Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P, Aero, or PSA king of the budget ARs?

Feedback Score
    If you know what to look for, or know someone who does, the psa is a decent deal. Just check assembly, and staking.

^Did the mp have m4 handgaurd vs the rail on your gun? I'm trying to figure how one companies can feel like crap vs anothers.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    M&P - the other two's customer service is nonexistent

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For a full carbine/rifle, of the 3 listed I would recommend the M&P based on brand history and reputation with customer service. I have had good experiences with Aero customer service though--order issue only, not equipment related.

I have found it very difficult to convince people who are very casual shooters (someone who wants an AR just to have one) that there are quality and manufacturing differences worth $200+ more in the Colt than the basement budget models. Desired use is different for everyone and a vast market is our friend (think cars and trucks). Honestly some of the guys I know who have bought ARs recently shoot less than 120 rounds a year, so for them the hobby-grade should work just fine.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 08-26-16 at 08:21. Reason: Info about Aero CS
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If you know what to look for, or know someone who does, the psa is a decent deal. Just check assembly, and staking.

^Did the mp have m4 handgaurd vs the rail on your gun? I'm trying to figure how one companies can feel like crap vs anothers.
    The M&P I messed with just felt cheap and rattled. Didn't feel solid to me.

Customer service is great but so has Aeros for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    I think technically a PSA Premium has the best specs which on their premium line is very close to colt/bcm on paper. That said, PSA's quality control/assembly quality and customer services doesn't have the same reputation that S&W has and although the M&P 15 sport has more commercial spec features such as a 1:9 twist 4140 barrel, it seems that the M&P Sport are more consistent in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Don't know to much about Aero Precision.

If I was buying I would go with the PSA due to the better specs and since I feel comfortable troubleshooting the rifle if need be. For a first time buyer however, I would go with the M&P Sport.

Another contender for the best budget AR is the Armalite Defender 15 series.
    https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-15f/
    I've been wanting to get my hands on a DEF15 to check one out. A few weeks ago a large seller on GB let a few go for 569 and while I was waffling, both sold. The only ? for me on it are:

Are they still using AR15 instead of M16 carrier?
    What RE are they using? Not much of an issue for me, but will be for others. All the stocks come either milspec or commercial and my preferred stock (UBR) comes with a tube anyway. Also, 6060 vs 7075 I've never seen an RE break.

Other than that, good luck finding anything else at that price with 1:7 twist, 4150, chrome lined, etc.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecropper View Post
    Customer service is great but so has Aeros for me.
    As in you have had a failure with the weapon and they fixed it no questions asked?? Or you just thought the sales guy and the website were cool?

If a failure please list the failure, Aero's resolution, method of contact along with the timeframe.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teksid View Post
    If I were buying ONE rifle I would go with the PSA premium.
    Why didn't you? Or did you? Can't tell from your post.

Feedback Score

M&P, Aero, or PSA king of the budget ARs?

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    As in you have had a failure with the weapon and they fixed it no questions asked?? Or you just thought the sales guy and the website were cool?

If a failure please list the failure, Aero's resolution, method of contact along with the timeframe.
    My buffer spring shed a coil after 750 (granted it still ran fine but was just a bit shorter.) rounds. I called the same day and they next day shipped me a new buffer spring no questions asked. I also spoke with their tech guy and let them know just in case it was a supplier/manufacturer problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Why didn't you? Or did you? Can't tell from your post.
    Yes. I also have a PSA premium. It only has 600 rounds through it, but no issues.
    I would pick the PSA out of those Three mainly because of The FN barrel and the Mil-spec BCG.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    "King of the budget ARs" must rank up there with jumbo shrimp, mighty midgets, honest politicians, clean coal, fair trade, etc.

S&W makes an OK product and has systematic customer service, but I have seen dimensional issues in several of their rifles. Not severe enough to prevent function, but something I don't consider acceptable.

I've owned a number of PSA uppers. Some were well assembled, some had issues, most often FSB alignment (not vertical). One of their BCGs, years ago, was dimensionally off in a way that prevented function, but was not obvious just in looking at it. They have great specs on paper but lack the quality control of more prestigious brands. Their customer service is also hit or miss. Caveat emptor.

I would think that Ruger and Windham Weaponry would be on a list of better cheap ARs, though I haven't owned their products. Likewise, Armalite makes a pretty decent product in the moderate price range.

I'm sure why Aero Precision gets so much grief here. I have a bunch of their stuff and haven't found actual defects in any of it made since 2012. I think their handguards and uppers are innovative. The current barrels seem to be well made for the price point. I do have two of their older lowers (c. 2010) and those have a minor dimensional issue, which I only discovered when trying to use one of them with a buttstock that also has a dimensional issue in the opposite direction, and way back then the anodizing wasn't great. But I haven't seen those issues on their newer products (again, since roughly 2012). I've also found their customer service to be pleasant and reasonably responsive (I have used it for shipping and ordering issues, not quality problems).

Still, at current prices the best advice is to save a few more pennies and get either a Colt OEM model or a BCM setup. Modest additional cost for much more confidence inspiring quality control, at least if you want a basic setup.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast