Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Gun Rifle Set up and Suggestions

Feedback Score

3 Gun Rifle Set up and Suggestions

So some of my buddies are wanting to get into 3 Gun/multigun and they ask what makes a rifle for gun different from a duty gun or regular everyday rifle. So I thought I'd do a video and write up on what I think are the easiest to get and arguably most important parts of a 3 gun rifle when you first start off.

Muzzle Brake
    You need a brake to reduce recoil and keep your gun flat so you can make quick follow up shots or make up shots. Flash hiders have their place on a duty/HD rifle but not in this sport. I've had really good luck with surefire brakes and really enjoy them on the rifles I compete with. My suggestions for a brake would be Surefire, Lantac, and JP.

Trigger
    We all know that the mil spec trigger works, but it's gritty, inconsistent, and can make a 300 yd shot more difficult than it needs to be. When you have a classifier or jungle run stage a good trigger for quick controlled pairs can make a big difference. Since 3 gun stages are varied and unpredictable you could be blasting paper targets then at the end you need to make a shot on a small plate at 300 yds so a trigger that is crisp can make a big difference. You'll see different trains of though on triggers some guys swear by two stages because of the longer shots and some run single stages. Having run both the Geissele SD3G and SSA-E I'll admit I prefer the SD3G hybrid/single stage. At times I catch myself with my SSA-E taking the slack on on targets that I just need to pull through like a single stage. That being said on a longer shot the SSA-E is more predictable when breaking a shot. My recommendations though are Geissele for two stages and their SD3G, Timney, and CMC.

Optic

In 3 Gun LPV's rule the world, the vast majority of rifles will be a 1-4 or 1-6. I've been saying this for 5 years now that the LPV's are the future of AR optics. They can be run at 1x like a dot and give you magnification to hit out to a realistic distance for an AR. You will see red dots in the factory division and for those I recommend a small dot because you may have to shoot a 6 inch plate at 300 yds and that isn't easy when your dot is covering the target. On your zero I recommend a 50 yd zero for your optic unless you have a BDC that says zero at 100. 25yd zeros will throw you off, the 50/200 zero eliminates the need to think, for a close in IDPA target aim neck and you'll hit chest. My choices for these style of optics would be any Trijicon 1-4/6, Vortex strike eagle or razor, and leupold 1-4/6.

You can get away with not having a match barrel early on but I recommend a quality stainless or CHF barrel from Noveske, FN, WOA, JP, or rainier. The more accurate your gun is the better. Also make sure you use a free float tube, you see all sort from troy, BCM, Midwest Ind, etc etc. Usually people run them without a grip or handstop but I prefer a short foregrip to brace into a barricade and having a short foregrip is just my style of shooting. having a solid stock helps so either go with a fixed or a collapsible stock with a lock like magpul or the rogers super stock. Billet vs forged doesn't really matter, I prefer forged because it's lighter and cheaper.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and I would love to hear what you guys think goes into a proper rifle for a beginner all the way up to advanced. I would love to pics of your guns too.

Last edited by ExplorinInTheWoods; 08-24-16 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would add reliable mags that seat on a closed bolt. Seen mags drop out because someone was in a hurry and thought the mag was in and wasn't.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I always say don't skimp on mags be it rifle or pistol, I run PMAG's in my rifles. If you have an anti tilt follower and strong feed lips you're good.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think that the rifle is the least of the worries in 3-gun. Being a decent shooter with a zeroed sighting system and ability to apply holds at distance is going to cover 99% of the needed tasks.

Optic is dependant on division, and the conditions that one shoots a match in are about the best one can get, so you can actually get away with glass that "serious" guys would scoff at. I have a few buddies that break hearts with Bushy 1-4s.

Triggers are heavily dependant on personal preference, and with the amount of gun-juggling that can occur, I don't recommend a terribly light trigger on the rifle. I've seen more people crank a rifle shot before it was ready due to the pistol to rifle change-over than I have seen hits made solely due to a crispy light trigger, especially in newer to competition people.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    ...........Optic is dependant on division, and the conditions that one shoots a match in are about the best one can get, so you can actually get away with glass that "serious" guys would scoff at. I have a few buddies that break hearts with Bushy 1-4s..................
    Which model scope are they running?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The 1-4x with the flip-out lever thing is fairly popular.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Depends on the person and the divisions. For the most common division which is Tac Ops or it may be Pro Ops now the 1-x scopes are what's used, everything from Bushnell to Schmidt and Bender.

Feedback Score
    Factory is red dot or iron sights. Practical is a magnified optic or a red dot with a magnifier. You can run offset irons if you want. Open/unlimited is whatever you want so you can go optic with an offset red dot. Most people run 1-4 or 1-6. I have seen guys run acogs and 3-9 scopes with offset irons. Most people run either Vortex, Leupold, or Trijicon out at matches. The guys that run red dots are at a disadvantage usually because stages can have longer shots, they honestly don't really perform better than the guys with 1-4/6 scopes on the short range courses.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Depends on the person and the divisions. For the most common division which is Tac Ops or it may be Pro Ops now the 1-x scopes are what's used, everything from Bushnell to Schmidt and Bender.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Factory is red dot or iron sights. Practical is a magnified optic or a red dot with a magnifier. You can run offset irons if you want. Open/unlimited is whatever you want so you can go optic with an offset red dot. Most people run 1-4 or 1-6. I have seen guys run acogs and 3-9 scopes with offset irons. Most people run either Vortex, Leupold, or Trijicon out at matches. The guys that run red dots are at a disadvantage usually because stages can have longer shots, they honestly don't really perform better than the guys with 1-4/6 scopes on the short range courses.
    Given that he quoted me, I'm pretty sure he was asking what Bushy model I was talking about.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If agreed about F2S's comment on the rifle. I run an Aimpoint T1 on the gun I use in competition because it's the only rifle in my stable with an optic right now and I've run that setup (CHF middy with a FSB, ACT trigger, and T1) for 6 years at this point and that gun has never been a shortfall for me. Most of the matches I shoot go out to 200-300 (usually mini-poppers at 200, 10" plates or larger at 300). Funniest one I was at was a guy on my squad that couldn't hit a 10" plate at 300 with a bipod and Nightforce 2.5-10 while I cleaned that stage because I know my rifle like the back of my hand.

What has been a shortfall has been my shotgun reloading and general fitness/athletic ability. Stages I get killed on almost involve speed of movement and shotgun reloads. If I were going to get back into 3-gun heavily, fitness and shotgun reloads would get most of my attention followed by pistol shooting then rifle shooting and finally new gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast