Thread: Opinions of SOCOM 7.62 Mini/Mini-2, esp. vs. 7.62 RC on a 6.5CM and Grendel?

Feedback Score

Opinions of SOCOM 7.62 Mini/Mini-2, esp. vs. 7.62 RC on a 6.5CM and Grendel?

I'm curious how effective, comfortable to the shooter especially, a SOCOM 7.62 Mini is on 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel. Folks have said the SOCOM 7.62 RC is great, but I'm wondering if the Mini is good enough plus lighter and smaller, and if it's good with Grendel but maybe not so great with Creed due to the extra gas volume.

Feedback Score
    What is your goal?

Hearing safe v, overall length?

If you want something that isn't going to blow your ears out, then the mini isn't the first choice.

I get the feeling that these baffle stacks like high pressure.

Why are you choosing these cans over a dead air sandman L, or S or a rigged surge or a sig srd762qd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Go thunder beast.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Sort of an "if this, then that" proposition.

First off, I like and have already standardized on SOCOM muzzle devices. However I might be persuadable to the Sandman S if it's a very effective compromise of length, sound and low backpressure as I do like the brake design, however I'm more inclined to stick a Warcomp on a Grendel, and then run a brake on anything in Creed. I don't like the others' brakes you mentioned, and I really don't have a ton of love for Sig generally. Durability and accuracy/repeatability are my first concerns, then backpressure, weight and length, then flash, then sound reduction as long as it's good enough on a Grendel and bolt action 6.5 Creed.

I want something that won't ring the ears with blast with a 6.5 Creed from a bolt gun shot in the open, but I don't expect more than shootability, improved accuracy, and blast killing on a Creed AR-10-- I'd expect a little ringing without some unstopped SF Earpro, but I'd hope that would suffice even with a 7.62 Mini2. On an 18" 6.5 Grendel, I want it to be about like my 5.56-RC2 on my well tuned 16" where it gives me zero gas in the face and nothing crazy in action trash, and it's pretty comfy prone in the open on dirt. This is assuming a well tuned port and buffer system.

You think that's about where the 7.62 Mini2 would fall, and how does the Sandman S compare on each point? I will say, despite the sticking potential of the SOCOM design, the ability to shoot it off seems the ultimate failsafe, and I'm not sure if the Sandman is incapable of locking one out of that option.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    What is your goal?

Hearing safe v, overall length?

If you want something that isn't going to blow your ears out, then the mini isn't the first choice.

I get the feeling that these baffle stacks like high pressure.

Why are you choosing these cans over a dead air sandman L, or S or a rigged surge or a sig srd762qd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Go thunder beast.

I would only use that dedicated to a bolt gun-- backpressure, erosion rate, and I'm not sure on flash reduction. Maybe farther down the road. Looking for a more versatile true QD option at this stage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VelveteenMole View Post
    I would only use that dedicated to a bolt gun-- backpressure, erosion rate, and I'm not sure on flash reduction. Maybe farther down the road. Looking for a more versatile true QD option at this stage.
    Back pressure is an issue with most cans on gas guns.. if your creed is a bolt go with what will improve its accuracy. I run a few different on my Grendel. I like TBAC as mentioned and AAC , plus the new Hybrid I like too

Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Back pressure is an issue with most cans on gas guns.. if your creed is a bolt go with what will improve its accuracy. I run a few different on my Grendel. I like TBAC as mentioned and AAC , plus the new Hybrid I like too

I get that about gas guns, but there definitely seems to be agreement that some are much worse than others. TBAC is not known for being a "low-backpressure" design from what I've heard and read. As for what will improve accuracy, I'm not sure there's much difference between a Surefire, a TBAC, or a Sandman as all seem to have a repeatable & same or better precision rep in that department. Weight vis a vis POI shift is certainly a consideration, but for instance, my 5.56 RC2 is a perfectly repeatable, straight down .7mil shift, and tightens groups on a Bartlein barreled recce.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I have no experience with 6.5 creedmoor, but my question would be if the mini is rated for it. Surefire states that it is optimized for 7.62x39 up to 308 16" barrels. The RC is well knows for its performance on 300wm and other mag calibers. I just don't know the pressures with your barrel length of the 6.5 and if they would exceed the values of the 308?? Just something to think about. I don't think I personally know of anyone using a RC mini on anything other then SR25's of LMT MWS rifles. Maybe I'm wrong, but something to think about, and someone else could prob set me straight too...
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-17-16 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would ONLY go with the 7.62-mini if OAL was the FIRST priority. I run a 762-RC on my LMT MWS (20" 6.5CM and 18" SS match barrels). The 762-RC sounds and performs very well with the 6.5CM. Every SF rep I have talked to has said to really avoid the mini unless you have a specific length requirement (they sound crappy with 5.56, 300blk etc.). I personally would only run one on a short AR10/SCAR-H platform, to cut down the bark, and flash. FWIW, I added a XH buffer from Clint at Heavy Buffers.com. My ejection is right at 4:30 with the 762-RC. This is exactly where brass was ejecting unsuppressed with the stock H3 buffer.

Another option is the 300 SPS. That is a touch shorter than the 762-RC and is actually quieter. I have NOT tested my 300 SPS with 6.5CM yet, but plan on very soon. I'm curious to compare the back pressure differences.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.