Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting on the move

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Shooting on the move

Does anyone have tips or techniques for putting accurate shots down range on the move?

At a two gun match this past weekend there was a stage where you had to engage a 100 yard miniature steel silouhette while closing with it. Aside from being rusty from not firing a long gun in about three years, I found hitting it on the move to be about as difficult as getting my girlfriend to think I looked good with long hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Does anyone have tips or techniques for putting accurate shots down range on the move?

At a two gun match this past weekend there was a stage where you had to engage a 100 yard miniature steel silouhette while closing with it. Aside from being rusty from not firing a long gun in about three years, I found hitting it on the move to be about as difficult as getting my girlfriend to think I looked good with long hair.

Practice, practice, practice. First and foremost.

I love the "sniper" (if someone has the actual name of this method, please throw it out there, that's the name it was given to me during a rifle class) sling method for engaging while moving.

Probably not the intent of the sling method, but something I have found to work well if I am aware of the transition or what not.

Other than that, it's all about shot placement and trigger control. Just like the swaying of a rifle when shooting standing, the rifle will never be 100% steady, it's knowing when the rifle, the POA, the follow through, and your target will all be in order when the hammer drops.

Than again, I may be lucky, my girlfriend fell in love with me and my long hair. (Before I sold my soul to the white collar industries and conformed)

ETA: I just noticed that it's a Miniature Steel Target. Gunna be a tough one, for sure. I am inclined to agree with Grant.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 08-24-16 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

Shooting on the move at a target that far out (and small) is really not realistic IMHO. Not that it cannot be done, but realistically, you stop and shoot (kneeling, prone, etc).

With that out of the way, moving and shooting is really about accepting your wobble zone, bending your knees and arms (to absorb bounce) and narrowing and shortening your stride. It is a learned skill that you have to practice with.

Work on pistol first and then move to long gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    With that out of the way, moving and shooting is really about accepting your wobble zone, bending your knees and arms (to absorb bounce) and narrowing and shortening your stride. It is a learned skill that you have to practice with.

Work on pistol first and then move to long gun.

C4
    This and as previously mentioned practice. Crawl, walk, run it up.

Start by getting your standing stance down. I do not know the proper name but it is similar to isosceles. Put your feet shoulder width apart with toes inline, then pull your dominant/firing side foot back roughly 2-3 inches. Bend slightly at the knees, kick your rear end back a bit like you are beginning to sit down, push your upper body slightly forward keeping your spine straight (think of a lineman stance or starting to bend down for a deadlift). Make sure your trunk is squared off with the direction of fire (or target), and walk forward slowly heel toeing. Practice that while doing some dry fire/ready up drills, and then with live fire. Once you get comfortable holding that posture while walking, speed up the pace until you can do it with a jog/shuffle. Eventually incorporate things like dominant to non-dominant transitions, moving from cover to cover, etc. Do it enough and it gets tough.
    Last edited by Endur; 08-24-16 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the tips! I'll start to incorporate this more into my training.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Some other tips for ready up drills: when engaging targets on your flanks there are two methods that I know of; after identifying the target on your left you can pivot on your left foot to then square off with the target while simultaneously bringing your weapon up (from safe to semi if on a rifle/draw to press out or if already drawn to press out/low to high ready) and visa versa for targets on the right; or the step out method which is the same except you step out with your left for a target on the left or your right for a target on the right and then you follow on with your other foot squaring off. Engaging targets behind will depend on if they are orientated to your rear right or left; in this case it is the step out method; say a target is at your 5 o'clock, you would bring your right foot to your 5 o'clock and then pivot around and visa versa for one at the 7 o'clock; if at the 6 o'clock it will be your non-dominant foot or the opposite of your firing hand (some people have them mixed).

I want to make a correction on the stance previously mentioned. You pull back your dominant foot. I missed that error, I apologize.

I will try and find a video that demonstrates this. It is hard to articulate through a phone haha.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just started training shooting on the move and its much harder than expected but getting better...

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b2dap1 View Post
    Just started training shooting on the move and its much harder than expected but getting better...
    Definitely not easy haha but it is good training and fun.

For the OP: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...and-techniques - some more info there.

Ready = identify target, up = orientate and engage target

Crawl phase:
    Perfect the stance
    Dry fire ready up drills stationary at targets at the twelve
    Dry fire ready up drills stationary at targets on your flanks
    Dry fire ready up drills at targets to your rear

Do the above while walking (stop walking at the "up")
    Forward for targets at the twelve
    Face right and walk forward for targets to your nine
    Face left and walk forward for targets to your three
    Face rear and walk forward for targets at your six

Walk phase:
    Do the above dry fire while shuffling
    If you have a range that allows it and someone who knows these drills for a safety do the above with live fire while walking
    Incorporate dry fire drills while moving from obstacles, barriers, cover, etc

Run phase:
    The above with shuffling while live firing (again proper range with proper safety protocols)
    Take training courses as they will have more intricate techniques/drills

This will take time, repetition, and more repetition. Do not rush it.

You can do these drills with a rifle from the low ready to a high ready or from slung to a high ready, or with a pistol from the draw to a high ready or from a low ready to a high ready/secret service carry (think) to a press out.
    Last edited by Endur; 08-24-16 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As mentioned, reticle wobble. Of course as stability goes up, wobble amount goes down.

All good tips above and I'll add;

As a right handed shooter my sling is over my right shoulder. I run the sling between my pointer and middle fingers of my support hand while placing my pointer finger parallel to the bore. It gives me adjustable tension as needed. I drive the muzzle with my upper body instead of my support hand.

I don't like being locked in to a sling. Something happens, need more swing, start to fall, etc and I just slide back my support hand on the handguard releasing the tension. Insert "guy chicken flapping his elbows as he falls down the stairs with his hands in is pockets" gif.

While moving directly forward I tend to lightly drag my heels as i'm stepping down to feel the ground before committing my entire body weight. While moving directly backwards I drag my toes the whole time.

While doing everything correctly a person will still have reticle wobble if they're moving above snail speed. Anticipate the wobble and squeeze off rounds accordingly. Don't wait for a dead center stationary POA, it may not happen.

On my phone so tolerate my schematic, but this is basically my wobble. Those things at 2-3 o'clock? They're birds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Practice, practice, practice. First and foremost.

I love the "sniper" (if someone has the actual name of this method, please throw it out there, that's the name it was given to me during a rifle class) sling method for engaging while moving.

Probably not the intent of the sling method, but something I have found to work well if I am aware of the transition or what not.
    Never seen that, the guy looks like he is using a loop sling technique, but has the loop on the wrong arm.

A 'hasty sling' might work, but overall, I don't see that a tight sling is really conducive to shooting on the move. If you are gliding correctly your head should remain on essentially the same plane with little or no movement, you do have to you some degree, very small, of movement in your support arm to keep the dot semi centered when moving.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-25-16 at 09:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast