Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry 1911..opinion

Feedback Score

Appendix carry 1911..opinion

Recently switched back to carrying a 1911. Carried glocks in appendix carry for years (model 33 and 22). Anyone have any pros and cons of carrying a 1911 in this position?
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hides extremely well there. All the same pros. It's heavy is the con. 5shot SME does a good job .
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I carry a Dan Wesson ECO appendix in a JM AIWB. Hides very well and with the aluminum frame the weight is not too bad at all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carry a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander appendix in a G-code Incog w/mag caddy. Aluminum frame helps a lot, its comfortable too.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If anything, the external safety devices are considered plusses for appendix carry. Weight is obviously a concern with a 1911 and the beavertail and cocked hammer can print a bit. Depending on frame size, the grip length can be an issue as well, but that's true for any gun appendix carried.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    If anything, the external safety devices are considered plusses for appendix carry. Weight is obviously a concern with a 1911 and the beavertail and cocked hammer can print a bit. Depending on frame size, the grip length can be an issue as well, but that's true for any gun appendix carried.
    I consider external safeties a negative. That is why my glock 43 or glock 19 get carried more than the 1911. Sometimes i just feel like carrying the colt on the weekends.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer not to have a gun barrel pointed at my balls while sitting down. LOL

I prefer OWB (with vest or jacket), but in summertime I will go tucked at 4 o'clock position or carry my Kimber SOLO 9mm w/ Crimson Trace laser in front or back pocket carry.

Appendix carry is decent if you have some extra weight on you. If you are skinny, most decent sized guns print too much.

Bryant
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
    I prefer not to have a gun barrel pointed at my balls while sitting down. LOL

I prefer OWB (with vest or jacket), but in summertime I will go tucked at 4 o'clock position or carry my Kimber SOLO 9mm w/ Crimson Trace laser in front or back pocket carry.

Appendix carry is decent if you have some extra weight on you. If you are skinny, most decent sized guns print too much.

Bryant
    Most people find exactly the opposite is true, but there are many variances to body type. A purpose built AIWB holster, not just a straight drop el' cheapo hanging on the wall at your LGS, makes all the difference.

I've carried AIWB for over four years. Generally glocks (19, 17, 17k, 43), and a P30 for a bit. I've recently gone back to 1911's and I'll be carrying a WC ULC Commander in a 5 Shot. Only had the holster for a few days, but it's easily the most comfortable holster I've ever tried based on initial impressions. I have, or have used, JMCK standard AIWB and Universal, Spencer's Keeper, and an Eidolon. Each have their pros/cons.
    Last edited by straitR; 08-25-16 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    I consider external safeties a negative. That is why my glock 43 or glock 19 get carried more than the 1911. Sometimes i just feel like carrying the colt on the weekends.
    I meant specifically for appendix carry...many people who appendix carry feel that external safeties provide some additional safeguard that the gun won't discharge.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    Most people find exactly the opposite is true, but there are many variances to body type. A purpose built AIWB holster, not just a straight drop el' cheapo hanging on the wall at your LGS, makes all the difference.

I've carried AIWB for over four years. Generally glocks (19, 17, 17k, 43), and a P30 for a bit. I've recently gone back to 1911's and I'll be carrying a WC ULC Commander in a 5 Shot. Only had the holster for a few days, but it's easily the most comfortable holster I've ever tried based on initial impressions. I have, or have used, JMCK standard AIWB and Universal, Spencer's Keeper, and an Eidolon. Each have their pros/cons.
    I am not most people and I sure as hell don't speak for most people. I am a business person and carry wearing chinos or slacks and a dress shirt tucked in every day. On the weekends I wear more comfortable clothing (shirt untucked, etc), so I have more options. Carrying is the easiest for me in winter when I can carry OWB with a jacket (I can carry almost any full-sized pistol very comfortably). As far as the topic in question, I don't like appendix carry one bit. If you belly up to a counter, computer desk, or ever carry boxes of anything it sucks! When you sit down to drive it will be right on your johnson.
    Last edited by Hammertime; 08-26-16 at 18:23.
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast