Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting on the move

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did not know what I did not know. There is an article explaining the 'Sniper' method in the September issue of NRA Shooting Illustrated - Loop Up, page 92.

I upped the ante on my NRA membership and paid to have it in addition to American Rifleman. They haven't put the September issue on line yet, but if anyone wants to check back they can do so at: http://www.nrapublications.org/

I occasionally bought Shooting Illustrated when it was on newsstands, now it is only available through the NRA.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When practicing shooting on the move think "smooth". You will see movement of your sight system on the target and smooth movement beats jerky movement. Slow, smooth movement allows you to engage when the sight system is at or near center of mass of the target. When moving with a carbine imagine carrying a full cup of coffee on top of the front sight base. Move as if you are trying not to spill any of the coffee.

The farther away from your centerline you mount the stock, the more side to side movement you will see while moving. Try moving the stock as far inboard as you can comfortably move it. Ideally you want your head erect and not canted anymore than is necessary to secure a good cheek weld.

Whether or not you use a sling while moving is personal preference, I use a light hasty sling. If you do not use the sling, you do not want it swinging in the breeze, as this will induce movement of the sight system. The lower anything hangs off the carbine, the more movement you will induce. If you sling up and torque the sling tight, the carbine will move toward the arm applying pressure to the sling when the carbine is fired. Imagine bending a spring. If you bend a spring, then release it, the spring will move to it's natural state. The same thing happens with the sight system when sling pressure draws the carbine left or right.

Think of your body like tank. Everything above the belt line is the turret and barrel. Below the belt line are the tracks that will deal with the terrain. Your hips, legs and feet will deal with movement over rough terrain while the part of your body above the belt line smoothly rotates from side to side while engaging targets.

Taking a lot of smaller heel to toe steps vs long strides reduces vertical movement. If you have a long distance to cover this is a slow technique, but if you are only moving 25 to 50 yards it is a practical technique. The more you practice, the faster you will be able to smoothly cover ground while engaging targets.

This is the Cliff Notes version, I hope it helps.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-25-16 at 10:24.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    When practicing shooting on the move think "smooth". You will see movement of your sight system on the target and smooth movement beats jerky movement. Slow, smooth movement allows you to engage when the sight system is at or near center of mass of the target. When moving with a carbine imagine carrying a full cup of coffee on top of the front sight base. Move as if you are trying not to spill any of the coffee.

The farther away from your centerline you mount the stock, the more side to side movement you will see while moving. Try moving the stock as far inboard as you can comfortably move it. Ideally you want your head erect and not canted anymore than is necessary to secure a good cheek weld.

Whether or not you use a sling while moving is personal preference, I use a light hasty sling. If you do not use the sling, you do not want it swinging in the breeze, as this will induce movement of the sight system. The lower anything hangs off the carbine, the more movement you will induce. If you sling up and torque the sling tight, the carbine will move toward the arm applying pressure to the sling when the carbine is fired. Imagine bending a spring. If you bend a spring, then release it, the spring will move to it's natural state. The same thing happens with the sight system when sling pressure draws the carbine left or right.

Think of your body like tank. Everything above the belt line is the turret and barrel. Below the belt line are the tracks that will deal with the terrain. Your hips, legs and feet will deal with movement over rough terrain while the part of your body above the belt line smoothly rotates from side to side while engaging targets.

Taking a lot of smaller heel to toe steps vs long strides reduces vertical movement. If you have a long distance to cover this is a slow technique, but if you are only moving 25 to 50 yards it is a practical technique. The more you practice, the faster you will be able to smoothly cover ground while engaging targets.

This is the Cliff Notes version, I hope it helps.
    Excellent information here.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I did not know what I did not know. There is an article explaining the 'Sniper' method in the September issue of NRA Shooting Illustrated - Loop Up, page 92.

I upped the ante on my NRA membership and paid to have it in addition to American Rifleman. They haven't put the September issue on line yet, but if anyone wants to check back they can do so at: http://www.nrapublications.org/

I occasionally bought Shooting Illustrated when it was on newsstands, now it is only available through the NRA.

I am currently getting American Rifleman with my Life Membership.

I may switch to Shooting Illustrated as I hear it contains a little bit different of focus on topics.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is the end goal of shooting on the move? I'd say it is to get from point A to B or else you wouldn't be moving in the first place. Point B has better cover, an injured buddy, a shooting position in a match etc etc. Regardless you probably wanna arrive there sooner rather then later.

What am I getting at here? I see a lot of people both in the tactical/defensive community and the competitive community who shoot on the move just for the sake of shooting on the move. The thinking seems to be "I'm moving and shooting at the same time thus I'm efficient" while moving at a speed which is almost slow-motion. And then what's the point? Someone mentioned that it's probably better to post up and take a static shot in that case and I agree.

As soon as you grasp the absolute basics of shooting on the move, I'd try to pick up the pace, watch the sights carefully, and try to see what you can get away with for a certain target size/distance. Maybe get some video of yourself or have a buddy compare your shooting on the move pace to your brisk walking pace ornsomething like that.

Technique wise I'd put my money on lowering your center of gravity by bending your knees more than you think. In my experience if you get that right the rest will sort itself out.
    Last edited by The_Swede; 08-25-16 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    What is the end goal of shooting on the move? I'd say it is to get from point A to B or else you wouldn't be moving in the first place. Point B has better cover, an injured buddy, a shooting position in a match etc etc. Regardless you probably wanna arrive there sooner rather then later.

What am I getting at here? I see a lot of people both in the tactical/defensive community and the competitive community who shoot on the move just for the sake of shooting on the move. The thinking seems to be "I'm moving and shooting at the same time thus I'm efficient" while moving at a speed which is almost slow-motion. And then what's the point? Someone mentioned that it's probably better to post up and take a static shot in that case and I agree.

As soon as you grasp the absolute basics of shooting on the move, I'd try to pick up the pace, watch the sights carefully, and try to see what you can get away with for a certain target size/distance. Maybe get some video of yourself or have a buddy compare your shooting on the move pace to your brisk walking pace ornsomething like that.

Technique wise I'd put my money on lowering your center of gravity by bending your knees more than you think. In my experience if you get that right the rest will sort itself out.

While shooting on the move isn't the be all and end all solution, it's another wrench in ones tool box. It's better to have a large wrench collection. Going after a 15 mm bolt with a 13 mm wrench is futile. There are times to post up, there are times to move your ass and there are times to shoot when moving said ass.

This officer (With all due respect, RIP, Sir) posted up with assumed cover. He lost sight of the perp and didn't move. Cost him his life.

Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 08-25-16 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I am currently getting American Rifleman with my Life Membership.

I may switch to Shooting Illustrated as I hear it contains a little bit different of focus on topics.
    I had been getting American Rifleman, when I renewed for five I opted to pay 9.95 extra for a year of Shooting Illustrated.

Topics are different, but ALLLLLLLL the editorial stuff is exactly the same.

Feedback Score
    like i always say, practice makes perfect, this is real life and not the movies LOL. steadiness, breath control and timing is the keys. know when you body is settled, take a deep breath and fire.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    While shooting on the move isn't the be all and end all solution, it's another wrench in ones tool box. It's better to have a large wrench collection. Going after a 15 mm bolt with a 13 mm wrench is futile. There are times to post up, there are times to move your ass and there are times to shoot when moving said ass.

This officer (With all due respect, RIP, Sir) posted up with assumed cover. He lost sight of the perp and didn't move. Cost him his life.

Maybe I'm misreading your message, in that case sorry, but I fail to see what counterpoint to my post you are trying to make?

I'm not saying never shoot on the move or always post up and stay in one position or always shoot on the move or any such definitive thing. But if you are going to shoot on the move do it with a sense of urgency. Go places! Shooting on the move cannot be a goal in itself.

In case of the video the criminal was actually shooting on the move and moving pretty fast.
    Last edited by The_Swede; 08-26-16 at 04:07.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    But if you are going to shoot on the move do it with a sense of urgency. Go places! Shooting on the move cannot be a goal in itself.
    You need to essentially master the basics before you start trying to run and gun like you are Pat McNamara.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast