Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the rain AAR - a case for KISS.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is impressive training. I was green with envy watching. ��
    Taught many of us some good points to store in our noodle for a rainy day. Jesus, these just keep coming.

Seriously, I have not one piece of NV gear. That was very cool. I would love to have one rig. Thanks for sharing.

If you were to buy one set up, what would you get , in terms of NV?

I.e. NV for 10.5 SBR, or for your long gun ? Or are they the same ????

Very very cool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Have you tried applying Rain-X to the glass on your optical devices to prevent fogging and aid in water run off?
    I was literally just typing this same question.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    PB, if I was out west with all that BLM land/vacant desert I would be rocking NV so hard.

NV ordinarily consists of a helmet w/ flip down NVD, an IR laser and IR illuminator on the weapon (any weapon) and a place to use the stuff. If you want to shoot long range, taliv can give you tips on clip ons and all the really neat toys that we haven't ventured into yet.

I haven't applied rain-x. I wouldn't want to damage any of my lenses. The acog seems pretty stout, but I don't know how the RMR would take to it. I think the folks over at warriortalk do it.

Our real concern was the IR laser/IR Illum being obstructed when firing, but there doesn't appear to be anything you can do about that other than not shoot under NV. We tried using lasers only, but IR illum was essential without any ambient light.

Really been trying for a while to show how wet it was. Unfortunately iPhones don't capture rainfall well, and gopros looking through PVS14s are even worse. In this still, however, you can see the mud we were dealing with that got all over our weapons, NVGs, lasers, etc. Water was not nearly as bad an issue as the mud was.

Attachment 41238
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-01-16 at 20:19.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Remember the scene in Jack Reacher where he removes the optic to headshot the guy that was holding the girls hostage?

I wonder if it was because the rain and his optic fogging up maybe they thought about some stuff we never would have and put it in the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I used to spend a lot of time in rainy, humid, junglely types of environments.

Drainage is important. Multiple Ziplock bags are also your friend. One can often use a radio while it's taped up inside plastic bags.

At the risk of violating safety rules, being able to shoot without eyewear can also be handy. You just have to remember that the most important safety rule is to always be the shooter, rather than the shootee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I haven't applied rain-x. I wouldn't want to damage any of my lenses. The acog seems pretty stout, but I don't know how the RMR would take to it. I think the folks over at warriortalk do it.
    With the amount you have spent, i would call trijjicon and the nvd maker about the coating and rainx.

I remember a thread at warriortalk about rainx. I cant remember if anyone had issues with longterm use

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 09-01-16 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great thread. KISS is nice. This is why, ironically, I like 45 degree offset irons, if an optic is used. No need to remove the optic and stow it away.
    Ultimately an FSB and rear fixed iron is as KISS as it gets, but the 45 degree offsets are still a good alternative.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Outstanding post, Euro.

A massive motivation in sourcing my own private place to shoot was the ability to work when I want, in weather like that.

It's eye-opening. Irons are still king no matter what. I avoid RMR's for the reasons you found, and even though I believe every gun needs a quality optic to get the most out of it, I believe every gun also should to be able to go back to irons if need-be. The other point I've come to, is every gun needs a white light because every day ends in darkness. I'm unwavering on those two points. One thing that a lot of rain shooting has also gotten me to appreciate is the blessing that is a drop-in handguard... Once you've got a gun completely soaked, playing the "oily Q-tip through the KMR holes" game is... infuriating (hence my most recent search for solid drop-in's or a two-piece FF).

I love using red dots, scopes, NV's when I get the chance, and I would be surprised if I, as a civilian, ever needed to press a gun into service when none of that would work... but I am absolutely a fan of building around a strong, basic core. And perhaps more importantly, I'm a fan of using everything I own in the harshest possible condition and see just where its failure points are. I'm still keeping an RDS on my go-to guns, still actively interested in a closed-emitter RDS for a carry gun, still stoked to use NV's and always considering an NV hunting setup... but one does appreciate the basics.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Try the Cat Crap paste on anything you don't want to fog. That shit works.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've got three cats, and after applying the cat crap all it did was make my gear smell like colon and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Try the Cat Crap paste on anything you don't want to fog. That shit works.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast