Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the rain AAR - a case for KISS.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I've had the same luck with Barbasol, but it was the only thing available for goggles in the early 1980's. We also used it to remove black boot marks off tile floors. Hell, some of us even shaved with it.
    It's great for covering a bolt caked in carbon and wiping it clean, too. It also works to get baked on carbon off of a weapon light's bezel without damaging the O-ring with chemicals (same with toothpaste). Hell, Tabasco sauce cleans rust off of knives (the salt and vinegar are what does it) and the oil from the skin on your nose works to oil the blade and keep it from rusting.

It's amazing what we figure out in the field.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    So basically shooting cleaner burning ammo in the winter or when it is windy is the only real way to prevent clouding up your NV?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Check your PMs, brother.

Nature of the beast with low light shooting and certain ammo types.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent original post.

I've never owned NV, but have had ACOGs and Aimpoints fog. Especially during cool days with high humidity (those kind of days with misty rain). I found I couldn't do anything about the ACOG (short eye relief meant it was close to my face), but the Aimpoint cleared up some when I started breathing through my nose. (After running a little I tend to breath through my mouth). I think I was causing the fog.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    It's great for covering a bolt caked in carbon and wiping it clean, too.
    Barbasol shaving cream will cut bolt carbon?

I need to stop shaving with this stuff - its too freaking valuable on the work bench!!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. Two weeks back we got caught in a heavy rain storm. We were 800 yards from the truck and hauling steel off the mountain. The KMRs didn't bat an eye. It was getting too muddy to shoot, so I didn't get to run my RDS, but I've read that they suck in rain. Good old irons are no doubt a valuable asset in shitty weather.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aww shit guys now we got to stock up on Barbasol!

Feedback Score
    Great thread Euro. I hadn't really thought too much about fighting/ shooting in the rain and fogging of the glass living in Eastern WA.

I am well versed in Cat Crap Paste, had never thought to use Barbasol on my optics though, that is a great idea from back in the day.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrandeGreen View Post
    Aww shit guys now we got to stock up on Barbasol!
    You know, that was always the thing to do before deploying to Turkey! Turkish women loved/required the stuff.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just completed a level two handgun course that took place outdoors where there was intermittent heavy rain throughout. I can attest to the RMR being nearly useless when moisture is involved, the dot will bloom out of control. Although it was only my second time using the RMR, I was really adamant to learn how to effectively use the red dot. It was a good wake up call to be proficient in the co-witnessing irons as well for occasions like that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast