Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing HK VP9 TRS spring

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

Installing HK VP9 TRS spring

I am having difficulty re-installing the trigger return spring (TRS) on my VP9 and was wondering if the HK TRS tool was absolutely necessary in order to install it. The tool itself just looks like some needle nose pliers that have been slimmed down. Can you substitute needle nose pliers instead?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The tool makes it "easy peasy" to install HK trigger springs. I've never tried to do it without the tool, but I'm sure it can be done with a couple spare springs and a lot of cussing.

The tool is actually just a pair of needle nose that are slimmed down to fit in the confined space and have notches on the inside face to keep the spring from slipping out of the jaws.You could make your own tool using a pair of needle nose and a Dremel.

A quick tip... you need both hands to do the job so I made a wooden block that fits snugly in the mag well, I clamp the bock in a vice, insert the block into the mag well, now I have both hands free to work on the FCG.
    Last edited by BBossman; 08-28-16 at 06:12.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    PM if you want to borrow the tool.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Why would one have to do that & where would you find those tools? BTW Im loving my VP9 and picked up a VP40. I have two sets Trijicon HDs on the way along with an MGW shoe for them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any tools or parts needed to work on an HK can be found at www.HKparts.net.

Yes, the TRS can be installed without the proper tool but is much easier to do it with the pliers created for it. I've done it with and without these pliers on USPs and P series pistols and will never again attempt it without the proper tools.

In a pinch, a cheap pair of needle nose pliers can be ground down to create your own tool. I'm sure the nose mods can be found on the interwebs somewhere.
    Last edited by BangBang77; 08-28-16 at 12:29. Reason: Damn auto correct...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a pic of the TRS pliers.

VP9 TRS.jpg

I found that putting the edge of the pliers on the left edge of the spring works best. The front side is placed in first, and tensioned as you push the spring back into the frame. The pliers indentation makes it easier to push the rear tail back into place on the frame.

Can send out the pliers on loan if needed.
    I can only hope, one day, to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.

Feedback Score
    Rather than buy the tool, you could probably go to WalMart and buy a cheap set of needle nose pliers and grind the 'fingers' down as required.

Feedback Score
    What about a pair of hemostats?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hemostats still won't have the modifications to the inside of the jaws necessary that make the TRS tool as effective as it is. I've also reinstalled the TRS spring with regular old needle-nose pliers, but in an effort to grip the spring securely enough, I might have accidentally distorted it... if a normal spring resembles |||||, mine is a little more like ///// now. I'm buying the tool before I mess with the spring again, which is because I'll be replacing it.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Took me 3 hours to do mine without the tool. Get the tool.

If you invest enough time you can make it happen without the tool, but I'm not going to attempt it without one again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast