Thread: Budget multi-purpose AR finished.

Feedback Score

Budget multi-purpose AR finished.

Story time:

Last sunday was gunday. Went to the range to meet my brother, tested a lot of new loads pictured on the bench. HSM's 55gr bergers were shooting very well, so I decided to do the MOA Challenge (barmforum aside, I like the challenge). Results were phenomenal for non-handloads. Noveske Varmageddon did almost as well, and good old FGMM 69gr wasn't far behind. Barnes Range AR and Black Hills 60gr Vmax were shooting almost as bad as the bulk American Eagle we had brought out (1-2in groups). Before anyone asks, yes I did cry when I opened up the top right group on the fifth shot. Recoil was non-existent. My brother has a Colt Competition with a three port brake and it is insanely loud, yet still had more recoil than a properly tuned SLR AGB (ejections at 1oclock, lock back with PMC .223 that was sitting in freezer all night). Started to rain and we went our separate ways, both very happy.

Rifle Parts list (prices do not include shipping, much of which was free, most items bought on sale):

Upper:

- Barrel: Lothar Walther 16in, medium gas, LW poly rifled, LW-50 stainless steel, medium contour, 1:8 twist, $199. Bought this on Molon's recommendation, he couldn't have been more right on. This is one of the, if not the absolute best barrel under $300 for precision work.

- Upper: Anderson upper with Aero port door and FA, $70.

- Handguard: Guntech USA 12in slant cut handguard $50.

- Gas tube: Aero Melonited Gas Tube, $15.

- Bolt Carrier Group: Odinworks nitride BCG $107.

- Gas Block: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Clamp on $105

- Charging Handle: BCM Gunfight $42.

- Muzzle Device: Vltor A2 $38 (splurged a bit here).

Lower:

- Lower Receiver: GWACS CAV-15 mk II blem, $75.

- Small Parts: Individual parts bought from midway, red barn, and joebobs, and WOA piggybacking on other orders ~$10 (got given a seekins bolt release and selector later by a friend who didn't want them).

- Trigger: Hiperfire EDT $80.

- Buffer Weight: Standard Carbine $7.

- Buffer Spring: JP Polished $19.

**Total Rifle Cost: ~$820**

Accessories:

- Optics: SWFA 10x42 B list $269, Holosun Infinity 402 $118.

- Rail Covers: BCM $10.

- Bipod/Mount: Cadwell (crap) bipod 6-9 bipod $27, nameless keymod adaptor $10.

- Mags: Lancer L5AWM 30rnds, Stoner 5 round (bipod use/legal hunting limit).

- Sling: Frank Proctor Way of the Gun $19.

- Light: Streamlight ProTac 1 in RAS mount $79.

Pics:

This is how it looks on the rack at home for HD:

This is the rifle in range mode, the bag is a 8in weibag:

Range, middle berm is 100 yards:

Groups (yes I cried salty tears after pulling the 5th shot on the upper right group) taped hole is from a particularly inaccurate mosin shooter next to me:

Overall could not be more pleased, just saving now for an Aimpoint and a SiCo Omega .
    Last edited by Potss; 08-24-16 at 02:55. Reason: Order of pics.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question

Why this receiver - GWACS CAV-15 mk II ?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    It is substantially lighter and cheaper than a comparable standard setup. This allowed me to pout more money towards parts that mattered. For this you sacrifice interchangeable grip/stock which was fine for me, but won't be for everyone.

Feedback Score
    Nice. Sometimes I like the challenge of cheap builds, anybody can make a sweet gun, just write a check.

But to do it cheap? That's another challenge.

That lower is the only viable option for polymer, Imo. How are you liking that thing?

What buffer/spring does that lower use?

Feedback Score
    I LOVE the CAV-15 lower. Light, durable, comfortable. LoP is perfect for me, which I ensured before buying one. Not for everyone though.

The buffer/spring is listed above. It is a JP polished silicon spring (+10%~ over standard strength) and a standard carbine buffer (3.1oz I think). Works darn well with the adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love my cav lower, I don't know why they aren't more popular. I hacked off a couple inches on mine and mounted a soft buttpad secured with inner tube. I also added the IWC sling mount, I highly recommend it if you want Qd capabilities

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Feedback Score
    Haha slowlowmiata I saw your build thread, that thing is great! Love the purple. I don't need QD cause I have the Proctor WotG sling, but I might add a recoil pad someday like you did.