Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gear Loadout is Finished

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Gear Loadout is Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    The TRI Clone of the Thales is the one Euro and I have been running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You can even get Tupac on the Rx freq when it's raining.
    I just bought my TRI PRC-148. I can't wait to get it. Thank you Outlander and Euro for all the input and commentary. The spousal unit issued me two Baofengs last Christmas, and for the price, I think they are pretty decent radios.. But now it’s time to put on my big-boy commo pants and get a man- radio! (Or a clone thereof) So.. I have the radio on the way. Docsherm recommended a good antenna extension, and I bought that. But I need some help on the antenna(s)

I haven't seen any pics from Euro's load out, but I'm guessing he has a blade antenna, I may be wrong, just a guess. I've seen some of the blade antennas on eBay, Thales and Harris so that's an option. However I don't have a PC that has a lot of PALS on it. My PC is a Beez NIJ II low viz carrier, however I do have an extended harness on my chest rig, so I have a 4x8 section of PALS (4 columns x 8 rows) Based on my cipherin' skills, I believe I can secure a blade there, but also my camelbak attaches at that point also. Would that be a problem?

So considering those parameters, I have been looking at the TCI Mast. I found this mast antenna on Safariland, priced the same as on Shamazon, and I think it's got what I need. But I would really value yours and Euro's opinion.

There are a few things I like about this option. It's got a QD adapter, which would make quick work to disconnect from the mast and connect to my J-pole/Slim Jim antenna you recommended to me. And as mentioned, I don't have a ton of PALS. So that TCI mast could be attached on the back of my harness out of the way, but still with some LOS capability. Lastly, it is more low viz option, which is important to a degree, but not more so than me getting good rx/tx range. On the website, there are some very positive reviews from a guy that took it on a few deployments and from what looks like some LEO teams.

So based on that, is this a better option or with my harness am I still G2G to go with the blade antenna? Positives on the blade are that it costs a little less $$ and I'm more familiar with it. OK, so it's just an antenna, but I have a higher comfort level just because I've used them in my secret squirrel past. My goal however is not to save $30 bucks, but to get what is best, not what is just cheap. Because some day I may find myself employed as a mall security asset, or maybe even Wallymart. I will need to get kitted up for such hi-speed low-drag ops. :-)

So how I envision my setup is I will have a mobile antenna, blade or mast, based on you guys recommendation, and as mentioned that roll up from nelson_antennas. If I need extended range beyond the mast or blade, I'll pull out my rollup from my multipurpose pouch and throw it up in a tree so I can listen to Tupac singing a duet with Tony Bennett, hopefully it will be in the rain. I will be listening through a TCI Liberator II headset.

I really appreciate the advice from you guys and from anyone else with experience in tactical comms! Thank you!

RTT

For anyone interested here is the link for the antenna extension: Military Antenna Relocator Extension - PRC-148 PRC-152 MBITR-JEM Harris Thales Big thanks to my friend Docsherm for finding this one.

My TT extended harness:

I doubt anyone is reading this post, it seems played out, but on the outside chance someone's interested in seeing the antenna extension I mentioned above, I thought I'd post some pics of it.
    It looks to be pretty well made, the ends are sturdy and have been shrink wrapped and a sealant around the bottom of the boot as well. It measures 46" long. Came packaged in a small bubble-wrap envelope, after all it is just a cable.

My radio should be in Texas soon, still don't know which direction to go on an antenna, but I'll figure that out.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-17-16 at 20:50.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rig.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I just bought my TRI PRC-148. I can't wait to get it. Thank you Outlander and Euro for all the input and commentary. The spousal unit issued me two Baofengs last Christmas, and for the price, I think they are pretty decent radios.. But now it’s time to put on my big-boy commo pants and get a man- radio! (Or a clone thereof) So.. I have the radio on the way. Docsherm recommended a good antenna extension, and I bought that. But I need some help on the antenna(s)

I haven't seen any pics from Euro's load out, but I'm guessing he has a blade antenna, I may be wrong, just a guess. I've seen some of the blade antennas on eBay, Thales and Harris so that's an option. However I don't have a PC that has a lot of PALS on it. My PC is a Beez NIJ II low viz carrier, however I do have an extended harness on my chest rig, so I have a 4x8 section of PALS (4 columns x 8 rows) Based on my cipherin' skills, I believe I can secure a blade there, but also my camelbak attaches at that point also. Would that be a problem?

So considering those parameters, I have been looking at the TCI Mast. I found this mast antenna on Safariland, priced the same as on Shamazon, and I think it's got what I need. But I would really value yours and Euro's opinion.

There are a few things I like about this option. It's got a QD adapter, which would make quick work to disconnect from the mast and connect to my J-pole/Slim Jim antenna you recommended to me. And as mentioned, I don't have a ton of PALS. So that TCI mast could be attached on the back of my harness out of the way, but still with some LOS capability. Lastly, it is more low viz option, which is important to a degree, but not more so than me getting good rx/tx range. On the website, there are some very positive reviews from a guy that took it on a few deployments and from what looks like some LEO teams.

So based on that, is this a better option or with my harness am I still G2G to go with the blade antenna? Positives on the blade are that it costs a little less $$ and I'm more familiar with it. OK, so it's just an antenna, but I have a higher comfort level just because I've used them in my secret squirrel past. My goal however is not to save $30 bucks, but to get what is best, not what is just cheap. Because some day I may find myself employed as a mall security asset, or maybe even Wallymart. I will need to get kitted up for such hi-speed low-drag ops. :-)

So how I envision my setup is I will have a mobile antenna, blade or mast, based on you guys recommendation, and as mentioned that roll up from nelson_antennas. If I need extended range beyond the mast or blade, I'll pull out my rollup from my multipurpose pouch and throw it up in a tree so I can listen to Tupac singing a duet with Tony Bennett, hopefully it will be in the rain. I will be listening through a TCI Liberator II headset.

I really appreciate the advice from you guys and from anyone else with experience in tactical comms! Thank you!

RTT

For anyone interested here is the link for the antenna extension: Military Antenna Relocator Extension - PRC-148 PRC-152 MBITR-JEM Harris Thales Big thanks to my friend Docsherm for finding this one.

My TT extended harness:

I doubt anyone is reading this post, it seems played out, but on the outside chance someone's interested in seeing the antenna extension I mentioned above, I thought I'd post some pics of it.
    It looks to be pretty well made, the ends are sturdy and have been shrink wrapped and a sealant around the bottom of the boot as well. It measures 46" long. Came packaged in a small bubble-wrap envelope, after all it is just a cable.

My radio should be in Texas soon, still don't know which direction to go on an antenna, but I'll figure that out.
    I am interested.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by quino171 View Post
    I am interested.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hey Quino, rather than hijacking Euros post, I started my own and will talk about all the components I've bought for my comms setup so far. Click HERE for the link to the new thread.

Thanks Robert

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...p-on-Chest-Rig
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    OMG!?!?! Programming kit!? GAME CHANGER!
    What became of this? I looked at the FB link and didn't see any download or service options. I know y'all have said to enter things on the keypad but there was a pic above that showed a screenshot of what looked like programming software.

Does anyone think a legit Thales programming cable might work?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Generally speaking manual programming is a huge benefit. That said, negative on the Thales cable working.

I'm also not sure if TRI ever did release the programming cable for these.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    What became of this? I looked at the FB link and didn't see any download or service options. I know y'all have said to enter things on the keypad but there was a pic above that showed a screenshot of what looked like programming software.

Does anyone think a legit Thales programming cable might work?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Generally speaking manual programming is a huge benefit. That said, negative on the Thales cable working.

I'm also not sure if TRI ever did release the programming cable for these.
    Ok. Im pretty decent on set up and comm gear stuff but I'm learning the specifics on radio stuff as far as programming. That's like Greek to me at the moment. How are the TRI instructions on programming because I have zero experience manually programming a radio. I got a Puxing radio and it was complete shit and the instructions didn't help as well as the key pad was locked and the programming cable didn't work either nor did the software.

I'm little skeptical of jumping into a more expensive radio from a similar source. I put great stock in y'all saying it's super durable and legit but it's the technical stuff I need help with. What are the best sources to understanding "the weeds" of this so to speak?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678