Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me out of a Mossberg MVP Scout (and into something else?)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I was reading up on the predators and more than a few people have hit targets out to 1k. Now I know you are looking for something short and handy the Predator has a 22 inch barrel. The ranch and compact have 18 inch barrels if length is a factor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
    Alright, thanks to replies in here I'm now looking hard at a Ruger American Predator .308. I see a lot of good reviews.

Part of me still is in love with the MVP Scout using PMags - higher capacity, the ability to share with my AR10, and I have plenty.

But if the Ruger is superior, especially when it comes to accuracy..... the price on it is certainly attractive.

Another much higher quality rifle would be Tikka T3x lite. I'd consider taking a look at that before you buy, it's about $200 more, but you're getting a much better rifle. The Ruger will still be fine though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    ... Now I know you are looking for something short and handy the Predator has a 22 inch barrel. The ranch and compact have 18 inch barrels if length is a factor.

There is a .308 Ruger American Predator with an 18" barrel (still threaded). It's model 6974.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...or/models.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suggest that you determine its resale or trade value which might be low and also figure out whether or not you'll need to spend money on specialized triggers. Anybody know how smoothly the rifle feeds from its detachable magazine?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
    Alright, thanks to replies in here I'm now looking hard at a Ruger American Predator .308. I see a lot of good reviews.

Part of me still is in love with the MVP Scout using PMags - higher capacity, the ability to share with my AR10, and I have plenty.

But if the Ruger is superior, especially when it comes to accuracy..... the price on it is certainly attractive.
    The mag compatibility is always nice on paper but I can tell you full size mags on a bolt gun get awkward fast. Even 10 rounders can get long if you are running a bipod. I run AICS mags and rarely do I stray from the 5 rounders.
    As for your choice, I think the Ruger will be an excellent choice for a handy bush gun. Accuracy and price are hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I went and looked at a Ruger American Predator 308 at a LGS and the stock was so crooked that at the muzzle-end of the stock, it rubbed the barrel A LOT. I guess for the price you can't expect much, but for a rifle that touts "free floating barrel" in all the spec sheets and ad copy, I was suprised it was that bad.

Not saying they're all bad, as I've seen a grand total of one. I still may go the American route, but I'll be sure to check out the one I'm buying rather than take a luck of the draw ordering online and shipping to my FFL.

Anyone else have this experience?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12