Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Gun/Multigun as Proving Ground?

Feedback Score

3 Gun/Multigun as Proving Ground?

So does anyone else think that competitive shooting like 3gun or multigun is a good way to test guns, optics, accessories and other gear? I recently thought that other than taking it to a class or running your own independent tests that it's a good way to evaluate a product or even a new shooting style/stance/grip. As far as evaluating a muzzle device, trigger, or optic I feel 3 gun is probably the best place since you're getting to put it through it's paces and you can kind of compare it to how others on the range are doing. They always say that if you want to break something give it to a 3 gun guy, but people are so concerned with durability tests, how about is this practical or does it feel good in use? That's awesome you can throw it on the ground run it over, and light it on fire and it still performs but is it a product that I'm going to actually enjoy using or is it one that's practical to use? I think 3 gun is a good way to evaluate this because you're going to be running around shooting at multiple targets at varying distances and you're able to get a real feel for how it performs.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    So does anyone else think that competitive shooting like 3gun or multigun is a good way to test guns, optics, accessories and other gear? I recently thought that other than taking it to a class or running your own independent tests that it's a good way to evaluate a product or even a new shooting style/stance/grip. As far as evaluating a muzzle device, trigger, or optic I feel 3 gun is probably the best place since you're getting to put it through it's paces and you can kind of compare it to how others on the range are doing. They always say that if you want to break something give it to a 3 gun guy, but people are so concerned with durability tests, how about is this practical or does it feel good in use? That's awesome you can throw it on the ground run it over, and light it on fire and it still performs but is it a product that I'm going to actually enjoy using or is it one that's practical to use? I think 3 gun is a good way to evaluate this because you're going to be running around shooting at multiple targets at varying distances and you're able to get a real feel for how it performs.
    Speaking only for myself, I've taken serious use guns to matches and uncovered flaws that run the gamut from usability to reliability. When you put a gun and your skillset on the clock and shooting from unorthodox positions, gremlins tend to appear. A three day class might not uncover what a single stage does and vice versa. In a perfect world you'd take classes AND shoot matches.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have thought like this for a while. With in reason of course, not too many matches are going to allow plate carriers or battle belts but for the testing of an optic, trigger, or any other widget it's perfectly fine. Better than waiting until that 400 dollar class you saved up for and find out you don't like something or doesn't work as advertised.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    I have thought like this for a while. With in reason of course, not too many matches are going to allow plate carriers or battle belts but for the testing of an optic, trigger, or any other widget it's perfectly fine. Better than waiting until that 400 dollar class you saved up for and find out you don't like something or doesn't work as advertised.

I use my HSGI suregrip battle belt in 3 gun, yes you're right they might not let you run around in a plate carrier, but you can always ask right? But I agree and that was partially my point in that classes are expensive even from trainers who aren't big name. You have the cost of the class anywhere from $3-900 depending on who it, the gas money to get there, then on top of that some classes dictate you have 1K rounds with you. Going out and competing in a match allows a person to test something out that they wouldn't get to do at a normal range and comes at a cheaper price than going to a class.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I agree I would rather spend 20 bucks and 200 rounds at a club match to find flaws than 200 buck and 1k rounds at a class. I also think more people need to look at reliability for their uses, so many want that to hell and back snake eater gun but the most they will do is a club match.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    I agree I would rather spend 20 bucks and 200 rounds at a club match to find flaws than 200 buck and 1k rounds at a class. I also think more people need to look at reliability for their uses, so many want that to hell and back snake eater gun but the most they will do is a club match.

Went I see people doing some of these stress tests that stuff makes me cringe because these tests don't really do anything besides show hey I beat a gun against a tree or I set an optic on fire. But I rather find out hey my rifle can take me running it hard for a day, or hey my pistol functions and I can hit targets 3-25 yds out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've heard "It's never done that before" countless times at local matches. Stuff that will never show up at a bench. Throw in a little movement and rough'ish handling and problems become apparent.

Optics dying, free floats coming loose, muzzle devices spinning off, ultra awesome super thin handguards too hot to hold, BUIS nowhere close to being zero'd, extensions coming loose, "wow my suppressor got warm", QD slings QD'ing themselves, mis-adjusted magazine carriers littering the stage with full magazines, non-retained magazines hitting ground and barfing the remaining ammo and WML's falling off just to name a few.

I'm a big proponent of local matches. It's an awesome and cost effective way for people to vet equipment. And dare I say, maybe even learn a thing or two.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think that competitive shooting is a good test of skill and technique, and a poor predictor of gear suitability for anything other than competitive shooting. Optics sort of bridge the two; you can see if the reticle picks up, and if you can get hits, but it won't tell much about durability, low-light or night performance, or non-obvious targeting suitability.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I'm not saying it's an end all be all but it's good to get out see what you and your stuff can do and if you actually like what you sunk money into.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I'm not saying it's an end all be all but it's good to get out see what you and your stuff can do and if you actually like what you sunk money into.
    Yep. It lets people see rifles, like say a KAC, keep running when the RRA they brought croaked on stage one. RRA guy gets him a quality rifle. Starts actually finishing matches. Wants to improve and seeks out training. On and on. It's all steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast