Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Both of those radios are very similar. I would recommend saving the money, and going for one of the standard 5W versions. The extra power will consume more battery, without any actual benefit. A standard version of the UV5R or UV82 with a decent antenna will chokeslam either of the high power versions.

Of the two, I'd lean toward the UV82. My UV5Rs have been absolute turds. A buddy has a UV82 that sees occasional use and is still functioning. Another buddy has a UV82 derivative I gave him when he got his license about 2 years ago, and it's still working as well.

If I had to go back and do it all over again, and didn't want to spring for a Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu handheld, I would have picked up a Puxing PX-888K.

All these Baofeng questions have me contemplating doing a new thread on entry-level radios...
    That thread would be very helpful!

I'm familiar with Kenwood from my LE work but I know they'd be more expensive. I probably won't even end up buying anything for HAM but I'm definitely curious about the options.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The first thing to decide on is what you want from the radio. Once you've nailed down your goals, it's very easy to asses the available options and acquire something that meets your Commo needs/wants, as well as your budget.

I will say this, if you can manually program a Baofeng, you'll have developed the skill to manually program anything with buttons. Its menu is workable, but it's about the most unforgiving, user-unfriendly device with an antenna I've ever had to wrangle. Once you get it down, it's no longer a challenge, but compared to an Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, or even a P25 Motorola, it definitely involves some finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    That thread would be very helpful!

I'm familiar with Kenwood from my LE work but I know they'd be more expensive. I probably won't even end up buying anything for HAM but I'm definitely curious about the options.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The first thing to decide on is what you want from the radio. Once you've nailed down your goals, it's very easy to asses the available options and acquire something that meets your Commo needs/wants, as well as your budget.

I will say this, if you can manually program a Baofeng, you'll have developed the skill to manually program anything with buttons. Its menu is workable, but it's about the most unforgiving, user-unfriendly device with an antenna I've ever had to wrangle. Once you get it down, it's no longer a challenge, but compared to an Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, or even a P25 Motorola, it definitely involves some finesse.
    I guess it would more or less be SHTF or grid going down for a while. I was asking about the NVIS because of its greater distance.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that. HF is the ultimate grid-down communications tool; however, a good radio is going to be the price of a decent handgun. A lot of folks unfamiliar with the current crop of radios aren't aware of the capabilities. A friend and I regularly email each other using ham radios. It's a pretty broad area that goes beyond just voice communications.

If you don't have interest in the licensing, you can actually squeeze some decent performance out of CB radios.

I guess it would more or less be SHTF or grid going down for a while. I was asking about the NVIS because of its greater distance.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Roger that. HF is the ultimate grid-down communications tool; however, a good radio is going to be the price of a decent handgun. A lot of folks unfamiliar with the current crop of radios aren't aware of the capabilities. A friend and I regularly email each other using ham radios. It's a pretty broad area that goes beyond just voice communications.

If you don't have interest in the licensing, you can actually squeeze some decent performance out of CB radios.
    I am considering the license. Maybe.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Do it. You won't regret it.

I am considering the license. Maybe.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Is this where the PRC-148 comes in?

What's a good Kenwood model?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The PRC-148 is a solid dual-bander with good selectivity, and a very good antenna. It's also weather/dustproof.

The Kenwood TH-D74A is the TOP DOG of their handheld radios.

Is this where the PRC-148 comes in?

What's a good Kenwood model?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quick Shoutout/Congratulations to Eurodriver for getting his license.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quick Shoutout/Congratulations to Eurodriver for getting his license.
    Thanks homie.

That PRC 148 Is getting serious airtime, but now that I've got D Star it's not getting much use

This morning I talked to a guy in Germany from my front yard.

20 miles away from a repeater.

With a handheld.

Not going to be useful when the grid goes down but it's cool while it's up!

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast