Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one for first time hog hunting

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which one for first time hog hunting

I'm heading to Tennesee this spring for a hog hunt. Russian boar, to be exact. My options for firearms are my tried and true Marlin 30-30 with Skinner peep sights, or my BCM middy with acog. I've read that both will do then job with correct ammo and shot placement. The hunt will be on foot in the woods, so things could get kinda hairy quick. Never hunted boar, so I'm looking for you experienced guys to help this newbie hog hunter out. What would you grab? I love my marlin, but feel the urge to use the AR.
    Sol1777

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've never gone personally, and I want to. But being the owner of both an early sixties Marlin .30-.30 and an AR.

Take em both. Hopefully you can use both if you're going after more than one hog.

If only one, take what's best for you accuracy and comfort ability wise. A clean kill is an ethical kill. But, you knew that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It depends on whether you are shooting 1 or 2.....or more like 15 at a time. The AR is a bit on the light side. A well placed shot will do the job, but you may have to shoot more than once. Shot placement is key, but once they start trotting or running it gets very hard. In truth, when I see 15 or so I want them all...but its more about extermination than an actual hunt.

If its some kind of trophy hunt, I would use the 30 and practice on moving targets or swinging the gun and shooting. It sounds like you have shot the 30 quite a bit.

Is it illegal to use dogs for the hunt ? and just stick one ? Use a big fixed blade knife tho.

Hogs are more interested in running away than coming full on at you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah I have shot the 30-30 a lot more. There might be the opportunity for more than one pig, but I'm not greedy. I just want so meat. I'd have the chance to use a stand if I choose, just kicking them up seems more fun than sitting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In oklahoma and texas when a herd pull out in front of you, its all about how many you can take down. 556 will bounce off their heads if they are facing you and you cannot get a heart shot, which is low front chest. The ear will work tho. I carry different guns, but always have an AR with 3 mags on me when driving around the farm. As you can tell its more of a slaughter. I have yet to shoot one with my 338 in the head yet tho. They seem to have disappeared. I did kill one in the crik tho with my 1911. That was fun chasing it, but lots of rounds. It was about 300 pounds.

Since your hunting for meat the 30 will do a fine job on a nice small one. You can find some pics on the net on where to hit them exactly....maybe print up a few targets for practice. Be sure to come back with some pics and maybe a vid if its a guided hunt. Its a great time to be had. The only thing better is killing 10-15 at a time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info. I think I might bring them both with me. Use the 30-30 for kicking them up in the woods, and maybe the 5.56 from a blind where a more precision shot can be had. It's just going to be one hog for each hunter. Can't wait til spring. I'll spend,my time practicing with both firearms.
    Sol1777

Feedback Score
    I'm like Wilson, being in TX most people want to exterminate as many as possible. Since you're wanting the meat use the 30-30. My brother used his, nailed the pig in the neck (don't know how) and dropped the pig where he stood. It is all about shot placement. The skull is extremely tough and the shoulder blade is almost like armor so you need some punch going for the vitals.

Here's a little guy (60 lbs) I got with my 1911 while a heard was on the run.
    [/URL]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EODbusch; 08-31-16 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The .223 is adequate for hogs, provided that you place your shot well.

The .30-30 is excellent for hogs if you place your shot well, and adequate for hogs if you don't.

My personal experience with the .30-30 out of a Marlin lever gun is that a well placed shot with Barnes copper bullets will anchor a hog immediately. I'd also say that if you're hunting thick cover, a Marlin with a 16" or 18" barrel is exceptionally handy, especially if it has a relatively short LOP. Another point in favor of the Marlin is that if you're in thick brush, you are more likely to be faced with a shot that is at a less than ideal angle, and only available for a short period of time. That is where the extra bullet weight of the .30-30 will shine against the .223.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Either. It won't matter to the hog.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's a really nice piggy, did you have it processed ? Only the small ones taste good. The bigger ones not so much.....they are like putting ass in your mouth to me.

45 acp bounces off the skull at point blank also, leaving nice creases in the forehead.

Excellent pic bro !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast