Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting on the move

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    You need to essentially master the basics before you start trying to run and gun like you are Pat McNamara.
    How do you know when you've mastered the basics? Is it even possible to master the basics?

To go fast you need to train fast. I think this is why we go to the range. To push limits. Get some reps with good hits first then pick up the tempo. It's ok to miss as long as you learn something and improve.

I think you need you need to approach training from both sides. On one side you need to be able to make solid repeatable hits. Maybe this is what you meant by mastering the basics? On the other hand I think you need to push on speed. Speed will come to some extent by just shooting but to maximize your potential I'm certain you need to push. Noone's going to the gym benchpressing getting solid 150 lb reps then expecting to lift 300 lb.
    Last edited by The_Swede; 08-26-16 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    How do you know when you've mastered the basics? Is it even possible to master the basics?

To go fast you need to train fast. I think this is why we go to the range. To push limits. Get some reps with good hits first then pick up the tempo. It's ok to miss as long as you learn something and improve.

I think you need you need to approach training from both sides. On one side you need to be able to make solid repeatable hits. Maybe this is what you meant by mastering the basics? On the other hand I think you need to push on speed. Speed will come to some extent by just shooting but to maximize your potential I'm certain you need to push. Noone's going to the gym benchpressing getting solid 150 lb reps then expecting to lift 300 lb.
    You can never truly master them. You do not want to jump immediately into the run phase of any training. Doing so enables bad habits and training scars. What is meant by mastering the basics is doing them enough with proper form and function until you feel comfortable. You go from there and push your limits. After you push your limits you basically give yourself an AAR to identify your weaknesses, sustainments, areas of improvements, and future goals. Start over and rinse and repeat. You build yourself up better and better everytime.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    We are probably saying the same thing, but with different approaches.

It boils down to if you want to be a powerlifter you do not go and attempt to break records on your first attempt at a lift. You want to be a professional racer you do not jump in a thousand horsepower car and hit the track trying to take corners at 120mph the first time behind the wheel.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine had me work on some movement drills the other day that went like this...With rifle, I start at 100 yards behind cover and fire 5 rounds standing, then run to 50 yard mark behind cover, drop to one knee and fire 5 more rounds, stand up and move to cover at the 25 yard mark while firing and when I hit the 25 yard mark I transition to sidearm and fire at 2 different targets (separated by 5 feet) while moving to the 10 yard mark... He said the point of the drill was moving from point A to point B to point C while shooting from cover! His point being that you are either trying to get you and your team out of a bad situation or trying to get a fallen team mate up and out! It really got the heart rate up and forced you to concentrate on multiple things at once! He called it movement with a purpose! I really enjoyed it!
    20160824_192052.jpg
    Last edited by jayclimber; 08-28-16 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    it is much easier with handgun, shooting and moving with a rifle is a lot harder because it all depend if you'll be using a scope and also the mount will be a factor of excellent precision

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123