Thread: MURS radio and the fire department

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

MURS radio and the fire department

I was looking to get some MURS radios for emergency communication with nearby friends incase of an emergency but I'm confused about how it's legally used.

I'm mainly asking because I noticed a relatively nearby fire department uses 151.820 for their "Tac 1" channel and no license number is listed on Radio Reference for it.

I was worried that if I get a few of these if I would be legally interfering with the FD by using MURS1 or if the FD are the ones doing something wrong because based on the few articles I read about MURS over at ITS and elsewhere it seems that MURS is meant for everybody and can't be utilized for "official purposes".

Or am I way off here?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    TAC1 is usually an unrepeated foreground operations channel. If no one is working on a scene, it's just dead air. It's also common and shared so different departments responding from different freqs can use it to work and stay off the main dispatching bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    MURS is more trouble than it's worth.

If you're not interested in getting licensed, I would look heavily into GMRS or CB.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Doesn't GMRS require a license or did they change it?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    It does, but it's a matter of, if your money's green, you get a license. There's no knowledge test like there is with ham.

Also, you'd get a much better selection of radios.

What, approximately, is your budget per radio?