 I'd be losing a full inch (insert jokes about my wife here). The other issue I have with the MK8 is that it is trying to emulate the shape and profile of a quad rail. I don't like quad rails, I like the small profile of the KMR much better (insert 2nd round of jokes here).

So, the MK8 goes back and I go back to the drawing board.

I have a basically new BCM 12.5 upper that I'm probably going to sell. Then I'm going to get the experience of building an upper from the ground up and probably build it around a DD 11.5 barrel and the midwest industries or KAC URX 4 10.5 rails.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    The newer ALG Defense hand guards have the M-LOK sections "flattened" for accessories to fit flush. I find the ALG hand guards to be more comfortable than the Geissele hand guards, but that's just me. One thing to note, although the ALG includes a wrench, it's designed to be used with shims and installed without a torque wrench, and you must time the barrel nut. The Geissele hand guards also include a wrench, but the barrel nut does not have to be timed.

I like the ALG MLOK Handguards I just wish they would have used an inverted Geissle Barrel nut with the locking bolts towards the 12 O'clock of the handguard.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    Can anyone provide a heads up on any issues with replacing a DD MFR rail with the G mk8? Easy at home job, or does stuff need to be pulled by someone with experience doing it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldozer3 View Post
    Can anyone provide a heads up on any issues with replacing a DD MFR rail with the G mk8? Easy at home job, or does stuff need to be pulled by someone with experience doing it?
    There are tons of YouTube videos that cover the basics. Nothing particularly complicated, you will remove the old rail and barrel nut using whatever tools are required along with removal of the muzzle device.

Clean everything then apply manufacturers directions for proper installation of new barrel nut (season threads and use aeroshell), re-align gas tube and new rail, torque all fasteners properly, re-install muzzle device.

You need a vice and a reaction rod or Magpul armorers block to do the job correctly along with all the regular tools and materials. If you will only do it on or two times in your life then pay an armorer or gunsmith to do it properly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456