Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets look at/talk about EDC/Weapon Lights OTHER than Surefire.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lets look at/talk about EDC/Weapon Lights OTHER than Surefire.

What other brands besides Surefire are you gents using for SHTF, weapon light, home/car..just whatever.
    There are some people who say "nothing but Surefire" and "nothing is as reliable as Surefire".
    I wholeheartedly disagree.
    As one who has "gotten into" the UNIVERSE of modern handheld lighting the past couple years, Ive seen two things happen..
    One, consumers are very knowledgeable & demanding in both features and reliability/durability.
    Two..makers have responded with some truly remarkable products. Also- batteries are getting better & better by the day almost.
    If you want a taste of the state of modern day lights...go to a forum like CandlePower Forums and check it out. One of many. Youll be there awhile, I promise.
    Anyway- back to my question: What else are yall using & recommending?
    Myself- Im a fan of Nitecore & Inova stuff. Awaiting arrival of my Nitecore TIP keychain light. 360 lumens and a shit ton of other features.
    Weapon lights are Inforce APL & WML. I so own 3 SF lights...but there several other brands with many different models that are better lights with more features. Anyone here own/use Elzetta lights? Been curious about those for some time.
    Looking forward to other opinions.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Streamlight has been nothing but reliable for myself and I know dozens of others love them

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Streamlight, Fenix and Insight are all solid brands with good offerings.

Feedback Score
    Have used Surefire, Streamlight and Elzetta all work well I really like the new streamlight Duel fuel AA/123 for SHTF possibilities
    I am the military products manager for Lasermax

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have two streamlight standard LED flashlights lying around the house and they are both awesome. I also have a new Streamlight Protac 600L on one of my AR's and it's awesome as well. I have never had an issue with their brand. I've also heard fantastic things about Elzetta.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Love my Streamlight PolyTac

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For weapon/EDC defensive lights, Malkoff is probably the only company I would use besides Surefire. Elzetta makes a solid light too, but I'm not that crazy about their beams.

Also, if Arisaka would make a pocket clip-ready body for their M3/M6 lights, I'd probably use that... (hint hint, Will).

For a utility light, I still prefer the Surefire Sidekick to every other EDC utility light I've ever used. Maybe something else is similar, but I don't know about it.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 08-30-16 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTMAJ View Post
    Have used Surefire, Streamlight and Elzetta all work well I really like the new streamlight Duel fuel AA/123 for SHTF possibilities
    I just bought one of those for one of my minions to test. He is constantly crawling around server rooms, breaking lights, dropping them ,etc.

He likes it so much that I doubt I'll get it back.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I fear I may have had something to do with the start of this thread. If so, yay me. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    For weapon/EDC defensive lights, Malkoff is probably the only company I would use besides Surefire. Elzetta makes a solid light too, but I'm not that crazy about their beams.

Also, if Arisaka would make a pocket clip-ready body for their M3/M6 lights, I'd probably use that... (hint hint, Will).

For a utility light, I still prefer the Surefire Sidekick to every other EDC utility light I've ever used. Maybe something else is similar, but I don't know about it.
    I am with you here brother. And I got your back in the upcoming horde since I fear we may be attacked.
    And yes, Will if you listening, I'd buy three, and if you offer a good pocket clip and offer to sell spares I'd buy five because that is my biggest ****ing gripe with Surefire's ED1/2 and the like line. Great clips, but they bend and I need extras because it happens. It is why I keep several extra clips for my knives on hand.

That said, I am all for more options on the market, and I will be the first to admit I can be hard to please in the current climate because I have very particular needs/wants.

I have had something like 8 Streamlights in the past years and for weapon lights their TLR1/2 series served me well. I will not lie. However, the strobe feature I found to be less than to my tastes and after inadvertently actuating it while room clearing I went to an X300U for both the similar function and because it was a the time to big beam weapon light and I needed something that would reach out further to the dark corners. I have the Surefire still, the Streamlights have been sold o traded off. Not to say I wouldn't buy another, I would, but for the cost difference I would likely just stick with my Surefires. For long gun lights, I still consider the Scouts to be king, though the Inforce options are interesting though not sure if they are still having issues with battery drain, I haven't kept up on it, Will's bodies though bring an interesting option to the market as do Malkoffs. I also understand Streamlights offerings are popular, but they haven't been tested to near the extent of the Scouts and like the Acog, the Scout's have a rather impressive history of durability and again I can configure to meet my needs.

That said, for EDC lights, it is to each their own. I used to carry an old Pelican M1, like a little 40 lumen single cell LED. Still have that light, still use it, still like it, but it doesn't meet the mission requirements that I have now. My main light is primarily a defensive tool, it can be pressed into other tasks though. For a lower output admin light I have a Titan, yes, another Surefire light, but for a keychain light it has lasted longer than any other keychain light including a streamlight by months and a better part of a year. I killed 2 streamlight stylus pocket lights and a keychain light in less than a month each, the Nano I am pretty sure lasted less than 2 weeks. Granted the Titan costs $50 and the total for the three Streamlights were maybe $40 total, but hey, the $50 light has lasted. If the Streamlight or others meets needs, budget, and your missions, rock on. Each has a place and I am not blind enough to think there is one size fits all. Lots of options out there, just like you have with ARs, Colt, LMT, BCM, DD, and others. What meets the needs and wants? Are some better? Perhaps, but to what degree?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The light on the right has been my EDC for a few years and has yet to fail me. It's a collection of Foursevens parts: the QT2L-X Turbo head (780 lumens) and a single AA body. It's powered by an IMR 14500 LiMn cell and weighs 2.4 ounces as shown. I clip it in a front pocket and it rides like I don't even know it's there.

The light on the right is made up of a SF Z44 bezel with a M61N Malkoff drop-in, an Oveready 3P Delrin body and tailcap and is powered with an IMR 18350 cell. I plan on picking up an Arisaka keymod mount to put the light to good use.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-01-16 at 13:43.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast