Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: M&P, Aero, or PSA king of the budget ARs?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Yep. I've never dealt with S&W's customer service, but I personally know a handful of people who have, and it's been positive every time.
    Machines break, all machines. Me, if I have a choice between similar products and company A known for top shelf CS and company B not so much or an unknown, It's company A. I'm always surprised how few people will even think about that aspect on purchasing. I was an adjunct instructor at S&W Academy for a year and both experienced and saw first hand the level of CS.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    I have a bunch of PSA lowers I've put together which all went together great. Just stay away from PTAC. The parts they use are obviously inferior (broken a few detents in their LPK myself, I think a hammer has surface rust after sitting in a closet).

The OEM colts are great if you're just going to put a hand guard on the rifle, but once you put on an A5 buffet tube, then replace the trigger, maybe put an lmt enhanced bolt carrier, replace the grip, replace the barrel and barrel nut, and finally replace the flash hider, I think building your own rifle makes more sense at that point. Both aero and PSA premium are fine for most people's use case imo.

If you look at TOS, there is a thread about Battlefield Las Vegas - they say the PSA parts actually hold up quite well. Mrgunsansgear also mentions this in a recent video as well I believe when interviewing an armorer.

As far as which one is the best, they all have their strengths. Aero's barrels seem to be of higher quality if you want something more than a government contour. That being said, I'd buy PSAs premium BCGs and LPKs over aero's. PSA lowest seem to be more consistently in spec than older Aero lowers. I'd probably buy a new Aero AR10 (once they figure out their shit) over PSA, but S&W would be the safer of the 3 there.
    Regarding battlefield Vegas, that goes back to psa offering great specs but unknown QC, since they have a full time staff it's irrelevant, vs a first time owner that doesn't know how to fire it.

Many, maybe half, of the non Leo AR owners I know have literally never shot their gun.

It's like a guitar, just feels cool to be able to say you have one ™

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    The hate for Aero obviously comes with a lack of knowledge or handling of their products. Their "budget" rifle has much better specs than the M&P by a mile and I wouldn't hesitate to put it a step above the PSA premium just because of fit and finish on the Aero being better. I would bet that some people hating on Aero are probably shooting a gun that Aero built parts on that they don't even know. Their "budget" AR comes with a 4150 steel 1/7 twist CMV barrel, full auto M16 BCG that is HPT and MPI that is properly staked and the bolt is made from high quality 158 carpenter tool steel, just like all the best of the best that we all rave about. Their receivers are machined and finished beautifully with a smooth and very durable anodized finish, which the uppers have a set screw to give you the option to really tighten down the fit of the upper and lower receivers, which is a nice option to have. Lots of high end ARs have slop in the fitment of the receivers so Aero did a nice job trying to eliminate this. The only thing they are missing is the history that comes with companies like Colt. But I would bet my life with an Aero AR just as well as I would with a Colt and surely more so than an M&P sport or PSA.

Not trying to start a war over this, but if you haven't checked out Aero stuff lately maybe it's time to take another look. They are really doing a great job and have some innovative stuff on the market.
    Last edited by mjpgolf1; 08-27-16 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    The hate for Aero obviously comes with a lack of knowledge or handling of their products. Their "budget" rifle has much better specs than the M&P by a mile and I wouldn't hesitate to put it a step above the PSA premium just because of fit and finish on the Aero being better. I would bet that some people hating on Aero are probably shooting a gun that Aero built parts on that they don't even know. Their "budget" AR comes with a 4150 steel 1/7 twist CMV barrel, full auto M16 BCG that is HPT and MPI that is properly staked and the bolt is made from high quality 158 carpenter tool steel, just like all the best of the best that we all rave about. Their receivers are machined and finished beautifully with a smooth and very durable anodized finish, which the uppers have a set screw to give you the option to really tighten down the fit of the upper and lower receivers, which is a nice option to have. Lots of high end ARs have slop in the fitment of the receivers so Aero did a nice job trying to eliminate this. The only thing they are missing is the history that comes with companies like Colt. But I would bet my life with an Aero AR just as well as I would with a Colt and surely more so than an M&P sport or PSA.

Not trying to start a war over this, but if you haven't checked out Aero stuff lately maybe it's time to take another look. They are really doing a great job and have some innovative stuff on the market.
    Wow - I am sure aero is super happy with your resounding endorsement. You really sound like you know your stuff!

Feedback Score
    Aero. I've handled products from all and have ordered quite a bit from Palmetto State. Its the 4150 steel barrel and the 8620 bolt carrier with a 158 bolt for $650 that ultimately makes this decision for me. While PSA has similar specs I don't think they have the quality controls Aero does.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I should have read a few posts ahead and just seconded.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Aero. I've handled products from all and have ordered quite a bit from Palmetto State. Its the 4150 steel barrel and the 8620 bolt carrier with a 158 bolt for $650 that ultimately makes this decision for me. While PSA has similar specs I don't think they have the quality controls Aero does.
    Palmetto does put out nice stuff, not only for the price, but nice stuff in general. It just seems like they grew a bit too fast and haven't been able to concentrate on both putting out enough product to fill the demand, and making sure that product is the best they can produce when it heads out the door on the way to the customer. I've had several parts kits show up with parts missing, along with machining and fit and finish issues with some of their stuff. That said I've also received stuff that was as nice as anything out there from them so it's not that they "can't" put out quality, it's that they just seem to miss quite a few marks trying to keep up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Those are some impressive specs for the money. Just curious, do they test parts individually?

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Those are some impressive specs for the money. Just curious, do they test parts individually?
    That I can't answer.

Feedback Score
    Palmetto does put out nice stuff, not only for the price, but nice stuff in general. It just seems like they grew a bit too fast and haven't been able to concentrate on both putting out enough product to fill the demand, and making sure that product is the best they can produce when it heads out the door on the way to the customer. I've had several parts kits show up with parts missing, along with machining and fit and finish issues with some of their stuff. That said I've also received stuff that was as nice as anything out there from them so it's not that they "can't" put out quality, it's that they just seem to miss quite a few marks trying to keep up.
    I've got a complete blem'd lower from PSA that works exceptionally well and paid only $150 (approximately) but over all I really like the Aero stuff, I've shot their Ar 308 and was very impressed with the 1 Moa group I got at 200 yrds. I got to shoot the AC-15 (budget AR) and found it to be very smooth for a $650 AR.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast