Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used Hornady 68gr. Match HPBT much?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Anyone used Hornady 68gr. Match HPBT much?

Hello there everyone. I just ordered a box of Hornady Match 68gr. HPBT for reloading for my AR's. I've been using Sierra Matchking 69gr. HPBTs for a LONG time, with stellar results. I thought of trying the Hornady's, since I've heard so many people swear by them, and they have a higher B.C. I just got them in the mail today, and compared one of them with a SMK, and the Hornady's are a LOT longer! Almost as long as a 75gr. round! I have a 1/9" barrel, which shoots the 69 SMK's the best of all rounds I've tried, so these Hornady's probably aren't going to fare as well, especially since I'm going to have to seat them so deeply to fit into my Pmags...
    Anyone here use the Hornady's? What do you think of them? I will be using mainly RL-15, and perhaps some TAC. Thanks for all info!
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No one?
    I just got a few rounds of it loaded, will go and throw a few groups Thursday, weather permitting. We'll see if those longer bullets are going to be affected by my 1/9" barrel, which shoots the shorter 69 Sierra Matchkings better than any other bullet I've tried so far.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I tried out those 68gr OTMs in two different 1:9 ARs. In one case they performed badly (8 MOA) and in one case even worse (8 MOA + keyholing, even at 25 yards.) I think they are too long to get adequately stabilized by a 1:9 spin. These were both 16" barrels, FWIW.

They did fair at lower velocities for some reason. I was running them in front of BLC2. Once I got up to 26.0, 26.2, and 26.5gr, the really bad groups started to make themselves evident.

My experience makes me think you'll be less than happy with them unless you use them in a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    I tried out those 68gr OTMs in two different 1:9 ARs. In one case they performed badly (8 MOA) and in one case even worse (8 MOA + keyholing, even at 25 yards.) I think they are too long to get adequately stabilized by a 1:9 spin. These were both 16" barrels, FWIW.

They did fair at lower velocities for some reason. I was running them in front of BLC2. Once I got up to 26.0, 26.2, and 26.5gr, the really bad groups started to make themselves evident.

My experience makes me think you'll be less than happy with them unless you use them in a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel.
    Well crap, that's what I was afraid of ... I just don't get it - why does Hornady want to make them so darn long?? They're just a hair bit shorter than a freakin' 77 SMK! If someone has a 1/7" or 1/8" barrel, that can shoot those super long bullets, why would they buy 68's when they can reap the benefits of the 75/77's? I got some rounds loaded, but it's pouring rain here today, so I can't test them. Right now, out of all loads and bullets I've shot out of my rifle, best performance has been with the 69 SMK's, 25.3gr. RL-15, CCI SR Magnum, Lake City brass, 2.7" C.O.L. - which gets me just a smidge over 0.5" @ 100yds (5 shot groups). I can get .88" with 77gr., so my 1/9 can throw them without keyholing, but they just aren't near as accurate as the 69's. Thanx for the info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Well crap, that's what I was afraid of ... I just don't get it - why does Hornady want to make them so darn long?? They're just a hair bit shorter than a freakin' 77 SMK! If someone has a 1/7" or 1/8" barrel, that can shoot those super long bullets, why would they buy 68's when they can reap the benefits of the 75/77's? I got some rounds loaded, but it's pouring rain here today, so I can't test them. Right now, out of all loads and bullets I've shot out of my rifle, best performance has been with the 69 SMK's, 25.3gr. RL-15, CCI SR Magnum, Lake City brass, 2.7" C.O.L. - which gets me just a smidge over 0.5" @ 100yds (5 shot groups). I can get .88" with 77gr., so my 1/9 can throw them without keyholing, but they just aren't near as accurate as the 69's. Thanx for the info.
    When you do try those 68gr OTMs, do post back, I'm curious how they will perform for you. Obviously not every rifle/barrel is the same. I haven't tried the 69gr SMKs, those are next on my list, based on what others have said. It is good to know that you've had such good results with them as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok, I finally got to test some. I tried loading them at max. magazine length in my rifle (2.265"), because the longer I get them, the better the accuracy is, in ALL rounds I've tried. The good news is that even though they are almost as long as 75 grainers, they shoot very well. The bad news is that the 69 Sierra Matchkings mop the floor with them LOL. I started at 24gr. of RL-15, and worked up to 26.5, and then stopped because accuracy started degrading. The best groups came from 25.0gr. I was using brand new Remington brass, trimmed and VLD chamfered, shooting at 100 yards, on a clear, calm, sunny day, with virtually no wind, not even a breeze.
    I also shot several groups of my 69 SMK loads, for comparison.
    The average out of five 5 shot groups with the SMK's was 0.550".
    The average out of five 5 shot groups with the H 68's was 0.861".
    In my particular rifle, they shoot just a hair bit better than the heaviest bullets I've ever shot out of it, Hornady TAP 75gr, which averaged around 0.90".
    I feel pretty confident that my next rifle I am building (based on a DPMS Mini-SASS 18" 5.56 fluted bull barrel 1/8" twist) will do a lot better.
    Looks like I'll have to find someone to trade with me on the 75 rounds I have left of these LOL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Ok, I finally got to test some. I tried loading them at max. magazine length in my rifle (2.265"), because the longer I get them, the better the accuracy is, in ALL rounds I've tried. The good news is that even though they are almost as long as 75 grainers, they shoot very well. The bad news is that the 69 Sierra Matchkings mop the floor with them LOL. I started at 24gr. of RL-15, and worked up to 26.5, and then stopped because accuracy started degrading. The best groups came from 25.0gr. I was using brand new Remington brass, trimmed and VLD chamfered, shooting at 100 yards, on a clear, calm, sunny day, with virtually no wind, not even a breeze.
    I also shot several groups of my 69 SMK loads, for comparison.
    The average out of five 5 shot groups with the SMK's was 0.550".
    The average out of five 5 shot groups with the H 68's was 0.861".
    In my particular rifle, they shoot just a hair bit better than the heaviest bullets I've ever shot out of it, Hornady TAP 75gr, which averaged around 0.90".
    I feel pretty confident that my next rifle I am building (based on a DPMS Mini-SASS 18" 5.56 fluted bull barrel 1/8" twist) will do a lot better.
    Looks like I'll have to find someone to trade with me on the 75 rounds I have left of these LOL.
    You got WAY better results than I did. My OAL was 2.250", but I seriously doubt 0.015" longer would've fixed my groups. Your 1:8 ought to do much better with 'em, but you got pretty good results for a 1:9 for sure.

Feedback Score
    When you try a new projectile, it's also a good idea to try a few different powder selections.
    Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combination.
    A slightly faster or slower burn rate can really make a huge difference.

Feedback Score
    This is the thread I've been hunting for! Trying to decide what powder to use. R15 or Varget.

I've been using the hornady 68 and 75 gr match bullets in my rifle. H335 on both was just "meh". 1.5 at best.
    This is using fully processed FC brass (mixed batch range or personal once fired). Maxed to magazine length.
    AA2520 was a failure across the board. Even on light bullets.

I know the rifle is capable of better. 55gr Nosler varmeggedons with 24gr H335 are a ragged 1/2" hole with 5 shots at 50 yds.
    PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate MOE Freedom Rifle
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    You dug up a thread from 08 I doubt these guys are around anymore.

Pick up a pound IMR 8208 it will be the bomb for the 75's and it should work ok for the 68's also.

CCI 400, Hornady 75gr bthp match COL 2.250", 22.1gr IMR 8208, 20" barrel 2574fps (there is another node above this one but might put you over book. If your running a NATO or Wylde chamber it should be fine but proceed with caution.) I on average shoot about 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards with this load and take it to around 900 yards with regularity. This is with a 1-8 twist 20" but it stabilizes just fine in both my 1-9 twist barrels one is 16" one is 20"
    Last edited by Kansaswoodguy; 11-29-16 at 18:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast