Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory TRP - history needed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Springfield Armory TRP - history needed

I've got the opportunity to sell my Range Officer and pick up a TRP for south of $1k. I've pretty excited about it and have been actively shopping my RO and have just found out that the TRP has a 1997 manufacture date. Can anyone out there with a little more knowledge on the TRP help me out with what's changed over the years since Springfield introduced the TRP. It is a operator model of that helps at all.

Thanks in advance, I've tried searching the interweb but a lot of what I'm finding is from 2007+ and not much dates back to 1997.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is the round count on that TRP? Do you know and trust the seller? Is it marked "TRP" and does it come with the box and papers indicating it is such? I would check with Springfield Armory as to what it is. IIRC, the original TRPs had funky railed dust covers and adjustable sights sunk into milled recesses in the slide...Pachmayr grips. too. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    The biggest difference I can think of is where it's made. They used to be made in Brazil but have since switched to the US. I don't know what year that happened though. The US produced version's serial numbers start with "NM".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the help guys, not sure if it was a scam or not but the guy refused to use something like PaySafe and only wanted a Walmart money transfer or USPS money order. I'm going to consider the deal a no go and look more into a range officer operator or colt rail gun, thanks again!

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Was it a guy on this forum? There was a scammer trying to sell an operator for 950. Too good to be true? It was unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, I found him on Armslist. Knew it was too good to be true but was hoping it wasn't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AOBrien View Post
    No, I found him on Armslist. Knew it was too good to be true but was hoping it wasn't.
    My suggestion is to only use Arms List for face to face sales. It seems that nearly everything else is a scam.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I may add but bear with me. I distinctly remember the original MC Operators being somewhat different when they were first released. With the MCOP it had a flat end to the rail like the FBI Operators do. Not the slant cut like current MCOP have. The thumb safety's were Wilson parts. Rear sights were Genuine Novak LoMounts. Probably other quality parts that are escaping me now. But all of this was because they hadn't gone to "mass produced, third party no name parts" yet for those types of guns like they have now. I'm willing to bet those early TRP's are going to have the same type of quality parts in it minus the rail and Pachmayrs.

I don't read script, script reads me.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I would stay away from Armslist.

As for a 1997 TRP, I had one, back in 1997. Kept it about 2 or three years before selling it to generate funds for something else.

The 97 TRP came in two models stainless steel and another one in all black "Armory Coat" finish (polymer similar to Black T and other similar). It did NOT have a light rail, the rear sight was a Novak fixed sight. The thumb safety was single sided. The 20 LPI checkering were SHARP ! skin chafing sharp. The shape of the dust cover was a little more square than the Colt profile, so the TRP fits a little tighter in a custom leather holster made for the conventional Colt gun, it will fit, but very tight. It had the GI style short recoil spring rod. Checkered wood grips, no logo or brand on it, nondescript grips. The gun was fitted finger tight, i.e. you don't need a bushing tool to disassemble.

The original price was $800 in 1997. This gun is not to be confused with today's TRP.

I believe it had "made in Brazil" on the dust cover, it's been almost 20 years so the memory isn't quite as good. The gun very 100% reliable and very accurate.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AOBrien View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, not sure if it was a scam or not but the guy refused to use something like PaySafe and only wanted a Walmart money transfer or USPS money order. I'm going to consider the deal a no go and look more into a range officer operator or colt rail gun, thanks again!
    Look into the revised MC operator. Now comes with golf ballish checkering on front strap. VZ Grips. Rail. NOT A BULL BARREL. IT is around $1,150 $1,250. I don't care for the night sights, but it does have them.
    It's a green gun. FYI

I would like to own one.
    Good luck.
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast