Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas port size for 16in rifle length gas

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Gas port size for 16in rifle length gas

I've always been fascinated by the Colt 605 and thought it a great idea. I've wanted a KISS/iron sights rifle for some time and like the rifle length hand guards but don't really feel a 20in barrel would be the best most practical solution in my area, should the rifle ever had to see serious use.

With the great pricing that grant offers on Coly rifles to First Responders, my plan is to buy an AR-15 A4, send it to ADCO and have the barrel cut to 16.5 and the gas port opened. I would also be putting in a Geissele SSA and a Lancer systems rifle length FF tube and Surefire MB556 to finish it off as the ultimate KISS gun.

What size should I have the gas port opened up to? Rifle will be run mostly on M193 but needs to run reliably on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They will suggest not going below 17.5"... at least that's what they told my brother a few years ago.

Most people use a midlength lopro gas system with fsb in the rifle position.

Will you be shooting unsupressed or is this for a 109% supressed gun?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-26-16 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    They will suggest not going below 17.5"... at least that's what they told my brother a few years ago.

Most people use a midlength lopro gas system with fsb in the rifle position.

Will you be shooting unsupressed or is this for a 109% supressed gun?
    Almost entirely unsuppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would suggest having a middy gas system with a FSB placed at the rifle position. A rifle gassed 16" barrel is finicky.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I understand these systems are finicky, what I'm looking for is a starting point for the gas port. I don't want a dissipator. If I have to I may just buy a FN or Colt carbine and stick a middy barrel on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I understand these systems are finicky, what I'm looking for is a starting point for the gas port. I don't want a dissipator. If I have to I may just buy a FN or Colt carbine and stick a middy barrel on it.

You said you wanted to take an AR15A4, cut it to 16.5", and open up the gas port.

That is the exact definition of a dissipator.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    You said you wanted to take an AR15A4, cut it to 16.5", and open up the gas port.

That is the exact definition of a dissipator.
    A dissipator will typically have a rifle length handguard and front sight position but a shorter gas system.

1280px-Dissipator_Barrel.JPG
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    A dissipator will typically have a rifle length handguard and front sight position but a shorter gas system.

1280px-Dissipator_Barrel.JPG
    What you speak of is a mock dissipator. I would know, I own one. 16" Barrel, mid .078 gas, fixed Rifle FSB, I put a KAC rifle length surplus rail on it, married it to a A2 lower... I even made it real purty with some Rustoleum flat tan...

A real dissipator is a 16" barrel with Rifle gas. Thats the actual definition. OP said he wants to take a AR15A4 and cut to 16.5". = Dissipator. Then said he doesnt want a dissipator.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's always this: http://www.dpmsinc.com/TAC2_ep_89-1.html

Or the more basic version: http://www.dpmsinc.com/TACTICAL-16_ep_107-1.html

EDIT: Or for something higher end to meet your design, you could get this barrel: http://micromoa.com/16-rifle-gas-flu...to-1-7-barrel/
    Last edited by mig1nc; 08-26-16 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    Unless its a fair weather cleaned and lube range toy using full port power 5.56 of the same type exclusively, then I would not advise doing this with a 16" 5.56 rifle gas.
    If it was 100% suppressed, It can be very doable. Porting just depends on the action, ammo, and can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast